A query regarding validation of xml-schemas

Discussion in 'XML' started by Divya Alice George, Oct 10, 2003.

  1. Dear Sir,
    My problem is that i am required to validate a given schema
    against the standard DTDs provided by w3.org- namely xmlschema.dtd and
    datatypes.dtd.
    Presently, I load the given schema into an ActiveXObject and use
    the function validate(). The function validate() does some sort of
    validation of the given schema aginst the standard dtds mentioned
    above and throws error in case the validation fails.
    But there are many cases which this function validate() does not
    check for .. like for example, the function does not check whether the
    value of the maxOccurs attribute is always greater than or equal to
    the minOccurs attribute. Similarly there are many issues that the
    function validate() does not address.
    I would like to know whether there is any available function which
    checks for all the cases and decides if the schema conforms to the
    standard dtds provided by w3.org.
    or are we supposed to create our own functions to check for these
    extra cases not addressed by function validate().
    I would greatly appreciate it if you could mail me the answer to this
    query.
    Thankyou.
    regards,
    Divya Alice George
    Divya Alice George, Oct 10, 2003

  2. Divya Alice George

    Martin Boehm Guest

    "Divya Alice George" <> wrote in message

    > Dear Sir,

    There is more than one in this group. ;-)

    > [...]
    > But there are many cases which this function validate() does not
    > check for .. like for example, the function does not check whether the
    > value of the maxOccurs attribute is always greater than or equal to
    > the minOccurs attribute.

    You cannot accomplish such a thing with a DTD, it is technically
    impossible. Thus it is not the fault of the validate() method not to
    find this kind of error.
    Being valid does not imply that the XML file makes sense.

    > or are we supposed to create our own functions to check for these
    > extra cases not addressed by function validate().

    Have a look at the SOM (Schema Object Model), it may help you a bit
    further. At least it may keep you from implementing high level checking
    from scratch, reducing the task to a few "for each ... in ..." loops.

    > I would greatly appreciate it if you could mail me the answer to this
    > query.

    SELECT 'No'

    Martin

    P.S.: I don't think it is to much asked to check one thread in one
    newsgroup, even through groups.google.
    Martin Boehm, Oct 10, 2003