A plea for sanity!

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Ian Collins, Mar 26, 2008.

  1. Ian Collins

    Ian Collins Guest

    Can we please stop these pantomime oh yes it is, oh no it isn't
    topicality wars?

    If someone asks an off topic question, sent them on their way with a
    polite redirect.

    If someone posts information you thing is off topic, treat it as if it
    is spam and ignore it. All the pantomime bickering produces is noise.

    The noise in here is becoming deafening.

    --
    Ian Collins.
     
    Ian Collins, Mar 26, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Ian Collins

    jacob navia Guest

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > Can we please stop these pantomime oh yes it is, oh no it isn't
    > topicality wars?
    >
    > If someone asks an off topic question, sent them on their way with a
    > polite redirect.
    >
    > If someone posts information you thing is off topic, treat it as if it
    > is spam and ignore it. All the pantomime bickering produces is noise.
    >
    > The noise in here is becoming deafening.
    >


    OFF TOPIC OFF TOPIC!

    "pantomine bickering" is not in the C standard.

    :)

    --
    jacob navia
    jacob at jacob point remcomp point fr
    logiciels/informatique
    http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32
     
    jacob navia, Mar 26, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Ian Collins

    Richard Guest

    Ian Collins <> writes:

    > Can we please stop these pantomime oh yes it is, oh no it isn't
    > topicality wars?
    >
    > If someone asks an off topic question, sent them on their way with a
    > polite redirect.


    better : just ignore it. The worst thing is you and others racing each
    other to see who can post the most "polite rebukes" in a single day. It
    is ridiculous. Don't think its on topic - ignore it. I have seen "OT
    posts" garner as many as 10 same level "this is c.l.c, your NG is down
    the road on the left" net nanny rebukes. And I don't hold that they didn't
    know about the other replies - this is 2008 not 1974.

    > If someone posts information you thing is off topic, treat it as if it
    > is spam and ignore it. All the pantomime bickering produces is noise.


    You got that right.
    >
    > The noise in here is becoming deafening.


    What? Speak up.
     
    Richard, Mar 26, 2008
    #3
  4. Ian Collins wrote:

    > The noise in here is becoming deafening.


    I find that killfiling morons like Navia, and threadplonking any thread
    he posts more than once into on the principle that he's merely trolling
    for flamewars to stoke his overweening ego and fuel his paranoia,
    significantly quietens it down.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    CLC FAQ <http://c-faq.com/>
    CLC readme: <http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt>
     
    Mark McIntyre, Mar 26, 2008
    #4
  5. Ian Collins

    Richard Guest

    Mark McIntyre <> writes:

    > Ian Collins wrote:
    >
    >> The noise in here is becoming deafening.

    >
    > I find that killfiling morons like Navia, and threadplonking any
    > thread he posts more than once into on the principle that he's merely
    > trolling for flamewars to stoke his overweening ego and fuel his
    > paranoia, significantly quietens it down.


    The irony is palpable.
     
    Richard, Mar 26, 2008
    #5
  6. Ian Collins

    Eric Sosman Guest

    Mark McIntyre wrote:
    > Ian Collins wrote:
    >
    >> The noise in here is becoming deafening.

    >
    > I find that killfiling morons like Navia, and threadplonking any thread
    > he posts more than once into on the principle that he's merely trolling
    > for flamewars to stoke his overweening ego and fuel his paranoia,
    > significantly quietens it down.


    Killfiling Navia isn't a good idea, because he's not an
    actual moron. (My killfile has discriminating tastes: It will
    accept only *genuine* morons.) Also, killfiling Navia doesn't
    work because he has an unusual ability to engender lengthy and
    vituperative threads into which nearly everyone is drawn, perhaps
    by a sense of outrage; killfile Navia and you'll just read him as
    quoted by anyone else you care to mention.

    Your second suggestion, though, has merit: Killfile the
    threads in which he becomes too obstreporous. I started doing
    that yesterday, and the noise level has already dropped
    measurably.

