A question on dressing (for female) for interview for an technical position in IT

Discussion in 'Java' started by amandaF, Oct 2, 2007.

  1. amandaF

    amandaF Guest

    Is it okay to wear any suit other than black or navy blue such as grey
    w/ black trim for an interview for an IT position in Informatics
    department like this one at
    http://www.bebe.com/gp/product/B000QY6AFO/ref=pd_sim_2/103-6386986-9517438?ie=UTF8&bbBrand=core

    The one in pics shows grey w/ brown trim; mine is black bought at the
    store. Also, I will be wearing a black turtleneck top underneath the
    jacket and my hair won't be looking like a model. It'd be shoulder
    length and straight. I definitely won't be twisting my body either:)

    The reason I am asking is that the suit is very shapely tailored with
    the pencil skirt - the pic doesn't show it well - showing the shape
    of the body really well (I do have a really nice shape body but I
    wouldn't want to be looking like I am showing off my body in a job
    interview). BTW, the back of the jacket in the middle area around the
    waist shows a few pleats that makes it really cute. (I wish the pic
    hows the back.) All these tricks with leather trim and pleats are
    ways to give room but when it looks too cute, it makes me wonder
    whether I will be a little over dressed for a techincal position in
    IT and looking like I am more interested in spending a lot of time in
    dressing up.

    I already wore my black suit that is a little simpler style to the
    career event from thist company. I don't want to buy another black
    one especially the store I used to go to 9petitie Sophisticate which
    sells for great price) went out of business.

    If you are in IT and an employer, recruiter, or interviewer, or know
    about this issue, please give me your opinion.

    amandaF, Oct 2, 2007

  2. amandaF

    GArlington Guest

    On 2 Oct, 17:27, amandaF <> wrote:
    > Is it okay to wear any suit other than black or navy blue such as grey
    > w/ black trim for an interview for an IT position in Informatics
    > department like this one athttp://www.bebe.com/gp/product/B000QY6AFO/ref=pd_sim_2/103-6386986-95...
    >
    > The one in pics shows grey w/ brown trim; mine is black bought at the
    > store. Also, I will be wearing a black turtleneck top underneath the
    > jacket and my hair won't be looking like a model. It'd be shoulder
    > length and straight. I definitely won't be twisting my body either:)
    >
    > The reason I am asking is that the suit is very shapely tailored with
    > the pencil skirt - the pic doesn't show it well - showing the shape
    > of the body really well (I do have a really nice shape body but I
    > wouldn't want to be looking like I am showing off my body in a job
    > interview). BTW, the back of the jacket in the middle area around the
    > waist shows a few pleats that makes it really cute. (I wish the pic
    > hows the back.) All these tricks with leather trim and pleats are
    > ways to give room but when it looks too cute, it makes me wonder
    > whether I will be a little over dressed for a techincal position in
    > IT and looking like I am more interested in spending a lot of time in
    > dressing up.
    >
    > I already wore my black suit that is a little simpler style to the
    > career event from thist company. I don't want to buy another black
    > one especially the store I used to go to 9petitie Sophisticate which
    > sells for great price) went out of business.
    >
    > If you are in IT and an employer, recruiter, or interviewer, or know
    > about this issue, please give me your opinion.

    It depends on what basis you want to be received and maybe later
    employed.
    I have been to many interviews (I have been a freelance consultant /
    software engineer for last 10 years and generally in IT for nearly 20)
    and only wore a suit to the interview twice (during last 10 years).
    Most of the time you would want to impress people in IT with your
    knowledge, not with your dress. Though I do like that suit...
    But, what would I know - I am a man after all.

    GArlington, Oct 2, 2007

  3. amandaF

    Mark Rafn Guest

    amandaF <> wrote:
    >Is it okay to wear any suit other than black or navy blue such as grey
    >w/ black trim for an interview for an IT position in Informatics
    >department

    >The reason I am asking is that the suit is very shapely tailored with
    >the pencil skirt

    >All these tricks with leather trim and pleats are
    >ways to give room but when it looks too cute, it makes me wonder
    >whether I will be a little over dressed for a techincal position in

    >If you are in IT and an employer, recruiter, or interviewer, or know
    >about this issue, please give me your opinion.

