a podcast for music algo-comped with python

2

'2+

well maybe am over-advertising .. excuse me ...

am new to python but my
"algo-comping cs.sco with python" thang kinda got lauched after all
so decided to move from java to python to do these thangs
completly platform independently

oh .. am just curious who are the guys over here composing weird music with python

as my self-introduction...
this is the podcast am focusing on cs.py:
http://www002.upp.so-net.ne.jp/buyobuyo/micro/rss.xml
files of scripts i used to create the sound is also linked from the html
http://www002.upp.so-net.ne.jp/buyobuyo/micro/080812.html
so would be happy if any of could give me a comment
well ... i think my scripts are still too simple but dirty
so any suggestion would be welcomed

tia

Paul Boddie

oh .. am just curious who are the guys over here composing weird music with python

as my self-introduction...
this is the podcast am focusing on cs.py:
http://www002.upp.so-net.ne.jp/buyobuyo/micro/rss.xml
files of scripts i used to create the sound is also linked from the html
http://www002.upp.so-net.ne.jp/buyobuyo/micro/080812.html
so would be happy if any of could give me a comment

The MP3 file available from the above page reminds me of background
music from a 1990s game whose name I can't remember, and I wonder if
there's any potential for combining this with game writing, if you
aren't already doing so.

Paul

2

'2+

hey thanx
maybe these days .. game-programmers are doing algo-comp
without talking loud about it?

is python running as backbones of some games?

well ... maybe i'd simply want to start from writing a funny cute one
that can play strange sounds with pc-kbd ...
is it simple if is not about sound-file rendering?

is it likely that sndobj would become the standard module
that comes with python-package?
at this moment i need csound to ceate a sound-file
but well it is not everybody that has csound installed
and it might be the same with sndobj

Paul Boddie

hey thanx
maybe these days .. game-programmers are doing algo-comp
without talking loud about it?

is python running as backbones of some games?

Here's a link to a fairly reasonable summary of Python and games:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonGames
well ... maybe i'd simply want to start from writing a funny cute one
that can play strange sounds with pc-kbd ...
is it simple if is not about sound-file rendering?

I'm not sure if I follow the question. I don't have much experience
with making sound effects, preferring to compose and "pre-render" my
music, but I imagine there are some tricks that are possible with
waveform generation and real-time sequencing/playback. I've always
stayed away from trying to get MIDI stuff, for example, working in
real-time on Linux because of the bizarre requirements for kernel
modules and CPU-devouring software like timidity.
is it likely that sndobj would become the standard module
that comes with python-package?
at this moment i need csound to ceate a sound-file
but well it is not everybody that has csound installed
and it might be the same with sndobj

My experience is limited to what Pygame supports, together with any
necessary persuasion Linux needs to wire the running program up to
whatever sound system may have control over the sound hardware. The
Pygame site is here, by the way:

http://www.pygame.org/

It would surprise me if the topic of algorithms for generating music
had not at least been mentioned in the Pygame community at some point.

Paul

castironpi

I'm not sure if I follow the question. I don't have much experience
with making sound effects, preferring to compose and "pre-render" my
music, but I imagine there are some tricks that are possible with
waveform generation and real-time sequencing/playback.

Oh really, sounds interesting. What tricks?
I've always
stayed away from trying to get MIDI stuff, for example, working in
real-time on Linux because of the bizarre requirements for kernel
modules and CPU-devouring software like timidity.

It would surprise me if the topic of algorithms for generating music
had not at least been mentioned in the Pygame community at some point.

Paul

There's a newsgroup for it:

http://groups.google.com/group/python-sound

with very low traffic since its creation, since it was announced here
in the Spring.

Paul Boddie

Oh really, sounds interesting.  What tricks?

Getting it to work, mostly. ;-) I've seen some code reminiscent of the
microcomputer era, if I remember correctly, where one is able to
specify envelopes and things like that, but I'll have to dig around to
see where that was posted.

Paul