a little more help please , thanks

BORG

how would I get the pages here to open in a new window target="_blank"
style in my .js file

writeButton("","http://htmlgear.tripod.com/guest/control.guest?u=bikerborg∓mp;i=1001∓mp;a=view","celtic_b7",140,33,"GUEST
BOOK","",0);
writeButton("","http://pub35.bravenet.com/classified/show.php?usernum=2927564357&cpv=1","celtic_b8",140,33,"FREE
ADs","",0);

thanks

--
E-Mail Addy obet(ng)qfy(qbg)cvcrk(qbg)pbz <---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header

Numberwhun

no help whats so ever mate, why post it ?

He was trying to make a point. Most users don't want another window just
"opened" for them, they would rather have it in the same window. If users
want to open a new window then they can right click and choose to do so
themselves. Leave the choice to the user instead of taking that liberty
away.

#jlk

BORG

He was trying to make a point. Most users don't want another window just
"opened" for them, they would rather have it in the same window. If users
want to open a new window then they can right click and choose to do so
themselves. Leave the choice to the user instead of taking that liberty
away.

#jlk

well I do, I don't want to have the bravenet page opening in the main
window

--
E-Mail Addy obet(ng)qfy(qbg)cvcrk(qbg)pbz <---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header
http://www.goodtraders.com/viewfeedback.php?nick=Borg
DONATIONS TO (e-mail address removed)
Trike Power the TRUE Trinity

Mark Parnell

BORG said:
well I do, I don't want to have the bravenet page opening in the main
window

Then right click (or shift+click or ctrl+click, depending on your browser)
and open it in a new window.

What if the user *does* want it to open in the main window?

Numberwhun

Then right click (or shift+click or ctrl+click, depending on your browser)
and open it in a new window.

What if the user *does* want it to open in the main window?

Think of it like this.... If you had your own store, and a customer came
in, would you tell him/her what they were going to buy, like it or not? I
didn't think so. The same should go for your page. If the user wants it
in a new window, let them put it there.

#jlk

Numberwhun

I don't own a shop, but if I owned a shoe shop and someone walked in
asking for tinned fish would I start to stock it ? NO i wouldn't so
yes I would tell them what they can or can't buy

Its MY page and I want it to open in a new window

as it is I've sorted it now and they open where I want them to

Well, so be it then. Since it is YOUR page, I hope you enjoy being
the ONLY visitor. That is essentially what you just said. Of course,
what tinned fish and shoes have to do with each other is beyond me.
Personnaly, if I went into a shoe shop, the last thing I would ask for
is food. I would want SHOES and it would again be MY choice, as the
VISITOR to choose the shoes that I want. :)

#jlk

BORG

Well, so be it then. Since it is YOUR page, I hope you enjoy being
the ONLY visitor. That is essentially what you just said. Of course,
what tinned fish and shoes have to do with each other is beyond me.
Personnaly, if I went into a shoe shop, the last thing I would ask for
is food. I would want SHOES and it would again be MY choice, as the
VISITOR to choose the shoes that I want. :)

#jlk

I asked how to do something, all I got was your opinion on what I
should do, now you may be good at web sites, i don't know, but you
never answered my questions so in affect YOUR telling me what I should
buy or not. I wanted to know how to do something not if you liked it.

--
E-Mail Addy obet(ng)qfy(qbg)cvcrk(qbg)pbz <---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header
http://www.goodtraders.com/viewfeedback.php?nick=Borg
DONATIONS TO (e-mail address removed)
Trike Power the TRUE Trinity

Harry Davis

This is a classic case of programmer arrogance. A programmer should always
find out what the user wants or needs and how he wants to see it. Above
all, you don't tell the user what he needs. Even MS and Intuit eventually
listen to users. It's taken years. Try it now and you'll be way ahead of
them.

BORG

A programmer should always
find out what the user wants or needs and how he wants to see it

and how do you know I haven't asked these question, you don't even
know what its for or what pages I want to pop into new windows, you
all seem to think that its not been thought out. maybe your right
maybe it is arrogance by assuming the answers first before helping
someone out

--
E-Mail Addy obet(ng)qfy(qbg)cvcrk(qbg)pbz <---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header
http://www.goodtraders.com/viewfeedback.php?nick=Borg
http://www.borg.dsl.pipex.com/
Trike Power the TRUE Trinity

Headless

BORG said:
maybe it is arrogance by assuming the answers first before helping
someone out

This is not a help desk, it's a discussion group. Ask for help on
implementing something that we consider to be unwise and we will tell
you just that. If you're lucky we will also tell you why it's not smart
to do what you want.

Headless

BORG

This is not a help desk, it's a discussion group. Ask for help on
implementing something that we consider to be unwise and we will tell
you just that. If you're lucky we will also tell you why it's not smart
to do what you want.

Headless

thats true and I do see what people are saying but in this instance
its not what is needed and just having people repeat their views is
not a discussion seeing as there was no pro argument only anti

--
E-Mail Addy obet(ng)qfy(qbg)cvcrk(qbg)pbz <---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header
http://www.goodtraders.com/viewfeedback.php?nick=Borg
http://www.borg.dsl.pipex.com/
Trike Power the TRUE Trinity

BORG

You didn't state what you had or had not done but your attitude came
through. If you did interview or poll your user community to find out what
they preferred, then good for you. If you had included some of that info,
you probably wouldn't have become a target for hate mail.

true the original post maybe wasn't as good as it should have been i
apologise for that