foo = home/"projects/foobar"
Already in pathname2. :)

- Dan

Phrogz

Hal said:
class Pathname
alias / +
end

I like this, both because it's element, AND because I'm not sure I've
ever seen alias before. #alias_method, yes, but not that. I was about
to reply "I think you mean 'alias_method :/, :+'", and was surprised to
find that what you wrote worked as advertised.

So...'alias' isn't a method? It's a reserved keyword that's part of the
syntax? And it's "parameters" can be raw method or operator names
instead of strings or symbols? (I'm looking at the section on
"Aliasing" in Pickaxe II, but it's still not telling me /what/ 'alias'
is. Or how it differs from #alias_method.)

Devin Mullins

Phrogz said:
So...'alias' isn't a method? It's a reserved keyword that's part of the
syntax? And it's "parameters" can be raw method or operator names
instead of strings or symbols? (I'm looking at the section on
"Aliasing" in Pickaxe II, but it's still not telling me /what/ 'alias'
is. Or how it differs from #alias_method.)
I'm guessing you aren't aware of the "undef" keyword, either.

HTH,
Devin

William Crawford

Hal said:
Here's a little something I like. YMMV.

Hal

require 'pathname'

class Pathname
alias / +
end

home = Pathname.new("/home/hal")
proj = home/"projects"
foo = home/"projects/foobar"

That's pretty freaking nifty. Thanks Hal.

Rick DeNatale

Here's a little something I like. YMMV.

Hal

require 'pathname'

class Pathname
alias / +
end

home = Pathname.new("/home/hal")
proj = home/"projects"
foo = home/"projects/foobar"

Those poor Windows guys. <G>

irb(main):017:0> class Pathname
irb(main):018:1> alias \ +
irb(main):019:1* end
SyntaxError: compile error
(irb):18: parse error, unexpected $undefined.
alias \ +
^
from (irb):19
from :0
irb(main):020:0>

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Rick said:
Those poor Windows guys. <G>

irb(main):017:0> class Pathname
irb(main):018:1> alias \ +
irb(main):019:1* end
SyntaxError: compile error
(irb):18: parse error, unexpected $undefined.
alias \ +
^
from (irb):19
from :0
irb(main):020:0>

There's a workaround, right? Some combination of other quotes and double
backslashes? The R people get around it by using forward slashes
internally and only converting to backslashes when going out to a
Windows call that needs them. Even so, there was one thing I never did
figure out how to do in R, and ended up starting R up in the right
directory at the beginning of the session. :)

Rick DeNatale

There's a workaround, right? Some combination of other quotes and double
backslashes? The R people get around it by using forward slashes
internally and only converting to backslashes when going out to a
Windows call that needs them. Even so, there was one thing I never did
figure out how to do in R, and ended up starting R up in the right
directory at the beginning of the session. :)

No easily, even if you can figure out how to define a method named \
or "\\" it's going to be messy sending it.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/

IPMS/USA Region 12 Coordinator
http://ipmsr12.denhaven2.com/

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/

Hal Fulton

Rick said:
No easily, even if you can figure out how to define a method named \
or "\\" it's going to be messy sending it.

If we're seriously talking about a Windows usage, let me point out
that it's only on the command line that \ is needed.

Internally, WIndows paths can use ordinary slashes (in every case
I'm familiar with).

Hal

Austin Ziegler

If we're seriously talking about a Windows usage, let me point out
that it's only on the command line that \ is needed.
Mostly.

Internally, WIndows paths can use ordinary slashes (in every case I'm
familiar with).

Mostly.

The reality of the matter is that with the APIs that Ruby is currently
using -- which are problematic for certain cases (Unicode) -- the \ and
/ are interchangeable internally.

The advanced APIs -- the Unicode ones and the ones that make it possible
to have very long path names -- requires \.

-austin