    I interview a fair number of people. For software developer and
    technical positions, at least on the West Coast of the USA, a suit is
    usually overdressed, but it's fairly common and doesn't interfere with the
    job prospects. Wearing something you're comfortable in, and most people
    will be comfortable around, so the clothes don't interfere with your
    interactions during the interview is important, but it doesn't need
    to specifically be a conservative navy suit.

    This varies widely by region and company, though, so if you're really
    worried, drop by the morning before and watch people entering the lobby, or
    ask your prospective employer what the normal attire is, and wear something
    half a notch above that.

    In the majority of technical positions, as long as you're within a reasonable
    range (and any suit for an interview is almost always in that range), how
    you dress won't matter nearly as much as how well you fit the position and
    how you connect and interact with your interviewer(s).

    Good luck!
    --
    Mark Rafn <http://www.dagon.net/>

    Mark Rafn, Oct 2, 2007
  4. amandaF

    amandaF Guest

    On Oct 2, 9:57 am, GArlington <> wrote:
    > On 2 Oct, 17:27, amandaF <> wrote:
    >

    > > Is it okay to wear any suit other than black or navy blue such as grey
    > > w/ black trim for an interview for an IT position in Informatics
    > > department like this one athttp://www.bebe.com/gp/product/B000QY6AFO/ref=pd_sim_2/103-6386986-95...

    > > The one in pics shows grey w/ brown trim; mine is black bought at the
    > > store. Also, I will be wearing a black turtleneck top underneath the
    > > jacket and my hair won't be looking like a model. It'd be shoulder
    > > length and straight. I definitely won't be twisting my body either:)

    > > The reason I am asking is that the suit is very shapely tailored with
    > > the pencil skirt - the pic doesn't show it well - showing the shape
    > > of the body really well (I do have a really nice shape body but I
    > > wouldn't want to be looking like I am showing off my body in a job
    > > interview). BTW, the back of the jacket in the middle area around the
    > > waist shows a few pleats that makes it really cute. (I wish the pic
    > > hows the back.) All these tricks with leather trim and pleats are
    > > ways to give room but when it looks too cute, it makes me wonder
    > > whether I will be a little over dressed for a techincal position in
    > > IT and looking like I am more interested in spending a lot of time in
    > > dressing up.

    > > I already wore my black suit that is a little simpler style to the
    > > career event from thist company. I don't want to buy another black
    > > one especially the store I used to go to 9petitie Sophisticate which
    > > sells for great price) went out of business.

    > > If you are in IT and an employer, recruiter, or interviewer, or know
    > > about this issue, please give me your opinion.

    > It depends on what basis you want to be received and maybe later
    > employed.
    > I have been to many interviews (I have been a freelance consultant /
    > software engineer for last 10 years and generally in IT for nearly 20)
    > and only wore a suit to the interview twice (during last 10 years).
    > Most of the time you would want to impress people in IT with your
    > knowledge, not with your dress. Though I do like that suit...
    > But, what would I know - I am a man after all.

    I wasn't trying to impress with the suit. Kind of liked that grew
    color which I realized was not as shosn int he pic - the pic seems
    more light gre with brown. I was quite reluctant and now am more
    convinced that I should do everythign possible not to draw any
    attention on my look because I already look above avergae and I need
    to tone it down.

    I don't mind wearing the same black suit again. It shouldn't be cold
    inside the building anyway.

    Thanks for the input.

    amandaF, Oct 2, 2007
  5. amandaF

    amandaF Guest

    On Oct 2, 11:11 am, (Mark Rafn) wrote:
    > amandaF <> wrote:
    > >Is it okay to wear any suit other than black or navy blue such as grey
    > >w/ black trim for an interview for an IT position in Informatics
    > >department

    > >The reason I am asking is that the suit is very shapely tailored with
    > >the pencil skirt

    > >All these tricks with leather trim and pleats are
    > >ways to give room but when it looks too cute, it makes me wonder
    > >whether I will be a little over dressed for a techincal position in

    > >If you are in IT and an employer, recruiter, or interviewer, or know
    > >about this issue, please give me your opinion.