    --
    Eric Sosman
    lid
     
    Eric Sosman, Mar 27, 2008
    #6
  7. On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:19:37 +1300, Ian Collins
    <> wrote:

    >Can we please stop these pantomime oh yes it is, oh no it isn't
    >topicality wars?
    >
    >If someone asks an off topic question, sent them on their way with a
    >polite redirect.
    >
    >If someone posts information you thing is off topic, treat it as if it
    >is spam and ignore it. All the pantomime bickering produces is noise.
    >
    >The noise in here is becoming deafening.


    I appreciate your sentiment but you're pissing against the wind.
    There are far too many anal-rentative obsessive control freaks in
    the newsgroup. They will not let it go and will cannot let it
    go. The social dynamics will not change; the pattern is set.
    Deal with it however you like. My advice, such as it is, is to
    ruthlessly skip the rubbish.



    Richard Harter,
    http://home.tiac.net/~cri, http://www.varinoma.com
    Save the Earth now!!
    It's the only planet with chocolate.
     
    Richard Harter, Mar 27, 2008
    #7
  8. Ian Collins

    Gerry Ford Guest

    "Richard Harter" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:19:37 +1300, Ian Collins
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Can we please stop these pantomime oh yes it is, oh no it isn't
    >>topicality wars?
    >>
    >>If someone asks an off topic question, sent them on their way with a
    >>polite redirect.
    >>
    >>If someone posts information you thing is off topic, treat it as if it
    >>is spam and ignore it. All the pantomime bickering produces is noise.
    >>
    >>The noise in here is becoming deafening.

    >
    > I appreciate your sentiment but you're pissing against the wind.
    > There are far too many anal-rentative obsessive control freaks in
    > the newsgroup. They will not let it go and will cannot let it
    > go. The social dynamics will not change; the pattern is set.
    > Deal with it however you like. My advice, such as it is, is to
    > ruthlessly skip the rubbish.
    >

    There's always the central drama with "the regs" and topicality. What's
    going on with all the spam? I'm hit and run with newsgroups and that stuff
    just clogs my newsreader. If someone can give information about the german
    flights spammer, I can do what I can to ruin his day.
    --

    "I am waiting for them to prove that God is really American."

    ~~ Lawrence Ferlinghetti
     
    Gerry Ford, Mar 27, 2008
    #8
  9. On 26 Mar 2008 at 22:19, Ian Collins wrote:
    > Can we please stop these pantomime oh yes it is, oh no it isn't
    > topicality wars?
    >
    > If someone posts information you thing is off topic, treat it as if it
    > is spam and ignore it. All the pantomime bickering produces is noise.
    >
    > The noise in here is becoming deafening.


    It's great to see a regular coming across to "our" point of view. The
    Clique's obsession with topicality has been disastrous for this group,
    and I whole-heartedly agree with Ian that everyone should just get on
    with making their contributions and not criticize others for making
    theirs because of a different view of topicality.
     
    Antoninus Twink, Mar 27, 2008
    #9
  10. Ian Collins

    Default User Guest

    Eric Sosman wrote:

    > Mark McIntyre wrote:
    > > Ian Collins wrote:
    > >
    > > > The noise in here is becoming deafening.

    > >
    > > I find that killfiling morons like Navia, and threadplonking any
    > > thread he posts more than once into on the principle that he's
    > > merely trolling for flamewars to stoke his overweening ego and
    > > fuel his paranoia, significantly quietens it down.

    >
    > Killfiling Navia isn't a good idea, because he's not an
    > actual moron.


    I disagree. He's become worse, with the accusations of persecution.

    > Also, killfiling Navia doesn't
    > work because he has an unusual ability to engender lengthy and
    > vituperative threads into which nearly everyone is drawn, perhaps
    > by a sense of outrage; killfile Navia and you'll just read him as
    > quoted by anyone else you care to mention.


    When I'm particularly tired of his crap, I employ the filter that
    deletes any post with "jacob" or "navia" in it.




    Brian
     
    Default User, Mar 27, 2008
    #10
  11. Ian Collins

    Default User Guest

    Gerry Ford wrote:


    > There's always the central drama with "the regs" and topicality.
    > What's going on with all the spam? I'm hit and run with newsgroups
    > and that stuff just clogs my newsreader. If someone can give
    > information about the german flights spammer, I can do what I can to
    > ruin his day.


