A novice college student needs the help of the true "guru"s!

Rodney Edmondson

Hi all,
I am a college student, taking Java in an online course. Originally,
when I sign up for the class, I thought, I could handle it with a
G.P.A of 3.95. But now everything is falling apart, due to a series of
problems. The tool IDE, which the teacher provided "net beans" does
not work with windows XP, so I can't compile or do any assignments for
class.
I really need a mentor; hoping someone out there can help, by provide
the necessary advice needed. I am pleading with anyone out there, who
was once a student to help me, for I am sure, somebody helped you too,
along the way. I do hope and look forward to hearing from anyone, who
thinks, they can help. So I will thank this individual in advance, by
saying: "thank you for replying".

Andrew Thompson

...The tool IDE, which the teacher provided "net beans" does
not work with windows XP, so I can't compile or do any assignments for
class.

http://java.sun.com/features/1999/10/tools_qa.html
indicates it does, specifically the bit that reads..

<qoute>
Q. On what platforms is NetBeans Developer available?

A. NetBeans Developer runs on any Java 2 technology
compliant platform. That includes Solaris, Linux, and
Microsoft Windows operating environments.
</quote>

I do not use NetBeans, but I run Java 2 under
XP just fine.

You problem may arise from a configuration problem
with your NetBaens or java installation, but it is
difficult to say from the limited information you
provided.

Having said that, I advise you to dump the IDE
and use the command line to compile and run
your projects.

Not only will you learn a lot more, but you will
probably gain enough knowledge to understand
_why_ NetBeans is not working..

HTH

brougham5

Andrew Thompson said:
Having said that, I advise you to dump the IDE
and use the command line to compile and run
your projects.

Not only will you learn a lot more, but you will
probably gain enough knowledge to understand
_why_ NetBeans is not working..

That would be my advice, as well.

If you are paying for the class, I'd suggest getting support from your
school, as well.

David Segall

Hi all,
I am a college student, taking Java in an online course. Originally,
when I sign up for the class, I thought, I could handle it with a
G.P.A of 3.95. But now everything is falling apart, due to a series of
problems. The tool IDE, which the teacher provided "net beans" does
not work with windows XP, so I can't compile or do any assignments for
class.
Let's start here. NetBeans definitely works under XP. I suggest you
download the NetBeans IDE and J2SE cobundle for windows from here
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html. That will ensure that
you have the correct NetBeans and Java setup and should work with a
double click on the icon it adds to your start menu. It's huge so if
you don't have broadband you will need to get someone to download it
for you.

You will receive some follow up posts that will advise you, as a
beginner, not to use NetBeans to develop Java programs. Ignore them.
They may be right in criticising your teacher for introducing NetBeans
so early in your course but you will only cause yourself extra stress
by trying to write programs in a way that conflicts with the way you
are being taught.