A little curious about something..

Discussion in 'Python' started by Player, Aug 25, 2004.

  1. Player

    Player Guest

    Hell all once again :)

    I just installed Python after giving Activestates distribution of python a
    try for a few days, and I have come across something that strikes me as a
    little weird, to my beginners eye anyways.

    In Activestates distribution of python, Idle or Pythonwin whatever their
    version of Idle is, loaded fast and smoothly, and if I click-held the idle
    GUI and moved the GUI window to reposition it somewhere else of the screen,
    it moved fluidly and fast.

    However with the Idle version in python, the GUI and python it's self loads
    allot slower, and if I do the same click-hold to reposition the idle GUI
    window, it chugs and stutters across the screen as I move it, rather slowly
    and no were near as smoothly and fluidly as the Activestates version of the
    Idle GUI window.

    Why is this? is it something to do with the widget sets used??

    M.B

    PS: It's deffinately not resources lacking on my pc either :0 My machine is
    a mosnter :)

    --
    *************
    The Imagination may be compared to Adam's dream-

    Player, Aug 25, 2004

  2. Player

    Jeff Shannon Guest

    Player wrote:

    >However with the Idle version in python, the GUI and python it's self loads
    >allot slower, and if I do the same click-hold to reposition the idle GUI
    >window, it chugs and stutters across the screen as I move it, rather slowly
    >and no were near as smoothly and fluidly as the Activestates version of the
    >Idle GUI window.

    I'm just guessing here, but the ActiveState IDE, PythonWin, uses native
    Windows widgets from Python, while IDLE uses Tk widgets inside a TCL
    interpreter which is controlled from Python. This means that IDLE has
    an extra layer or two of indirection. (And, while I'm sure that TCL is
    a great language within its intended problem domain, I don't believe
    that execution speed has been any sort of priority in its development...)

    Jeff Shannon
    Technician/Programmer
    Credit International

    Jeff Shannon, Aug 26, 2004