A Name

thedarkman

This is my latest effort

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

899 errors and 2 warnings. Can someone tell me what the warnings mean?
And what they might be?

Some errors appear to be cumulative because when I took out 34 errors
the number dropped from around 990 to 899.

A couple of points; when I learned the basics I read that some codes
don't need closing, especially <br> and <p>, so I left them out. I
noticed that when you close with </br> you get an extra space between
lines that I didn't want.

Incidentally, I have never used Frontpage. I code manually most of the
time using notepad or even WordStar 6, a DOS program I still use every
day.

Denis McMahon

A couple of points; when I learned the basics I read that some codes
don't need closing, especially <br> and <p>, so I left them out. I
noticed that when you close with </br> you get an extra space between
lines that I didn't want.

it's good practice to close paragraphs.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Jonathan N. Little

thedarkman said:
This is my latest effort

What happended to "the final word on my limerick page" I won that bet.
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

899 errors and 2 warnings. Can someone tell me what the warnings mean?
And what they might be?

Because you are unable to 'copy and paste' in addition to 'do HTML'. You
removed the doctype declaration that Edwin correctly added to your code.

Question: What is the reason for your aversion to simply closing your
anchor elements?

Doug Miller

This is my latest effort

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

899 errors and 2 warnings. Can someone tell me what the warnings mean?
And what they might be?

Never mind the warnings. Fix the 899 errors first.

Try using it correctly: said:
Incidentally, I have never used Frontpage. I code manually most of the
time using notepad or even WordStar 6, a DOS program I still use every
day.

Coding manually makes it even more important for you to learn how to
code *correctly*.

Denis McMahon

I beg to differ. Quoting the w3.org online HTML 4.01 spec:

9.3.1 Paragraphs: the P element

<!ELEMENT P - O (%inline;)* -- paragraph -->
<!ATTLIST P
%attrs; -- %coreattrs, %i18n, %events --
Start tag: required, End tag: optional

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Doug Miller

I beg to differ. Quoting the w3.org online HTML 4.01 spec:

9.3.1 Paragraphs: the P element

<!ELEMENT P - O (%inline;)* -- paragraph -->
<!ATTLIST P
%attrs; -- %coreattrs, %i18n, %events --

Start tag: required, End tag: optional

Thanks for the correction, Denis.

Denis McMahon

Thanks for the correction, Denis.

It's still IMO best practice to close <p> elements with </p> though, even
if it's 'optional' - but then I'm pretty firmly sat in the corner of
"text must be enclosed in an appropriate block level text element" anyway.

Basically because when I started writing html in the mid 90's it was the
way everyone said to do it, and although now you don't have to do it,
I've never seen any convincing reason not to.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

picayunish

Never mind the warnings. Fix the 899 errors first.

perhaps is the closing tag for paragraph not needed for html 4.01 but
for xml / xhtml is the closing tag needed.

http://www.webstandards.org/learn/faq/#p2131
[qoute]
XHTML 1.0 also uses the model of three DTDs: Strict, Transitional, and
Frameset. This model originally emerged in HTML 4.0 and followed through
to HTML 4.01.

Some important technical practices from XML onto XHTML includes:

That all document types are declared via the correct DOCTYPE
declaration
That the structure of a conforming document contain the DOCTYPE
declaration, an html element with the XHTML namespace declared, a head
element including the title element, and a body element
That all elements and attribute names are written in lower case,
and that all attribute values are quoted
That all non-empty elements (e.g. p, li) are properly terminated
with a closing tag
That all empty elements (e.g. br, hr, img) are properly terminated
with a trailing slash (<br />)
That documents validate against the DTD that is declared
[/qoute]