A little help with optimistic concurrency please?

B. Chernick

I was suddenly told to whip up a web project in ASP.Net 2.0. The last few
weeks have been a crash course in new technology. I've done some 1.1 web
work but it's been a while. The basics are really quite simple and I want to
keep it that way. I'm using virtually nothing but grid views and
detailsviews. The grids are used solely for display. Each row has an edit
hyperlink that goes to a detailsview for actual edits and inserts. The
datasource is an xsd. Create a connection to a SQL Server2000 db and drag
tables onto it. Then, when creating grids and detailviews, use
ObjectDateSources. Minimal code and most of that for navigation. So far, so
good.

I believe it would be negligent of me not to implement optimistic
concurrency. Unfortunately I don't know what I'm doing and time is short.
Also I'm getting the impression that Visual Studio default code is not enough.

What, in your opinion, is the simplest and safest way to do this? Anything
to avoid deadends.

I do know there are some problems with the sql generation wizards in the xsd
and so far I've been able to work around them. Optimistic concurrency seems
to present another set of problems. I'm still running through demos and
tutorials but I'd appreciate it if anyone has a favorite method they'd like
to share.

(Also would using timestamp fields simplify matters?)

Thanks.