    I'd say this is one case where tables for presentation works out fairly
    well.

    <flame war>

    Richard, Dec 31, 2004

  2. Richard

    Fernie Guest

    I've only recently taken a step beyond the most basic html fundementals but
    tables have provided me with a nice way to present data and images in a
    liquid fashion. Currently, I am working on a shopping cart and I use tables
    for the liquid display effect. I'll post my cart for critique in about a
    week.

    I really don't have the time nor the capacity to learn something new at the
    moment, but what alternatives would 'table haters' use to get a liquid
    effect?

    Best regards,

    Fernie

    --

    ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com

    Fernie, Dec 31, 2004

  3. Richard

    saz Guest

    In article <4E058D5F12BAE240Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net>,
    Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net says...
    > I've only recently taken a step beyond the most basic html fundementals but
    > tables have provided me with a nice way to present data and images in a
    > liquid fashion. Currently, I am working on a shopping cart and I use tables
    > for the liquid display effect. I'll post my cart for critique in about a
    > week.
    >
    > I really don't have the time nor the capacity to learn something new at the
    > moment, but what alternatives would 'table haters' use to get a liquid
    > effect?
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Fernie
    >

    > --
    >
    > ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com

    Proper use of CSS would give better results.

    saz, Dec 31, 2004
  4. Richard

    saz Guest

    In article <>, Anonymous@127.001 says...
    > www.pcnorl.com
    >
    > The desiginers of this page actually put the use of tables in a carefully
    > laid out way that actually has some liquidity to it.
    >
    > For the information presented, the scripting is kept to minimal.
    > And even uses one interesting applet.
    >
    > Several instances of nested tables.
    > I'd say this is one case where tables for presentation works out fairly
    > well.
    >
    > <flame war>

    Not in my browsers. The left column is way off in alignment. I think
    CSS would have been better.

    This is a common applet. I've seen it several times before on news
    sites.

    saz, Dec 31, 2004
  5. Richard

    Fernie Guest

    > Proper use of CSS would give better results.

    In my case, I now have a fairly decent handle on html. I am dynamically
    writing (via cgi) html content and input forms that seem to be working just
    fine.

    Can you tell me how difficult it would be for an average person at my html
    level to get a working knowledge of CSS? Do editors like Dreamweaver or
    Websphere produce decent CSS code?

    Regards,

    Fernie

    --

    ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com

    Fernie, Dec 31, 2004
  6. Richard

    Henry Guest

    saz wrote:
    > In article <>, Anonymous@127.001 says...

    >>I'd say this is one case where tables for presentation works out fairly
    >>well.
    >>
    >><flame war>

    > Not in my browsers. The left column is way off in alignment. I think
    > CSS would have been better.
    >
    > This is a common applet. I've seen it several times before on news
    > sites.

    Get newest browsers.

    If your browsers do not display this page properly (IE6, FF1.0, latest
    Opera) than I would not like to see your pages.

    ;)

    Going back to tables.

    This is BAD! Looks horrible, but... works.

    My very first web page made in FF was better, coding included.

    ;)

    BTW. Looks like done in css anyway.

    Hahahahahaha...

    Henry, Jan 1, 2005
  7. Richard

    rf Guest

    "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote
    > xxxxxxxxxxx.com
    >
    > The desiginers of this page actually put the use of tables in a carefully
    > laid out way

    Bullshit. They used dreamweaver.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 1, 2005
  8. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Fernie wrote:

    >> Proper use of CSS would give better results.

    > In my case, I now have a fairly decent handle on html. I am dynamically
    > writing (via cgi) html content and input forms that seem to be working
    > just fine.

    > Can you tell me how difficult it would be for an average person at my html
    > level to get a working knowledge of CSS? Do editors like Dreamweaver or
    > Websphere produce decent CSS code?

    > Regards,

    > Fernie

    What is the difference between notepad and dreamweaver?
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

    Any decent editor that will understand basic html and is fairly recent, will
    understand css.
    Dreamweaver is bloatware and over rated.

    Richard, Jan 1, 2005
  9. rf wrote:
    > "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote
    >>The desiginers of this page actually put the use of tables in a carefully
    >>laid out way

    > Bullshit. They used dreamweaver.