    I see very little (none this past day). Between my own set of filters
    and whatever news.individual.net is doing, it's reduced to a tiny
    trickle.





    Brian
     
    Default User, Mar 27, 2008
    #11
  12. Ian Collins

    Richard Guest

    "Default User" <> writes:

    > Gerry Ford wrote:
    >
    >
    >> There's always the central drama with "the regs" and topicality.
    >> What's going on with all the spam? I'm hit and run with newsgroups
    >> and that stuff just clogs my newsreader. If someone can give
    >> information about the german flights spammer, I can do what I can to
    >> ruin his day.

    >
    > I see very little (none this past day). Between my own set of filters
    > and whatever news.individual.net is doing, it's reduced to a tiny
    > trickle.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Brian


    I find it funny that probably the least useful poster of the lot, e.g
    Default User, is the most vocal one about protecting his patch.

    All he does is post "OT" rejoinders and is almost as frequently wrong as
    Chuck Falconer.

    Laughable. If exposed, hide behind filters. After all, thats what Usenet
    help groups are for!
     
    Richard, Mar 27, 2008
    #12
  13. On 27 Mar 2008 at 21:06, Richard wrote:
    > "Default User" <> writes:
    >
    >> Gerry Ford wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> There's always the central drama with "the regs" and topicality.
    >>> What's going on with all the spam? I'm hit and run with newsgroups
    >>> and that stuff just clogs my newsreader. If someone can give
    >>> information about the german flights spammer, I can do what I can to
    >>> ruin his day.

    >>
    >> I see very little (none this past day). Between my own set of filters
    >> and whatever news.individual.net is doing, it's reduced to a tiny
    >> trickle.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Brian

    >
    > I find it funny that probably the least useful poster of the lot, e.g
    > Default User, is the most vocal one about protecting his patch.
    >
    > All he does is post "OT" rejoinders and is almost as frequently wrong as
    > Chuck Falconer.
    >
    > Laughable. If exposed, hide behind filters. After all, thats what Usenet
    > help groups are for!


    Default Loser is a scar on the face of the human race. The thing I find
    most amazing is that in his own mind he's so important that he believes
    the contents of his killfiles and filters will be of universal
    fascination.
     
    Antoninus Twink, Mar 27, 2008
    #13
  14. Gerry Ford said:

    <snip>

    > Where you can't avoid the spam is when you use the google portal. Page
    > after page of tennis shoes and german flights. I don't understand the
    > spammer's motivation.


    Unfortunately, it's all too easy. The spammer reasons as follows: "only one
    person in a million[1] is stupid enough to respond to spam; therefore, if
    I place my message before the eyes of a thousand million people, I'll get
    a thousand customers, and the fact that I'm costing the other 999,999,000
    people time, money and server space is of no consequence to me
    whatsoever".

    I am opposed to the use of chemical weapons, so really I'm at a loss to
    know how best to solve the problem of spam. It's a big problem.


    [1] FCOV "million" - s/million/big number/ if it makes you happy.

    --
    Richard Heathfield <http://www.cpax.org.uk>
    Email: -http://www. +rjh@
    Google users: <http://www.cpax.org.uk/prg/writings/googly.php>
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29 July 1999
     
    Richard Heathfield, Mar 27, 2008
    #14
  15. Ian Collins

    Default User Guest

    Gerry Ford wrote:


    > I don't use a killfile because OE is inflexible that way. I
    > killfiled myself accidentally once. Had to re-install.


    I'm plonking you now because seem unable to resist feeding the trolls.




    Brian
     
    Default User, Mar 27, 2008
    #15
  16. Ian Collins

    Richard Guest

    "Default User" <> writes:

    > Gerry Ford wrote:
    >
    >
    >> I don't use a killfile because OE is inflexible that way. I
    >> killfiled myself accidentally once. Had to re-install.

