A little bit else I would like to discuss

Discussion in 'Python' started by azrael, Feb 12, 2009.

  1. azrael

    azrael Guest

    Sometimes I really get confused when looking out for a modul for some
    kind of need. Sometimes I get frightened when I get the resaults. 8
    wraper for this, 7 wrapers for that, 10 modules for anything. Between
    them are maybe some kind of small differences, but to work with any of
    the modules, I have to spend 10 hours of reading the help, If there is
    any at all.

    I think that there should be a list on python.org of supported or
    sugested modules for some need. For example Database access. Or GUI
    Building. It is a complete pain in the ass. Let's face the true, TK is
    out of date. There should be another one used and appended to the
    standard Python Library. One that plays well with other platforms. And
    if it does't, let's make it play better.

    Why will Microsoft's products kick the ass of open source. Because
    anyone does what he wants. Let's say There are 5 GUI libraries
    competing against each other. Think about it what could these 5 teams
    acomplish if they would work together. Or maybe a framework for RAD
    GUI devbelopment. after 10 years of python, there is still not one
    application for GUI Building that can beat Visual Studio.

    Anyone I talk to says: "Oh my god, Python and GUI"

    There are a dozen of modules that should be, if you ask me, be
    implemented into Python. Like NumPy, SciPY, PIL. A lot of people I
    talk to, are using them. But everyone has to download them manually
    and hope that if someone is using their code, has also installed the
    needed modules.

    My solution would be:
    Let's make an announcement on Python.org. something like this.

    We need Ideas for creating the a standard library in Python for Image
    processing. Tell us your problem. What do you think which feature
    should be implemented. Which transformation, which algorithm.
    Make a vote. This should be that not.

    But how to start something like that. Anyone that sees a problem that
    should be solved, becomes the project leader. Find the best Ideas and
    make a good library.

    It's is very good that people have a choice. But why not make some
    standards. I know that there is already a standard python library, But
    why not extending it. classify the standard library into subcategories
    like Networking, DataBase, Computation, ......

    One other thing. I am not looking for war on groups. I just would like
    to discuss some things that drive me crazy while using Python.

    This group has a lot of members. not to mention every Python Forum.
    Why not using this number of people and accomplish something great. If
    anyone of us would write 10 line of good code, it would result a very
    great and powerfull environment.

    azrael, Feb 12, 2009