    > I interview a fair number of people. For software developer and
    > technical positions, at least on the West Coast of the USA, a suit is
    > usually overdressed,

    Coming from Chemistry background - my previous trade, this information
    is very useful. This company is a pharmaceutical company btw but
    interview would be for IT position.

    > but it's fairly common and doesn't interfere with the
    > job prospects. Wearing something you're comfortable in, and most people
    > will be comfortable around, so the clothes don't interfere with your
    > interactions during the interview is important,

    I was wondering whether I'd be taken to meet people from other
    department, i.e chemists in research to see what they do and so I'd
    better not wear that thing which would definetly draw attention
    because it's just too stylish. I don't want eyes following me as I
    passed people.

    > but it doesn't need to specifically be a conservative navy suit.

    Good. I got rid of the idea to wear Navy blue when I left Chemical
    industry. I do have a suit that is kind of burgundy color. I guess I
    can use that if I have to meet the same person again first when I go
    to the interview.

    > This varies widely by region and company, though, so if you're really
    > worried, drop by the morning before and watch people entering the lobby,

    That's a good idea. I'd be flying to the east coast and so if I get a
    chnace, I'd go by there and see people as they leave.

    > ask your prospective employer what the normal attire is, and wear something
    > half a notch above that.

    I'll definitely do that.

    > In the majority of technical positions, as long as you're within a reasonable
    > range (and any suit for an interview is almost always in that range), how
    > you dress won't matter nearly as much as how well you fit the position and
    > how you connect and interact with your interviewer(s).

    I understand that. I just wanted to avoid looking too stylish.

    > Good luck!

    Thank you.

    amandaF, Oct 2, 2007
  6. amandaF

    Tobi Guest

    I think it depends the most on the feel of the company, but I don't
    think a suit in general is ever bad. If it is a very conservative/
    traditional company, then the color *might* matter, but for the most
    part, I think IT people tend to be fairly casual enough not to notice
    something that specific.

    If anything, I would 2nd the person that said make sure you feel
    comfortable in what you are wearing. Tech interview are hard enough
    without having to worry about what you are wearing.

    Good luck!

    Tobi

    Tobi, Oct 2, 2007
  7. amandaF

    amandaF Guest

    On Oct 2, 11:41 am, Tobi <> wrote:
    > I think it depends the most on the feel of the company, but I don't
    > think a suit in general is ever bad. If it is a very conservative/
    > traditional company, then the color *might* matter, but for the most
    > part, I think IT people tend to be fairly casual enough not to notice
    > something that specific.

    Okay.

    > If anything, I would 2nd the person that said make sure you feel
    > comfortable in what you are wearing. Tech interview are hard enough
    > without having to worry about what you are wearing.
    >
    > Good luck!

    Thanks.

    > Tobi

    I decided to put on the suit just now and check functionality better.
    (I only tried it at the store yeterday; they gave me this ridiculous
    high heel to try with it and so I was worrying about slipping than
    anything else when they asked me to come out and gave their thumps up
    review)

    I walked from my dresser to this room and am typing wearing it with
    *my shoe* and I can function just fine.

    I doubt that I'd be wearing this for that interview but I do feel
    better to realize that my suit is not exactly like that one shown in
    the pic with pleats in the front. Aside from being darker grey, mine
    doesn't have pleats in the front and have a normal appearance. Now, I
    am only debating whether I should keep this suit or not. Where would I
    use it, etc.?

    amandaF, Oct 2, 2007
  8. On Oct 2, 12:27 pm, amandaF <> wrote:

    > If you are in IT and an employer, recruiter, or interviewer, or know
    > about this issue, please give me your opinion.

    Amanda:

    As long as you don't show up dressed like Reese Witherspoon in
    "Legally Blonde", carrying a dog with a little pink hat...

    As long as you are not dressed like a goth queen or Elvira...

    As long as you don't have a bunch of visible tatoos and/or
    piercings...

    As long as you don't wear a miniskirt that makes it impossible to sit
    down (Fran Fine comes to mind)...

    I wouldn't look at your dressing twice -and trust me, I do enjoy
    watching and pursuing the ladies *outside* work.

