a little problem with <a name> attribute.

picayunish

Good day,

I'm working on a page with <a name> attribute in the content.
What I know is when you click on a link with a hyper as #blah. You go to
the blah chapter on the same page.

When I viewed the page with Netscape 7.1 the word or headline with the <a
name> have a hover effect, when you move the mouse over the word or
headline. To disable the hover effect of the <a name> attribute I use
#blah:link and #blah:hover in the style sheet.

The hover effect with the <a name> attribute are only with Netscape 7.1 and
Firebird.
You can see the hover effect of the <a name> attribute in headline at
http://members.chello.nl/e.vandervaart/note.html#fake

Is there a better work around for this little problem?
--
Edwin van der Vaart (Geen familie van....)
http://www.semi-conductors.nl/ PHP Redirect to semi-conductor.nl

Chris Morris

picayunish said:
When I viewed the page with Netscape 7.1 the word or headline with the <a
name> have a hover effect, when you move the mouse over the word or
headline. To disable the hover effect of the <a name> attribute I use
#blah:link and #blah:hover in the style sheet.

a[name]:link,
a[name]:hover
will save you some typing (but not work in IE, though that doesn't
seem to be a problem here)
The hover effect with the <a name> attribute are only with Netscape 7.1 and
Firebird.
You can see the hover effect of the <a name> attribute in headline at
http://members.chello.nl/e.vandervaart/note.html#fake

Is there a better work around for this little problem?

Rather than using
use
<element id="blah">Content</element>
Doesn't work in Netscape 4, but it works in more recent browsers fine.

picayunish

Kae Verens

picayunish said:
Good day,

I'm working on a page with <a name> attribute in the content.
What I know is when you click on a link with a hyper as #blah. You go to
the blah chapter on the same page.

When I viewed the page with Netscape 7.1 the word or headline with the <a
name> have a hover effect, when you move the mouse over the word or
headline. To disable the hover effect of the <a name> attribute I use
#blah:link and #blah:hover in the style sheet.

The hover effect with the <a name> attribute are only with Netscape 7.1 and
Firebird.
You can see the hover effect of the <a name> attribute in headline at
http://members.chello.nl/e.vandervaart/note.html#fake

Is there a better work around for this little problem?

didn't see the problem with Mozilla 1.5b

Kae

picayunish

Kae Verens wrote in news:[email protected]:
didn't see the problem with Mozilla 1.5b

That's strange.

Wow! Now it's working also in NN4.79 :)
Thanx Kae.
--
Edwin van der Vaart (Geen familie van....)
http://www.semi-conductors.nl/ PHP Redirect to semi-conductor.nl
http://members.chello.nl/e.vandervaart/ Experimental site
http://host.deluxnetwork.com/~evdvaart/ Experimental PHP site

Toby A Inkster

picayunish said:
I'm working on a page with <a name> attribute in the content.
What I know is when you click on a link with a hyper as #blah. You go to
the blah chapter on the same page.

When I viewed the page with Netscape 7.1 the word or headline with the <a
name> have a hover effect, when you move the mouse over the word or
headline. To disable the hover effect of the <a name> attribute I use
#blah:link and #blah:hover in the style sheet.

The Netscape effect is correct. Opera 7 should do the same.

You may like to add a rule to your style sheet:

a[name]:hover {
color: inherit !important;
background-color: inherit !important;
}

Alternatively, use the more modern (since 1995?) way of specifying anchor
targets within a document. Instead of:

<h2><a name="blah">Blah</a></h2>

use

<h2 id="blah">Blah</h2>

picayunish

Toby A Inkster wrote in news:p[email protected]:
picayunish said:
I'm working on a page with <a name> attribute in the content.
What I know is when you click on a link with a hyper as #blah. You go to
the blah chapter on the same page.

When I viewed the page with Netscape 7.1 the word or headline with the
<a name> have a hover effect, when you move the mouse over the word or
headline. To disable the hover effect of the <a name> attribute I use
#blah:link and #blah:hover in the style sheet.

The Netscape effect is correct. Opera 7 should do the same.

You may like to add a rule to your style sheet:

a[name]:hover {
color: inherit !important;
background-color: inherit !important;
}

You mean e.g. color: #000; background: transparent;
Alternatively, use the more modern (since 1995?) way of specifying anchor
targets within a document. Instead of:

<h2><a name="blah">Blah</a></h2>

use

<h2 id="blah">Blah</h2>

If I use
<h2><a name="blah"></a>Blah</h2>
The jump to the chapter Blah works with older browser version (e.g.
NN4.79).

When I use
<h2 name="blah">Blah</h2>
Doesn't work in older browser versions.

What is wise. To include the older browser with the jump to the right
chapter on the page or to exclude the older browser versions?