a new Perl/Python a day

Xah Lee

i'm starting a yahoo group for learning python. Each day, a tip of
python will be shown, with the perl equivalent. For those of you
perlers who always wanted to learn python, this is suitable. (i started
it because i always wanted to switch to python but too lazy and always
falling back to a lang i am an expert at, but frustrated constantly by
its inanities and incompetences.)

to subscribe, go to:

i'll cross post to comp.lang.perl.misc and comp.lang.python.
If you spot mistakes, feel free to correct or discourse here.

if you are a perl expert and wanted to learn python, i believe after a
month of this list we'll be python experts. This serves us as a means
to cross the Rubicon.
Xah
(e-mail address removed)
http://xahlee.org/PageTwo_dir/more.html

Matt Garrish

Xah Lee said:
i'm starting a yahoo group for learning python. Each day, a tip of
python will be shown, with the perl equivalent. For those of you
perlers who always wanted to learn python, this is suitable. (i started
it because i always wanted to switch to python but too lazy and always
falling back to a lang i am an expert at, but frustrated constantly by
its inanities and incompetences.)

What language are you an expert at? It certainly isn't Perl.

Matt

James Stroud

I don't see what this has to do with Perl.

What language are you an expert at? It certainly isn't Perl.

Very dry humor indeed!

<python>
bob = [1,2,3,4]
carol = [bob,bob]
# not inane dereferencing
print carol[1][3]
</python>

<perl>
$bob = [1,2,3,4] ;
$carol = [ $bob, $bob ] ;
# inane dereferencing
print "$carol->[1][3]\n" ;
</perl>

--
James Stroud, Ph.D.
611 Charles E. Young Dr. S.

Charlton Wilbur

XL> i'll cross post to comp.lang.perl.misc and comp.lang.python.
XL> If you spot mistakes, feel free to correct or discourse here.

Error #1: crossposting to those two groups.

(Error #2 is implying that you're a Perl expert, but someone else
already pointed that out.)

Charlton

Scott Bryce

Bob said:
You're joking, right?

No. Perl may have some interesting idiosyncrasies, especially for a
programmer with little or no Unix experience, but I find it neither
frustrating, inane nor incompetent. The more I use it, the more I like it.

Andy Gross

No. Perl may have some interesting idiosyncrasies, especially for a
programmer with little or no Unix experience, but I find it neither
frustrating, inane nor incompetent. The more I use it, the more I like
it.

I don't see what UNIX experience has to do with it. I have plenty of
it, and still have to look at the documentation to remember that I need
to type '$|' to turn buffering off. Ditto for the rest of the perl
line-noise syntax.

/arg

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois?= Pinard

[Andy Gross]
On Jan 10, 2005, at 12:11 AM, Scott Bryce wrote:
I [...] still have to look at the documentation to remember that I
need to type '$|' to turn buffering off. Ditto for the rest of the
perl line-noise syntax.

Behind each language, there is a culture. The Perl man pages give many
mnemonic tricks to remember special variable names like the above, and
if you are willing to play the game the way it was written, you might
even have some fun at it, and easily be proficient at this "line-noise".

I did a lot of Perl for many years, and still appreciate what Perl is
(or at least was). Python does not change Perl in my eyes. However,
Python is significantly more legible and maintainable, the comparison
merely stresses the unreadability of Perl. No doubt that I prefer
Python, but Python not being there, Perl would be quite useful to me.

gabriele renzi

Bob Smith ha scritto:
You're joking, right?

please consider that the message you all are asking are crossposted to
comp.lang.perl.misc and comp.lang.python, avoid the crossgroup flames :)

Stephen Thorne

please consider that the message you all are asking are crossposted to
comp.lang.perl.misc and comp.lang.python, avoid the crossgroup flames :)

Yuck.

I'm on the (e-mail address removed) and I was extremely confused until
you pointed out the crossposting.

Maybe that mail2news gateway should be upgraded to point out
crossposted usenet posts...

Stephen.

Peter Maas

Charlton said:
XL> i'll cross post to comp.lang.perl.misc and comp.lang.python.
XL> If you spot mistakes, feel free to correct or discourse here.

Error #1: crossposting to those two groups.

(Error #2 is implying that you're a Perl expert, but someone else
already pointed that out.)

Xah Lee is the guy who used to fight Unixism some time ago thereby
producing an extremly long and useless thread in this group. Now
he's fighting Perl :) Please stop answering him if you don't want
to waste your time.

Bob Smith

Peter said:
Xah Lee is the guy who used to fight Unixism some time ago thereby
producing an extremly long and useless thread in this group. Now
he's fighting Perl :) Please stop answering him if you don't want
to waste your time.

With terms such as "blabbering Unix donkeys" and "sloppy perl monkeys"
Xah's articles are very entertaining. He has some valid points as
well... he just presents them in anti-social ways.

Jon Perez

Bob said:
With terms such as "blabbering Unix donkeys" and "sloppy perl monkeys"

I would say that the monkey-mind is indeed one that is enamoured
with obfuscation and complicated gadgetry for its own sake.

Ever wonder why no one has ever considered using the phrase
"Zen of Perl"? (yes, it sounds completely off-kilter)

.... or why 'Perl monkey' is an oft-heard term whereas 'Python
monkey' just doesn't seem to be appropriate?

Jeff Shannon

Jon said:
... or why 'Perl monkey' is an oft-heard term whereas 'Python
monkey' just doesn't seem to be appropriate?

That's just because pythons are more likely to *eat* a monkey than to
be one.... :)

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International