a question from a newcomer to this language

Shankar Iyer (siyer

Hi,

I am a undergraduate physics student, and I have been asked to write some code in Python for my summer job. Over the past few days, I have been learning Python and Tkinter, so naturally, I have several questions about the language. Here's one:

Is there any way to convert a string into an instruction that will be executed? For example, suppose there's a string sString = "z = x*y". Is there any way to have the instruction z = x*y be executed by performing some operation on sString?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shankar