a new worker process(aspnet_wp.exe) for each web service request ...

CG

I have a VS .NET 2003 web service project which references a Managed
C++ assembly.

The managed C++ assembly in turn uses some unmanaged code.

Because of some restriction in the unmanaged (legacy) code, I can only
have a aspnet_wp.exe
worker process service only one web service request. In other words,
after aspnet_wp.exe (wp1)
serviced User1's web service request, it should not be used to service
another
web service request (from User1 or any other User2).

User1 -> aspnet_wp.exe (wp1)
User2 -> another worker process other than wp1 ...
and so on.

In the machine.config file, it seems the following processModel
Attributes - setting requestLimit=1 and

requestQueueLimit=1 - will do the trick for me. Am I correct?

processModel Attributes:
requestLimit="[Infinite | number]" - Total number of requests
to serve before process is

shutdown
requestQueueLimit="[Infinite | number]" - Number of queued
requests allowed before process is

shutdown

Is it possible to set these attributes in a config file specific to my
web service project? That way I can avoid changing the machine.config
setting which will apply to other projects too.

TIA,
CG

Guest

Hello
You cannot inherit the settings of the processmodel section in your
web.config file.
This section cannot be inherited. So all the settings that you change for
processmodel element will apply to all the web sites that are running on your
server.
Remember to run iisreset after you have made changes to machine.config.

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

That functionality is simply not supported. For efficiency, requests are
serviced by one worker process in IIS 5. You will need to re-design your
business layer so that it can execute correctly in the worker process

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]

[Shameless Author plug]
Now Available @ http://tinyurl.com/27cok

CG

Alvin,

You seem to imply that what I am asking in my original post may be
possible in IIS 6. Can you give more info about the same in relation to
IIS 6 ?

TIA,
CG