    You can't do that with Dreamweaver?

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jan 1, 2005
  10. Richard

    Jeff Thies Guest

    > Can you tell me how difficult it would be for an average person at my html
    > level to get a working knowledge of CSS? Do editors like Dreamweaver or
    > Websphere produce decent CSS code?

    Don't know, but I can say that the Dreamweaver CSS I've seen was pretty
    ugly. I like to see a minimum of classnames not a maximum.

    I think this is more an art and experience teaches you what is
    maintainable and what is not

    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Jan 1, 2005
  11. Richard

    Fernie Guest

    > What is the difference between notepad and dreamweaver?
    > $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

    Grief?

    > Any decent editor that will understand basic html and is fairly recent,
    > will
    > understand css.
    > Dreamweaver is bloatware and over rated.

    I use Websphere Homepage Builder because it is cheap and easy to use. It
    has a free layout mode that I don't use, but it basically allows you to
    position text items and controls anywhere on the page, almost like a drawing
    tool. You can even overlap text and/or images. I don't know if that is CSS
    or what that's called. The source code looks like too much work to code by
    hand. For example:

    <BODY>

    <DIV style="width : 61px;height : 23px;top : 46px;left : 43px;

    position : absolute;

    z-index : 1;

    " id="Layer1">Line 1</DIV>

    </BODY>

    Is that CSS?

    Best regards,

    Fernie

    --

    ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com

    Fernie, Jan 1, 2005
  12. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Fernie wrote:

    > "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
    >>
    >> What is the difference between notepad and dreamweaver?
    >> $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

    > Grief?

    >> Any decent editor that will understand basic html and is fairly recent,
    >> will
    >> understand css.
    >> Dreamweaver is bloatware and over rated.

    > I use Websphere Homepage Builder because it is cheap and easy to use. It
    > has a free layout mode that I don't use, but it basically allows you to
    > position text items and controls anywhere on the page, almost like a
    > drawing tool. You can even overlap text and/or images. I don't know if
    > that is CSS or what that's called. The source code looks like too much
    > work to code by hand. For example:

    > <BODY>

    > <DIV style="width : 61px;height : 23px;top : 46px;left : 43px;

    > position : absolute;

    > z-index : 1;

    > " id="Layer1">Line 1</DIV>

    > </BODY>

    > Is that CSS?

    > Best regards,

    > Fernie

    Yep. You should see a line at the start of the coding that shows as <script
    language ="text/css">
    That just signals the browser to use this information and not display it.
    <script language="text/javascript">
    Would designate "javascript" sections, which could be anywhere.

    Richard, Jan 1, 2005
  13. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:

    > rf wrote:
    >> "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote
    >>>The desiginers of this page actually put the use of tables in a carefully
    >>>laid out way

    >> Bullshit. They used dreamweaver.

    > You can't do that with Dreamweaver?

    Nothing indicates what they used.
    Could have been done in notepad.

    Richard, Jan 1, 2005
  14. In article <>, Richard (Anonymous@127.001)
    dropped a +5 bundle of words...

    > Fernie wrote:
    >

    > > "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> What is the difference between notepad and dreamweaver?
    > >> $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

    > > Grief?

    > >> Any decent editor that will understand basic html and is fairly recent,
    > >> will
    > >> understand css.
    > >> Dreamweaver is bloatware and over rated.

    > > I use Websphere Homepage Builder because it is cheap and easy to use. It
    > > has a free layout mode that I don't use, but it basically allows you to
    > > position text items and controls anywhere on the page, almost like a
    > > drawing tool. You can even overlap text and/or images. I don't know if
    > > that is CSS or what that's called. The source code looks like too much
    > > work to code by hand. For example:

    > > <BODY>

    > > <DIV style="width : 61px;height : 23px;top : 46px;left : 43px;

    > > position : absolute;

    > > z-index : 1;

    > > " id="Layer1">Line 1</DIV>

    > > </BODY>

    > > Is that CSS?

    > > Best regards,

    > > Fernie

    > Yep. You should see a line at the start of the coding that shows as <script
    > language ="text/css">

    Bzzzt. CSS is not a scripting language.