    >
    > I'm plonking you now because seem unable to resist feeding the trolls.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Brian


    And *that* Gerry is the kind of self opinionated arse you are dealing
    with. Bwian is a c.l.c clique wannabe. But unlike Heathfield, his
    knowledge of C is very small indeed - so he settles for barking at
    anyone who enters the cliques hunting ground without pay due respect to
    the groups big dogs.

    As you just discovered.
     
    Richard, Mar 28, 2008
    #16
  17. Ian Collins

    Gerry Ford Guest

    "Antoninus Twink" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On 27 Mar 2008 at 21:06, Richard wrote:
    >> "Default User" <> writes:
    >>
    >>> Gerry Ford wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> There's always the central drama with "the regs" and topicality.
    >>>> What's going on with all the spam? I'm hit and run with newsgroups
    >>>> and that stuff just clogs my newsreader. If someone can give
    >>>> information about the german flights spammer, I can do what I can to
    >>>> ruin his day.
    >>>
    >>> I see very little (none this past day). Between my own set of filters
    >>> and whatever news.individual.net is doing, it's reduced to a tiny
    >>> trickle.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Brian

    >>
    >> I find it funny that probably the least useful poster of the lot, e.g
    >> Default User, is the most vocal one about protecting his patch.
    >>
    >> All he does is post "OT" rejoinders and is almost as frequently wrong as
    >> Chuck Falconer.
    >>
    >> Laughable. If exposed, hide behind filters. After all, thats what Usenet
    >> help groups are for!

    >
    > Default Loser is a scar on the face of the human race. The thing I find
    > most amazing is that in his own mind he's so important that he believes
    > the contents of his killfiles and filters will be of universal
    > fascination.
    >

    I don't use a killfile because OE is inflexible that way. I killfiled
    myself accidentally once. Had to re-install.

    How you think that to criticize Brian with a description of Dick Cheney is
    going to influence anybody is beyond me. Wherein was Brian's comment a
    rejoinder? Have you ever addressed a topic in C?

    Where you can't avoid the spam is when you use the google portal. Page
    after page of tennis shoes and german flights. I don't understand the
    spammer's motivation.
    --

    "I am waiting for them to prove that God is really American."

    ~~ Lawrence Ferlinghetti
     
    Gerry Ford, Mar 28, 2008
    #17
  18. Ian Collins

    Noob Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > The irony is palpable.


    That's because your fingers are numb.
     
    Noob, Mar 28, 2008
    #18
  19. Richard Heathfield wrote:

    (of spammers)

    > I am opposed to the use of chemical weapons, so really I'm at a loss to
    > know how best to solve the problem of spam. It's a big problem.


    My two favoured options are
    1) public pillorying, flogging and display in a cage; or
    2) transportation.

    I assume the Aussies won't have 'em so I suggest Mercury. They can fry
    their spam there...
     
    Mark McIntyre, Mar 28, 2008
    #19
  20. "Default User" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Gerry Ford wrote:
    >
    >
    >> I don't use a killfile because OE is inflexible that way. I
    >> killfiled myself accidentally once. Had to re-install.

    >
    > I'm plonking you now because seem unable to resist feeding the trolls.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Brian


    Do you really work at Boeing, Brian?

    Clc is in a spam blizzard. If you set killfiles and filters and tend them
    like your roses, they might not get through. For interlopers, this is a
    sorry sight. First with the tennis shoes, then flugs to london, then sex
    stuff that makes me want to nuke people.

    How is it that C gurus are confounded this way?

    --

    "I am waiting for them to prove that God is really American."

    ~~ Lawrence Ferlinghetti
     
    C. Gordon Liddy, Mar 31, 2008
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    10
    Views:
    557
    Otis Mukinfus
    Apr 15, 2006
  2. Mason A. Clark

    A plea: where are the links?

    Mason A. Clark, Sep 4, 2005, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    369
    Jim Moe
    Sep 4, 2005
  3. Bob Gailer

    Re: regex plea for help

    Bob Gailer, Jun 27, 2003, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    595
    Bob Gailer
    Jun 27, 2003
  4. regex plea for help

    , Jun 27, 2003, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    645
  5. Martin Bless
    Replies:
    54
    Views:
    1,074
    David MacQuigg
    Mar 6, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page