a Python Static Analyzer

Dan Stromberg

Hi,

I thought it would be worth contributing some awareness of Yin Wang's PySonar2 Python static analyzer being open sourced, it's here https://github.com/yinwang0/pysonar2. I recently converted it from being implemented in Java to being implemented in Python - here https://github.com/ariejdl/pysonarsq. All the critical tests pass, it may interest pythonistas to be able tohack on something like this actually in Python.

This is interesting.

Where does PySonar2 sit in the spectrum from pylint
(thorough/pedantic) to pyflakes (relaxed/few-false-positives)?

I use pylint and pyflakes a lot, and I've heard that PyChecker sits in
between them on this axis.

Chris Rebert

Where does PySonar2 sit in the spectrum from pylint
(thorough/pedantic) to pyflakes (relaxed/few-false-positives)?

I use pylint and pyflakes a lot, and I've heard that PyChecker sits in
between them on this axis.

My impression is that PyChecker has been abandoned.
The last commit in its SourceForge CVS repo is from 2008, and `pip
install PyChecker` fails.

Cheers,
Chris

arie.lakeman

My impression is that PyChecker has been abandoned.

The last commit in its SourceForge CVS repo is from 2008, and `pip

install PyChecker` fails.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I can't comment on the comparative sophistication of PySonar2 to pylint andpyflakes, my experience of those two projects is as code quality tools, whereas I've been using PySonar2 for things along the lines of indexing code at a more semantic level, something I'm satisfied with.

Here's a comment on a reddit post about PySonar a month ago

http://www.reddit.com/comments/1piusr

`
Yin Wang is awesome and his work on programming languages and type inference is super impressive. We've been using his PySonar (v1) to build a global index of Python code and it works far better than we or anyone would have expected, for a dynamic language.
Here are some examples of what PySonar can do:
Finding everywhere a function is used
Python stdlib, sorted by most-used functions
All usages of the Django URL render_to_response function
All usages of the Flask @app.route decorator
This is all done using PySonar v1-based static analysis on Python code. PySonar v2 is even better.
`

I've referred Yin to this google group post.

Mark Lawrence

[...]

Looks like very good work, thanks for the data.

But please note that I'm reading this via email, not google groups. If
you'd care to look above, you'll observe the double line spacing that
gets inserted into everything that we see from gg, unless you read and
action this https://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython If you'd be
kind enough to do this it would be greatly appreciated by many people
here. TIA.