A Pythonic Way to Measure and Improve Your Programming Skills?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jeff Rush, Mar 9, 2007.

  1. Jeff Rush

    Jeff Rush Guest

    (inspired by a thread on the psf-members list about Python certification)

    Those who know me know I am no fan of the programmer certification industry
    and I agree that your typical certificate arrangement, e.g. to show HR to get
    that box checked in your candidate file, so a company can skip responsibility
    in vetting a candidate, is un-Pythonic. However, I do think we need a good
    answer to the engineering manager or team leader who asks, "how do I know this
    person knows Python?", and to the candidate who thinks, "I believe I'm good at
    Python but am I as good as I think?".

    The first case primarily cares about the reputation of the testing facility
    within the industry, so that if they choose wrong, they are absolved of blame.
    The latter two are often honestly looking for some guidance on bringing good
    people in-house or to step-up their programming skills.

    As Python use spreads, it becomes more important for the community to provide
    benchmarks for measuring skill levels, to avoid Python being relegated to the,
    respectfully, lightweight programmer category e.g. PHP or perhaps Ruby on
    Rails (not Ruby the language).

    Prior to PyCon I'd been thinking about some kind of campaign, service or
    documents, that I call "So you think you know Python...". My initial idea was
    for use by Python programmers, who are honest with themselves, to have a way
    to measure their knowledge. We all run into or are programmers who think they
    are hot-stuff, especially those of us who work solo as many in our community
    do, but when put side-by-side against others, fall a bit short. PyCon can
    have that effect, with so many smart people in a small area. ;-) But the
    objective isn't to denegrate these programmers but to provide a measuring
    stick, along with an educational roadmap, so they can make wise choices.

    The rapid growth in use of Python is going to lead to a shortage in Python
    programmers, unless we manage the supply side as well. The manager wanting to
    find and hire good Python programmers is not an adversary seeking to use
    certificates to commoditize our community, but an ally in helping us get
    industry respect and career opportunities using our favorite language. We
    need to behind what he asks for to see what he needs.

    I've been carefully watching Crunchy, about which a talk was given at PyCon,
    for writing tutorials that, with its "doctests" feature, could be used to
    propose tests that pass and require a candidate to write an acceptable
    program. This week I was prototyping an "rst2crunchy" tool, that let's you
    write Crunchy scripts in reStructured Text, rather than HTML. Crunchy needs
    more features, such as a user login facility and measurement facilities to
    store test submissions for review by experienced Python programmers after they
    pass. From what I hear on the edu-sig list, André Roberge and Johannes
    Woolard are tackling these but could use more help. Johannes in particular
    was a student for Google's Summer of Code 2006 and I believe is looking for
    sponsorship for 2007.

    But perhaps Crunchy is not the ready answer in this case, so I'm looking for
    suggestions.

    With regard to how a manager can know a person is good at Python, besides
    looking at their portfolio of work, we could stake out conceptual areas of the
    language or libraries about which a programmer should be conversant. This
    might be a document, with example questions but carefully focused on what lies
    behind those questions, so an interviewer can come up with his own questions
    and avoid rote memorization. This conceptual map could also eventually form
    the basis of advanced-placement in schools that goes beyond those terrible
    Visual BASIC test questions. And for the Python programmer who wonders if his
    knowledge is broad enough and wants to improve him or herself, the conceptual
    map could have links/recommendations to training materials on specific topics.

    Join me on the advocacy list and let's discuss this further.

    You can join at:

    Jeff Rush
    Python Advocacy Coordinator
    Jeff Rush, Mar 9, 2007