    Why *are* you so fucking st00pid, st00pid?

    AUK added since they wondered where you fucked off too. Why, I have no
    idea. Eat that fucking can of Drano and have a shitty new year. Loser.

    > That just signals the browser to use this information and not display it.
    > <script language="text/javascript">

    <script type="text/javascript">
    </script>

    > Would designate "javascript" sections, which could be anywhere.

    2 sentences out of 6 correct. Good job, dipshit.

    --
    Starshine Moonbeam
    mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30

    Starshine Moonbeam, Jan 1, 2005
  15. Richard

    rf Guest

    "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote
    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    >
    > > rf wrote:
    > >> "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote

    carefully
    > >> Bullshit. They used dreamweaver.

    > > You can't do that with Dreamweaver?

    > Nothing indicates what they used.
    > Could have been done in notepad.

    Have a look at the source stupid.

    See those javascript functions that start with MM_? That means MacroMedia.
    Classic dreamweaver generated bloody rubbish using convoluted javascript to
    achieve mouseovers on <a> elements where a simple a:hover would suffice.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 1, 2005
  16. Richard

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 03:37:55 GMT, Jeff Thies <>
    wrote:

    : Don't know, but I can say that the Dreamweaver CSS I've seen was pretty
    : ugly.

    It's the best tool around if you want to set a style for a column in a large
    table, for instance. What do you find repulsive about the CSS in
    Dreamweaver?

    I love it!

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Jan 1, 2005
  17. Richard

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 05:40:45 GMT, "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote:

    : Classic dreamweaver generated bloody rubbish using convoluted javascript to
    : achieve mouseovers on <a> elements where a simple a:hover would suffice.

    That's not Dreamweaver's fault. The person using it is sloppy.

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Jan 1, 2005
  18. Richard

    .Obsidian. Guest

    "Starshine Moonbeam" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Richard (Anonymous@127.001)
    > dropped a +5 bundle of words...
    >
    > > Fernie wrote:
    > >

    > > > "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message

    Well hello st00pid

    > > > Grief?

    recent,

    > > > I use Websphere Homepage Builder because it is cheap and easy to use.

    It
    > > > has a free layout mode that I don't use, but it basically allows you

    > > > position text items and controls anywhere on the page, almost like a
    > > > drawing tool. You can even overlap text and/or images. I don't know

    if
    > > > that is CSS or what that's called. The source code looks like too

    much
    > > > work to code by hand. For example:

    > > > <BODY>

    > > > <DIV style="width : 61px;height : 23px;top : 46px;left : 43px;

    > > > position : absolute;

    > > > z-index : 1;

    > > > " id="Layer1">Line 1</DIV>

    > > > </BODY>

    > > > Is that CSS?

    > > > Best regards,

    > > > Fernie

    > > Yep. You should see a line at the start of the coding that shows as

    <script
    > > language ="text/css">

    > Bzzzt. CSS is not a scripting language.
    >
    > Why *are* you so fucking st00pid, st00pid?
    >
    > AUK added since they wondered where you fucked off too. Why, I have no
    > idea. Eat that fucking can of Drano and have a shitty new year. Loser.

    Ah so there he is. Thanking you...

    So St00pid do you wanna tell the good folk in alt.html about your lame arsed
    attempt at a javascript trap
    or your plethora of computer expertise as demonstrated in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk

    If memory serves these little gems may be archived some where :p

    /Obsidian

    .Obsidian., Jan 1, 2005
  19. "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote:

    > "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote
    >> xxxxxxxxxxx.com
    >>
    >> The desiginers of this page actually put the use of tables in a
    >> carefully laid out way

    > Bullshit.

    Please don't feed the trolls. And please don't use the word "bullshit"
    to characterize something worse than useless - after all, shit from
    bulls is very useful fertilizer.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jan 1, 2005
  20. Richard

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 14:57:46 +0000 (UTC), "Jukka K. Korpela"
    <> wrote:

    : And please don't use the word "bullshit"
    : to characterize something worse than useless - after all, shit from
    : bulls is very useful fertilizer.

    Nice to see your humour is intact in 2005! :)

    H N Y Jukka, rf, brucie, and all regulars!

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Jan 1, 2005