A question about learning/schools.

Discussion in 'Perl' started by James White, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. James White

    James White Guest

    I have a young nephew who appears to be developing into a natural
    geek/nerd/guru/whatever and as he learns I need to make sure that he stays
    on the side of the white hats, rather than going down the learning path of
    cracker/warez/illegal_downloading.

    I am retired and my fortran/cobol programming experience is not going to
    help him much. I have suggested that as a start he learn C++ to get in
    the nitty gritty of programming and perl to get things done. (A joke, no
    flames please). Fortunately I got him started on Linux rather than that
    other OS that his friends use.

    In my day learning was usually at a company's expense, or possibly at the
    college level although that was usually fairly basic - about what you can
    get from a book now. The company training is pretty much gone now.

    My question for you younger guys, is where did you get your start in perl
    or the current languages? Self taught, college, Internet tutorials, rich
    uncle?

    Thanks guys/gals
    James White

    "If you ain't stored your code in iron donuts, you ain't ever programmed"

    James White, Feb 16, 2004

  2. James White

    ZafT Guest

    "James White" <> wrote in message
    > I have a young nephew who appears to be developing into a natural

    <snip ->

    > My question for you younger guys, is where did you get your start in perl
    > or the current languages? Self taught, college, Internet tutorials, rich
    > uncle?

    I started by reverse engineering code while reading books. I'm a big fan of
    the perl cookbook (O'reilly and assc.). If he wants to take a class, he can
    take one at a community college - they are more likely to be up on perl than
    many universities. But if he has natural talent, he will pick up the basic
    pretty quick. Once you get started, all you have to do is give something a
    try (a good try) and figure out what question to ask. There are plenty of
    people here that have helped me with projects. The only prereq is that you
    have to have tried like hell to get it to work, and then post your code.
    Skip either of these steps, and you'd better be wearing fireproof gear,
    because you can expect a flame. Nobody likes to write the code for you. But
    as I said, there is plenty of help to go around. He can email me if he
    wants some sample basic code to get started, but he can find plenty of that
    on the web.

    No rich uncle here....

    Shane

    ZafT, Feb 17, 2004