A problem in storing HTML in database or a problem in finding the right reporting solution?

Merek

Hi all,

We need to allow the user to store, view and edit blocks of rich text
via an ASP.NET application.

After adopting one of the many rich text editors out there that
outputs HTML we are storing that HTML directly in the database. The
problem emerges when we try to feed this data to a reporting solution.

Our current platform, Crystal Reports + Enterprise does not allow for
'dangerous' tags such as tables, and it looks like there is no easy
way around it. Active Reports does not seem to have any support for
html translation at all (even though it does look like a much
healthier choice than crystal)

Would anyone have any suggestions on which way we should head? What is
the 'correct' way of dealing with rich text in database? How about
least painful way of generating reports that have some controlled HTML
structure in the fields?

Deeply appreciate all comments and questions.

Please do not email your response, it will get lost. Post here instead
so that everyone can benefit.

Regards,
Merek