A problem with XML Declaration

Discussion in 'XML' started by nilayenator@gmail.com, Dec 5, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I'm relatively new to XML and facing many simple problems.Can somebody
    help me please??? Here is the Error message that comes when I try to
    validate my XML File in XML Spy:

    Character '<' is grammatically unexpected in column 1 at line 1

    And here is the Part of the Code:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <Projects>
    <presentProjects>
    <project>
    <projectName>IDEAS</projectName>
    <projectDesc>Research and development in partnership with Physics
    faculty to engage 4th-6th grade children after school with astronomy
    and space science resources and computer and video technologies to
    create projects of their choosing</projectDesc>
    <image/>
    <organization>NASA-Space Telescope Science Institute</organization>
    <projectDuration>2006-2008</projectDuration>
    </project>
    <project>
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

    , Dec 5, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    >I'm relatively new to XML and facing many simple problems.Can somebody
    >help me please??? Here is the Error message that comes when I try to
    >validate my XML File in XML Spy:
    >
    >Character '<' is grammatically unexpected in column 1 at line 1

    There's nothing obviously wrong with the file you posted, so it's
    probably something that doesn't show up, like some whitespace before
    the XML declaration (though why in that case it would say the < is in
    column 1, line 1, I don't know).

    Try running your file through some other validator, such as RXP:

    http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/rxp.html

    -- Richard
    in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.

    Richard Tobin, Dec 5, 2006

  3. Andy Dingley Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm relatively new to XML and facing many simple problems.Can somebody
    > help me please??? Here is the Error message that comes when I try to
    > validate my XML File in XML Spy:

    Find a better editor or validator than XML Spy (try a free one!)

    IMHE, one of the worst things about XML Spy was its habit of giving you
    errors of the form "Diddly-squat somewhere near here" and no real idea
    as to what was wrong or where.

    Andy Dingley, Dec 5, 2006