    Incidentally, I have never used Frontpage. I code manually most of the
    time using notepad or even WordStar 6, a DOS program I still use every
    day.

    thedarkman, Oct 29, 2011

  2. On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 12:01:13 -0700, thedarkman wrote:

    > A couple of points; when I learned the basics I read that some codes
    > don't need closing, especially <br> and <p>, so I left them out. I
    > noticed that when you close with </br> you get an extra space between
    > lines that I didn't want.

    it's good practice to close paragraphs.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon

    Denis McMahon, Oct 29, 2011

  3. thedarkman wrote:
    > This is my latest effort

    What happended to "the final word on my limerick page" I won that bet.

    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...(detect automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0
    >
    > 899 errors and 2 warnings. Can someone tell me what the warnings mean?
    > And what they might be?

    Because you are unable to 'copy and paste' in addition to 'do HTML'. You
    removed the doctype declaration that Edwin correctly added to your code.

    Question: What is the reason for your aversion to simply closing your
    anchor elements?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 29, 2011
  4. thedarkman

    Doug Miller Guest

    On 10/29/2011 3:01 PM, thedarkman wrote:
    > This is my latest effort
    >
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...(detect automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0
    >
    > 899 errors and 2 warnings. Can someone tell me what the warnings mean?
    > And what they might be?

    Never mind the warnings. Fix the 899 errors first.

    > Some errors appear to be cumulative because when I took out 34 errors
    > the number dropped from around 990 to 899.
    >
    > A couple of points; when I learned the basics I read that some codes
    > don't need closing, especially<br> and<p>, so I left them out.

    > I noticed that when you close with</br> you get an extra space between
    > lines that I didn't want.

    Try using it correctly: <br/>

    > Incidentally, I have never used Frontpage. I code manually most of the
    > time using notepad or even WordStar 6, a DOS program I still use every
    > day.

    Coding manually makes it even more important for you to learn how to
    code *correctly*.

    Doug Miller, Oct 29, 2011
  5. On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 17:45:12 -0400, Doug Miller wrote:

    I beg to differ. Quoting the w3.org online HTML 4.01 spec:

    9.3.1 Paragraphs: the P element

    <!ELEMENT P - O (%inline;)* -- paragraph -->
    <!ATTLIST P
    %attrs; -- %coreattrs, %i18n, %events --

    Start tag: required, End tag: optional

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon

    Denis McMahon, Oct 29, 2011
  6. thedarkman

    Doug Miller Guest

    On 10/29/2011 5:58 PM, Denis McMahon wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 17:45:12 -0400, Doug Miller wrote:

    > I beg to differ. Quoting the w3.org online HTML 4.01 spec:
    >
    > 9.3.1 Paragraphs: the P element
    >
    > <!ELEMENT P - O (%inline;)* -- paragraph -->
    > <!ATTLIST P
    > %attrs; -- %coreattrs, %i18n, %events --
    > >

    > Start tag: required, End tag: optional

    Thanks for the correction, Denis.

    Doug Miller, Oct 29, 2011
  7. On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 18:40:23 -0400, Doug Miller wrote:

    > On 10/29/2011 5:58 PM, Denis McMahon wrote:
    >> On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 17:45:12 -0400, Doug Miller wrote:

    >> I beg to differ. Quoting the w3.org online HTML 4.01 spec:
    >>
    >> 9.3.1 Paragraphs: the P element
    >>
    >> <!ELEMENT P - O (%inline;)* -- paragraph --> <!ATTLIST P
    >> %attrs; -- %coreattrs, %i18n, %events
    >> --
    >> >

    >> Start tag: required, End tag: optional

    > Thanks for the correction, Denis.

    It's still IMO best practice to close <p> elements with </p> though, even
    if it's 'optional' - but then I'm pretty firmly sat in the corner of
    "text must be enclosed in an appropriate block level text element" anyway.

    Basically because when I started writing html in the mid 90's it was the
    way everyone said to do it, and although now you don't have to do it,
    I've never seen any convincing reason not to.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon

    Denis McMahon, Oct 30, 2011
  8. thedarkman

    picayunish Guest

    On 29-10-2011 23:45, Doug Miller wrote:
    > On 10/29/2011 3:01 PM, thedarkman wrote:
    >> This is my latest effort
    >>
    >> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...(detect automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0
    >>

    >> 899 errors and 2 warnings. Can someone tell me what the warnings mean?
    >> And what they might be?

    > Never mind the warnings. Fix the 899 errors first.
    >>
    >> Some errors appear to be cumulative because when I took out 34 errors
    >> the number dropped from around 990 to 899.
    >>
    >> A couple of points; when I learned the basics I read that some codes
    >> don't need closing, especially<br> and<p>, so I left them out.

    perhaps is the closing tag for paragraph not needed for html 4.01 but
    for xml / xhtml is the closing tag needed.

    http://www.webstandards.org/learn/faq/#p2131
    [qoute]
    XHTML 1.0 also uses the model of three DTDs: Strict, Transitional, and
    Frameset. This model originally emerged in HTML 4.0 and followed through
    to HTML 4.01.

    Some important technical practices from XML onto XHTML includes:

    That all document types are declared via the correct DOCTYPE
    declaration
    That the structure of a conforming document contain the DOCTYPE
    declaration, an html element with the XHTML namespace declared, a head
    element including the title element, and a body element
    That all elements and attribute names are written in lower case,
    and that all attribute values are quoted
    That all non-empty elements (e.g. p, li) are properly terminated
    with a closing tag
    That all empty elements (e.g. br, hr, img) are properly terminated
    with a trailing slash (<br />)
    That documents validate against the DTD that is declared
    [/qoute]

    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    picayunish, Oct 30, 2011