A question about creating Maildir mailboxes with mailbox.Maildir

Discussion in 'Python' started by tinnews@isbd.co.uk, Apr 3, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I have mail delivered into Maildirs which live in a directory
    hierarchy as follows:-

    /home/isbd/Mail/Li/<name of maildir>
    /home/isbd/Mail/In/<name of maildir>

    Note that neither /home/isbd/Mail/Li nor /home/isbd/Mail/In are
    Maildir mailboxes. How do I create a new Maildir mailbox in either Li
    or In with mailbox.Maildir.add_folder()?

    If I have created an instance of Maildir with:-

    md = mailbox.Maildir("/home/isbd/Mail/Li")

    that implies that /home/isbd/Mail/Li is a Maildir, which it isn't, and
    anyway the above fails because it can't see the new, cur and tmp
    directories in /home/isbd/Mail/Li.

    It seems that the Python Maildir implementation assumes a Courier
    style (probably IMAP) Maildir hierarchy with an INBOX and using dots
    rather than real directories to create sub-directories.

    I don't have an INBOX or any sort of 'home' maildir, it's most
    definitely not a requirement of maildir.

    --
    Chris Green
    , Apr 3, 2008