A Non ASP Guy Needs Help with a Solution

ratlhead

Hi there,

I'm not an ASP guy and I'm in need of finding out a solution to a
problem that's ASP related.

A site that I'm helping someone migrate to a new box (currently
internal and now going to an ISP), was written pretty poorly. A
script, written in ASP/VB, runs once an hour to check the database for
some data based on that time and then sends out some emails.

The bad part about this, the script uses a meta refresh to recall the
script every hour, meaning, it's not called by some cronjob/atjob and
a browser needs to ALWAYS be open on the box to call the script.

So my question is...without having to go rewrite code that I'm not
familiar with, how can we best approach a solution? It's on an IIS
box.

I'm assuming there's no way I can schedule some sort of job that calls
ASP by command line and runs the script, every hour?

Any input on a solution to this would be so much appreciated. Thanks!

-Mike

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

I'm assuming there's no way I can schedule some sort of job that calls
ASP by command line and runs the script, every hour?

Yes, but you should re-write as VBS (there will be minimal changes). There
is no need to have a browser mixed into the equation.

http://www.aspfaq.com/2143

Ben Roberts

Try www.script-schedule.com