    -Ramon

    Ramon F Herrera, Oct 3, 2007
  9. amandaF

    amandaF Guest

    On Oct 2, 4:22 pm, Ramon F Herrera <> wrote:
    > On Oct 2, 12:27 pm, amandaF <> wrote:
    >

    > > If you are in IT and an employer, recruiter, or interviewer, or know
    > > about this issue, please give me your opinion.

    > Amanda:
    >
    > As long as you don't show up dressed like Reese Witherspoon in
    > "Legally Blonde", carrying a dog with a little pink hat...
    >
    > As long as you are not dressed like a goth queen or Elvira...
    >
    > As long as you don't have a bunch of visible tatoos and/or
    > piercings...
    >
    > As long as you don't wear a miniskirt that makes it impossible to sit
    > down (Fran Fine comes to mind)...
    >
    > I wouldn't look at your dressing twice

    Of course, that's the whole point. I don't want to appear like "look
    at me*. hence the question.

    My dress is none of the above, but because it is not one color like
    shown here
    http://tinyurl.com/28h6jd (even this might appear a little too stylish
    with the skirt not looking traditional business style) that I became
    concerned the way I was. That and probably because the other one costs
    about more. I guess I was self-consciousness about moving away from
    traditonal colors of navy blue and black and traditonal business suit
    style. Just don't want to take a chance. May be I should consider
    getting the black one above especially since the jacket doesn't look
    too tailored in the waist.

    > -and trust me, I do enjoy
    > watching and pursuing the ladies *outside* work.

    I guess you misunderstood me. I just didn't want to appear as if I was
    acting like "watch me" by not sticking to one solid color and of
    black.

    amandaF, Oct 3, 2007
  10. On Oct 2, 6:27 pm, amandaF <> wrote:
    > Is it okay to wear any suit other than black or navy blue such as grey
    > w/ black trim for an interview for an IT position in Informatics
    > department [snip]

    As a guy I can not relate to all your problems with the suit :) And I
    have anyhow another cultural background. From where I come, showing up
    formally business dressed at an interview for a job, even for IT
    people, indicates to the interviewer that you take the thing serious,
    so it is the norm. Its only on the first or second working day when
    you start to blend in with the the great unwashed masses in IT
    (sneakers, T-shirt).

    It is also acceptable, particular for younger woman, to show up at an
    interview formally dressed but fashionable. Some color is ok, and
    showing a little bit "look at me, ain't I pretty?" is also a privilege
    of woman. If you are fresh, young, energetic there is nothing wrong
    showing this. The more experienced the woman is (I tried to avoid the
    word "older" :)), and the more higher up the job, the more formal
    business dressing is expected.

    YMMV

    But you didn't mention the most important thing for your interview
    dressing: Shoes. Make sure they not only look ok, but that you can
    even walk in them comfortably.

    Hunter Gratzner, Oct 3, 2007
  11. amandaF

    amandaF Guest

    On Oct 2, 10:54 pm, Hunter Gratzner <> wrote:
    > On Oct 2, 6:27 pm, amandaF <> wrote:
    >
    > > Is it okay to wear any suit other than black or navy blue such as grey
    > > w/ black trim for an interview for an IT position in Informatics
    > > department [snip]

    > As a guy I can not relate to all your problems with the suit :)

    This problem of started because after a friend said - this was about
    9-10 weeks ago - that people in IT are more causual and warned me how
    to communiciate in email. I was aware that one doesn't need to be too
    formal in emails but it helped me to hear that. So in my email
    communication with the recruiter that I initially met in person, I
    just addressed him with his first name. I would not have otherwise.

    Because I saw a job seeker without suit at the caeer event by this
    company (a major one and a household name), this dressing issue was in
    the back of my mind. I noticed that guy only because he was talking
    with someone at the same table where I was talking with someone else.
    Personally, if I were the recruiter, I would have preferred that he
    wore a jacket over his white shirt.

    > And I> have anyhow another cultural background. From where I come, showing up
    > formally business dressed at an interview for a job, even for IT
    > people, indicates to the interviewer that you take the thing serious,

    That, I agree. That's why I do want to wear a suit but which one was
    what I wondered. I don't mind wearing the same one I wore to the
    event, actually.

