a little help with importing c library

Tea Figuric

Hello,

I am very new to Ruby, but I am giving it a try. If I am able to load
the dll and call its functions, I will go into more detail. The .dll is
created in VS2005 on XP os

First of all, I used the search function of the forum, but I didn't find
what I was looking for.
After initial problems, my ruby script recognizes the library (if I
remove the file, it complains).

It's a C wrapper library for a C++ library that has just a few functions
for now.

I am stuck at the beginning :)
My library is called qfinterface.dll and I would like to call the
function CreateSession(const char *) that returns an int, and pass it a
string.

I mostly get the error "uninitialized constant" when trying to call the
function, and I've tried so many different things, that I am losing
track of what I tried and what not. right now I get "undefined local
variable or method"

this is my script sofar(in one of its versions):

require 'qfinterface'

puts "hello"

Qf = qfinterface.CreateSession("hd")

def main()

puts "hello"

#QfInterface.CreateSession("sf")

end

main()

would you please point me into right direction in how to call these
classes.

please let me know if you need further information.

Thanks for your help!

Tea Figuric

I got it!!

in case another lost soul needs it, here is how:

require 'qfinterface'
require 'Win32API'

puts "hello"

CreateSession = Win32API.new("qfinterface","CreateSession",["P"],"I")

def main()

puts "hello"
check = CreateSession.call("mystring")

end

main()

Mat Schaffer

It's a C wrapper library for a C++ library that has just a few
functions
for now.

I am stuck at the beginning :)
My library is called qfinterface.dll and I would like to call the
function CreateSession(const char *) that returns an int, and pass
it a
string.

I mostly get the error "uninitialized constant" when trying to call
the
function, and I've tried so many different things, that I am losing
track of what I tried and what not. right now I get "undefined local
variable or method"

I'm assuming you've read README.ext already?
http://svn.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/branches/RUBY/README.EXT?
view=markup

Have you investigated using the inline library? It might make more
sense if you just need a few functions.
http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/RubyInline/

Using C from Ruby is a bit more complex than just regular ruby
programming, but hopefully those links can get you started.
-Mat

Tea Figuric

Mat said:
On Feb 27, 2007, at 6:24 PM, Tea Figuric wrote:

I'm assuming you've read README.ext already?
http://svn.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/branches/RUBY/README.EXT?
view=markup

Have you investigated using the inline library? It might make more
sense if you just need a few functions.
http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/RubyInline/

Using C from Ruby is a bit more complex than just regular ruby
programming, but hopefully those links can get you started.
-Mat

Thank you for your response Mat, I will look into the links.

The library should be used by different scripting languages and
languages, so it should be as generic as possible.

In the meantime, I ran into a different problem, and I am having
problems finding an answer to it.

Since my C/C++ functions return only int, I have a function to which I
pass a *buffer (as char*), and befferLength (as int), where the buffer
should be populated inside of the function, and I have access to the
value from the outside. something like int (or void) GetValue(char
*buffer, int bufferLength);

How do I pass a char* from ruby? is there something to convert from
string to char * without having to change my C lib?

Thanks again for your help!