A new approach to FPGA and PCB System Development Platform, SantaClara, CA, USA (By Altium)

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Vikram, Dec 3, 2009.

  1. Vikram

    Vikram Guest

    Announcing a Seminar on A New Approach - An FPGA and PCB System
    Development Platform, Santa Clara, CA, USA (By Altium) - Dec'10

    To register just RSVP http://events.linkedin.com/New-Approach-FPGA-PCB-System-Development/pub/179766

    Agenda

    8:00 am Registration / Breakfast
    8:30 am Welcome
    8:45 am Component & Design Data Management
    9:45 am FPGA Design & Instant Prototyping
    10:45 am Break
    11:00 am ECAD/MCAD with 3D PCB Layout
    11:45 am Customer Success with Altium Designer
    Noon NanoBoard 3000 Give Away

    Session Descriptions

    #1 Component and Design Management
    Learn how to easily leverage and incorporate supplier component data
    into your library. See how to easily version control your designs and
    manage ECO’s. Customize your BOM’s and generate release documentation
    with the push of a button.

    #2 FPGA Design & Instant Prototyping
    Learn how to design complex FPGA's with an embedded processor utlizing
    block based IP and quickly debug your design in a NanoBoard with
    virtual instrumentation.

    #3 ECAD/MCAD with 3D PCB Layout
    Learn how a 3D PCB layout environment can utilize STEP models to
    create a 3D view of the board that can be merged with mechanical
    design. Easily verify electrical/ mechanical fit clearances.

    For Questions/ Queries Contact:

    DACER Solutions, Inc.
    Your Silicon Valley Altium Rep
    408-712-0500 or 408-202-3416

    To register just RSVP http://events.linkedin.com/New-Approach-FPGA-PCB-System-Development/pub/179766
    or
    visit http://www.fpgacentral.com/fpga-eve...devel/hyatt-regency-santa-clara-hotel-5101-gr

    Vikram, Dec 3, 2009

  2. Vikram

    Andy Peters Guest

    On Dec 3, 3:01 pm, Vikram <> wrote:
    > Announcing a Seminar on A New Approach - An FPGA and PCB System
    > Development Platform, Santa Clara, CA, USA (By Altium) - Dec'10
    >
    > #2 FPGA Design & Instant Prototyping
    > Learn how to design complex FPGA's with an embedded processor utlizing
    > block based IP and quickly debug your design in a NanoBoard with
    > virtual instrumentation.

    FPGA design using a PCB layout tool is a recipe for disaster.

    -a

    Andy Peters, Dec 4, 2009

  3. Vikram

    Antti Guest

    On Dec 4, 2:09 am, Andy Peters <> wrote:
    > On Dec 3, 3:01 pm, Vikram <> wrote:
    >
    > > Announcing a Seminar on A New Approach - An FPGA and PCB System
    > > Development Platform, Santa Clara, CA, USA (By Altium) - Dec'10

    > > #2 FPGA Design & Instant Prototyping
    > > Learn how to design complex FPGA's with an embedded processor utlizing
    > > block based IP and quickly debug your design in a NanoBoard with
    > > virtual instrumentation.

    > FPGA design using a PCB layout tool is a recipe for disaster.
    >
    > -a

    Altium Designer is NOT a PCB layotool.

    Antti

    Antti, Dec 4, 2009
  4. Vikram

    Nial Stewart Guest

    Re: A new approach to FPGA and PCB System Development Platform, Santa Clara, CA, USA (By Altium)

    > FPGA design using a PCB layout tool is a recipe for disaster.

    Indeed, I think they're wasting their time down this path.

    What is good is the ability to pin/netlist swap when routing and pass
    that back to the FPGA constraints. They should concentrate on this and making it
    as flexible as possible but forget the FPGA development side of things.

    Nial.

    Nial Stewart, Dec 4, 2009
  5. Vikram

    Andy Peters Guest

    On Dec 3, 10:36 pm, Antti <> wrote:
    > On Dec 4, 2:09 am, Andy Peters <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Dec 3, 3:01 pm, Vikram <> wrote:

    > > > Announcing a Seminar on A New Approach - An FPGA and PCB System
    > > > Development Platform, Santa Clara, CA, USA (By Altium) - Dec'10

    > > > #2 FPGA Design & Instant Prototyping
    > > > Learn how to design complex FPGA's with an embedded processor utlizing
    > > > block based IP and quickly debug your design in a NanoBoard with
    > > > virtual instrumentation.

    > > FPGA design using a PCB layout tool is a recipe for disaster.

    > > -a

    > Altium Designer is NOT a PCB layotool.

    Oh, then how is it possible that I'm doing a board-level schematic in
    it right now, which will then be handed off to my layout guy so he can
    do that task, also in AD?

    -a

    Andy Peters, Dec 8, 2009
  6. Vikram

    Nico Coesel Guest

    Andy Peters <> wrote:

    >On Dec 3, 10:36=A0pm, Antti <> wrote:

    >> > FPGA design using a PCB layout tool is a recipe for disaster.

    >> > -a

    >> Altium Designer is NOT a PCB layotool.

    >Oh, then how is it possible that I'm doing a board-level schematic in
    >it right now, which will then be handed off to my layout guy so he can
    >do that task, also in AD?

    Antti should have typed: Altium Designer is NOT *JUST* a PCB layotool.

    "If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer!"

    Nico Coesel, Dec 9, 2009
  7. Vikram

    rickman Guest

    On Dec 4, 6:39 am, "Nial Stewart"
    <nial*> wrote:
    > > FPGA design using a PCB layout tool is a recipe for disaster.

    > Indeed, I think they're wasting their time down this path.
    >
    > What is good is the ability to pin/netlist swap when routing and pass
    > that back to the FPGA constraints. They should concentrate on this and making it
    > as flexible as possible but forget the FPGA development side of things.
    >
    > Nial.

    Is the tool FPGA pin type aware? I have found some layout people
    don't like to swap pins on FPGAs because it can be very complex due to
    the many constraints on pin capability. If the tool is aware of these
    limitations, it could help with intelligent swapping.

    Rick

    rickman, Dec 10, 2009