    > so it is the norm. Its only on the first or second working day when
    > you start to blend in with the the great unwashed masses in IT
    > (sneakers, T-shirt).

    Oh, I am not planning to dress up when at work. No way.

    > It is also acceptable, particular for younger woman, to show up at an
    > interview formally dressed but fashionable. Some color is ok, and
    > showing a little bit "look at me, ain't I pretty?" is also a privilege
    > of woman.

    Isn't it privilege only for positions that are not technical and
    interact with external people (of the company)? Even then, say, for a
    business analyst, I'd say looking good wouldn't do any good unless she
    knows what she is doing.

    > If you are fresh, young, energetic there is nothing wrong
    > showing this. The more experienced the woman is (I tried to avoid the
    > word "older" :)), and the more higher up the job, the more formal
    > business dressing is expected.

    Any work experience I have is from a different principle though my
    former education is an asset to the type of business this company is
    in. So, the position is not higher up. I guess it would be okay to
    wear the suit I got.

    I am keeping both the skirt and the jacket since I found a dressy
    blouse with that same skirt on a mannequin and can use for other
    occasions while jacket can be used with jeans of the dressy kind.

    > YMMV
    >
    > But you didn't mention the most important thing for your interview
    > dressing: Shoes. Make sure they not only look ok, but that you can
    > even walk in them comfortably.

    I didn't because I have a pair that does just that. I also bought a
    mid calf boot(bootie?) with grey fur trim that would go with the suit
    - I will use it if it rains that day, which can also use be used with
    a lot of other things.

    I really appreciate the para before your last para. I am not too young
    but I am not old either. Just that I don't look my age either.

    Thanks everyone.

    amandaF, Oct 3, 2007
  12. Re: A question on dressing (for female) for interview for an technicalposition in IT

    amandaF wrote:
    > This problem of started because after a friend said - this was about
    > 9-10 weeks ago - that people in IT are more causual and warned me how
    > to communiciate in email. I was aware that one doesn't need to be too
    > formal in emails but it helped me to hear that. So in my email
    > communication with the recruiter that I initially met in person, I
    > just addressed him with his first name. I would not have otherwise.
    >
    > Because I saw a job seeker without suit at the caeer event by this
    > company (a major one and a household name), this dressing issue was in
    > the back of my mind. I noticed that guy only because he was talking
    > with someone at the same table where I was talking with someone else.
    > Personally, if I were the recruiter, I would have preferred that he
    > wore a jacket over his white shirt.

    Look at it this way:

    you are in business, the interviewer is in business casual: he
    smiles and tell you that they are not very formal and no problems

    you are in business casual, the interviewer is in business: he
    looks at you without saying anything and the temperature in
    the rooms drops to zero

    Arne

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Oct 4, 2007
  13. amandaF

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 16:27:07 -0000, amandaF <>

    >Is it okay to wear any suit other than black or navy blue such as grey
    >w/ black trim for an interview for an IT position in Informatics
    >department like this one at
    >http://www.bebe.com/gp/product/B000QY6AFO/ref=pd_sim_2/103-6386986-9517438?ie=UTF8&bbBrand=core

    At first I though this was spam to sell clothes, but it appears you
    are genuine.

    I would say those particular clothes are a little too decorative. They
    say "I won't do any work, so you are hiring me for my looks."

    If you have a good figure, a crisp white blouse will show it off while
    still projecting a competent, business like manner.

    Expectations come from TV. Watch how the women dress in the various
    legal shows, e.g. Boston Legal.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary

    Roedy Green, Oct 4, 2007
  14. amandaF

    amandaF Guest

    On Oct 3, 7:03 pm, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 16:27:07 -0000, amandaF <>
    >
    > >Is it okay to wear any suit other than black or navy blue such as grey
    > >w/ black trim for an interview for an IT position in Informatics
    > >department like this one at
    > >http://www.bebe.com/gp/product/B000QY6AFO/ref=pd_sim_2/103-6386986-95...

    > At first I though this was spam to sell clothes, but it appears you
    > are genuine.
    >
    > I would say those particular clothes are a little too decorative.

