A number of packages are being missed by rubygems

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Lloyd Zusman, Jan 29, 2005.

  1. Lloyd Zusman

    Lloyd Zusman Guest

    I'm trying to download packages via rubygems, but only a subset of the
    packages that are available on the rubygems site are showing up when I
    do queries.

    The list at the bottom of this message is what I get when I issue the
    "gem query --remote" command. However, if I go directly to the
    "http://gems.rubyforge.org/gems/" site, there are a number of other
    packages listed which don't show up when I do the query.

    I also see all those other packages when I look in the yaml index
    at "http://gems.rubyforge.org/yaml".

    Does anyone know why my version of rubygems would be ignoring some of
    the packages that are listed on the site? For example, the "wee"
    package doesn't show up in the listing below, although it does appear on
    the site and in the yaml file, and other people seem to be able to see
    it and download it via the rubygems system.

    Thanks in advance.

    Here's what I did:

    # gem --version
    0.8.4
    # gem query --remote

    *** REMOTE GEMS ***

    cgikit (1.1.0)
    CGIKit is a componented-oriented web application framework like
    Apple Computers WebObjects. This framework services
    Model-View-Controller architecture programming by components based
    on a HTML file, a definition file and a Ruby source.

    copland (0.8.0, 0.1.0)
    Copland is an "Inversion of Control" (IoC, also called "Dependency
    Injection") container for Ruby, based heavily on the HiveMind
    container for Java. It supports both type-2 (setter) and type-3
    (constructor) injection.

    coverage (0.1)
    identifies inactive code

    dbdbd (0.2.2)
    dbdbd (David Black's Database Definer) -- for ad hoc flat-file
    database formats

    iterator (0.5)
    bidirectional external iterators

    jabber4r (0.7.0)
    Jabber4r is a pure-Ruby Jabber client library

    lafcadio (0.3.4)
    Lafcadio is an object-relational mapping layer

    Linguistics (1.0.2)
    This is a generic, language-neutral framework for extending Ruby
    objects with linguistic methods.

    log4r (1.0.5)
    Log4r is a comprehensive and flexible logging library for Ruby.

    net-ssh (0.1.0)
    Net::SSH is a pure-Ruby implementation of the SSH2 client protocol.

    Ook (1.0.2)
    A Ruby interpreter for the Ook!
    (www.dangermouse.net/esoteric/ook.html) and BrainF*ck
    (www.catseye.mb.ca/esoteric/bf/index.html) programming languages.

    progressbar (0.0.3)
    Ruby/ProgressBar is a text progress bar library for Ruby. It can
    indicate progress with percentage, a progress bar, and estimated
    remaining time.

    RedCloth (2.0.2)
    RedCloth is a module for using Textile in Ruby. Textile is a text
    format. A very simple text format. Another stab at making readable
    text that can be converted to HTML.

    rublog (0.8.0)
    RubLog is a simple web log, based around the idea of displaying a
    set of regular files in a log-format.

    RubyJDWP (0.0.1)
    Ruby implementation of the Java Debug Wire Protocol. This version is
    pre-alpha.

    sqlite (1.1.3)
    SQLite/Ruby is a module to allow Ruby scripts to interface with a
    SQLite database

    statistics (2001.2.28)
    module Math::Statistics provides common statistical functions
    #

    --
    Lloyd Zusman

    God bless you.

    Lloyd Zusman, Jan 29, 2005

  2. Lloyd Zusman

    Jim Weirich Guest

    On Saturday 29 January 2005 06:02 pm, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
    > I'm trying to download packages via rubygems, but only a subset of the
    > packages that are available on the rubygems site are showing up when I
    > do queries.

    How odd. When I do
    gem query --remote | egrep '^[^ ]' | wc -l
    I get an answer of 182.

    Try this command: gem env remote
    You should get http://gems.rubyforge.org as a response. This will tell us if
    you are attempting to get the gems from the correct source.

    --
    -- Jim Weirich http://onestepback.org

    Jim Weirich, Jan 29, 2005

  3. Lloyd Zusman

    Lloyd Zusman Guest

    Jim Weirich <> writes:

    > On Saturday 29 January 2005 06:02 pm, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
    >> I'm trying to download packages via rubygems, but only a subset of the
    >> packages that are available on the rubygems site are showing up when I
    >> do queries.

    > How odd. When I do
    > gem query --remote | egrep '^[^ ]' | wc -l
    > I get an answer of 182.

    Thanks for all your help.

    Here's what I get:

    # gem query --remote | egrep '^[^ ]' | wc -l
    20

    > Try this command: gem env remote
    > You should get http://gems.rubyforge.org as a response. This will
    > tell us if you are attempting to get the gems from the correct source.

    # gem env remote
    http://gems.rubyforge.org

    By the way, could this be making a difference? ...

    # ruby --version
    ruby 1.9.0 (2004-08-03) [i386-freebsd4.0]

    Later tonight or tomorrow I'll try to upgrade ruby from the latest
    cvs source, and see if I get any better results.

    ... or should I stick with the latest 1.8.x instead of 1.9?

    --
    Lloyd Zusman

    God bless you.

    Lloyd Zusman, Jan 30, 2005
  4. Lloyd Zusman

    Lloyd Zusman Guest

    Lloyd Zusman <> writes:

    > Jim Weirich <> writes:
    >
    >> On Saturday 29 January 2005 06:02 pm, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
    >>> I'm trying to download packages via rubygems, but only a subset of the
    >>> packages that are available on the rubygems site are showing up when I
    >>> do queries.

    >> [ ... ]

    > By the way, could this be making a difference? ...
    >
    > # ruby --version
    > ruby 1.9.0 (2004-08-03) [i386-freebsd4.0]
    >
    > Later tonight or tomorrow I'll try to upgrade ruby from the latest
    > cvs source, and see if I get any better results.

    I upgraded ruby, and now everything works:

    # ruby --version
    ruby 1.9.0 (2005-01-29) [i386-freebsd4.0]
    # gem install wee
    Attempting local installation of 'wee'
    Local gem file not found: wee*.gem
    Attempting remote installation of 'wee'
    Successfully installed wee, version 0.5.0
    Installing RDoc documentation for wee-0.5.0...
    WARNING: Generating RDoc on .gem that may not have RDoc.

    So, all's well that ends well.

    Thanks again.

    --
    Lloyd Zusman