    Well, mine doesn't have pleats in the front and so it's not as
    decorative as int he pic but, a BIG but, mine has pleats in the back
    (middle). May be that's makes it decorative. Well, I'll just play it
    safe and find something else.

    > They say "I won't do any work, so you are hiring me for my looks."

    That's what I was worried about. I don't even like shopping. It just
    so happened that I stopped by that store as I was passing by on my way
    to another store and they got me try that suit and the rest if
    history.

    > If you have a good figure, a crisp white blouse will show it off while
    > still projecting a competent, business like manner.

    I am fraid I will be cold in east coast in this season with that. I
    do need something like a jacket.

    > Expectations come from TV.

    I was in even more conservative environment before. I meant for the
    interview. For work, it was more casual than in IT because it in lab
    wearing white coat on top.

    > Watch how the women dress in the various legal shows, e.g. Boston Legal.

    Well, I'll check "Boston Legal" out. I used to like shows related to
    legal stuff.

    amandaF, Oct 4, 2007
  15. amandaF

    amandaF Guest

    On Oct 3, 6:39 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    > amandaF wrote:
    > > This problem of started because after a friend said - this was about
    > > 9-10 weeks ago - that people in IT are more causual and warned me how
    > > to communiciate in email. I was aware that one doesn't need to be too
    > > formal in emails but it helped me to hear that. So in my email
    > > communication with the recruiter that I initially met in person, I
    > > just addressed him with his first name. I would not have otherwise.

    > > Because I saw a job seeker without suit at the caeer event by this
    > > company (a major one and a household name), this dressing issue was in
    > > the back of my mind. I noticed that guy only because he was talking
    > > with someone at the same table where I was talking with someone else.
    > > Personally, if I were the recruiter, I would have preferred that he
    > > wore a jacket over his white shirt.

    > Look at it this way:
    >
    > you are in business, the interviewer is in business casual: he
    > smiles and tell you that they are not very formal and no problems
    >
    > you are in business casual, the interviewer is in business: he
    > looks at you without saying anything and the temperature in
    > the rooms drops to zero
    >
    > Arne

    POint taken. I did have intention to wear a suit.

    I'd not be having this problem (on which suit) if that store I used to
    shop didn't go out of business. Oh, well.

    amandaF, Oct 4, 2007
  16. Re: A question on dressing (for female) for interview for an technicalposition in IT

    amandaF wrote:
    > Is it okay to wear any suit other than black or navy blue such as grey
    > w/ black trim for an interview for an IT position in Informatics
    > department like this one at
    > http://www.bebe.com/gp/product/B000QY6AFO/ref=pd_sim_2/103-6386986-9517438?ie=UTF8&bbBrand=core

    > If you are in IT and an employer, recruiter, or interviewer, or know
    > about this issue, please give me your opinion.

    Many jobs require formal business contact with customers. I think of
    interview clothes as a demo of what I would wear if my manager told me
    to accompany the sales team on a customer visit, as technical expert.

    Your relative interest in working and dressing up, on the job, will be
    conveyed more by how you answer questions and by body language than by
    your choice of clothing, within reasonable limits.

    Patricia

    Patricia Shanahan, Oct 5, 2007
  17. amandaF

    amandaF Guest

    On Oct 4, 5:21 pm, Patricia Shanahan <> wrote:
    > amandaF wrote:
    > > Is it okay to wear any suit other than black or navy blue such as grey
    > > w/ black trim for an interview for an IT position in Informatics
    > > department like this one at
    > >http://www.bebe.com/gp/product/B000QY6AFO/ref=pd_sim_2/103-6386986-95...

    > > If you are in IT and an employer, recruiter, or interviewer, or know
    > > about this issue, please give me your opinion.

    > Many jobs require formal business contact with customers.

    My customewrs will be those peopel in white lab caoat since I said

    amandaF, Oct 5, 2007
  18. amandaF

    Lew Guest

    amandaF wrote:
    > My customewrs will be those peopel in white lab caoat since I said
    > "..... for an IT position in Informatics department" :)

    Which does not rule out the possibility that the job will require formal
    business contact with customers, nor does it invalidate dressing thus for the
    interview.

    For the interview always dress above the job.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Oct 5, 2007