A question on dressing (for female) for interview for an technical position in IT

amandaF

Is it okay to wear any suit other than black or navy blue such as grey
w/ black trim for an interview for an IT position in Informatics
department like this one at
http://www.bebe.com/gp/product/B000QY6AFO/ref=pd_sim_2/103-6386986-9517438?ie=UTF8&bbBrand=core

The one in pics shows grey w/ brown trim; mine is black bought at the
store. Also, I will be wearing a black turtleneck top underneath the
jacket and my hair won't be looking like a model. It'd be shoulder
length and straight. I definitely won't be twisting my body either:)

The reason I am asking is that the suit is very shapely tailored with
the pencil skirt - the pic doesn't show it well - showing the shape
of the body really well (I do have a really nice shape body but I
wouldn't want to be looking like I am showing off my body in a job
interview). BTW, the back of the jacket in the middle area around the
waist shows a few pleats that makes it really cute. (I wish the pic
hows the back.) All these tricks with leather trim and pleats are
ways to give room but when it looks too cute, it makes me wonder
whether I will be a little over dressed for a techincal position in
IT and looking like I am more interested in spending a lot of time in
dressing up.

I already wore my black suit that is a little simpler style to the
career event from thist company. I don't want to buy another black
one especially the store I used to go to 9petitie Sophisticate which
sells for great price) went out of business.

If you are in IT and an employer, recruiter, or interviewer, or know
about this issue, please give me your opinion.

GArlington

[...]

It depends on what basis you want to be received and maybe later
employed.
I have been to many interviews (I have been a freelance consultant /
software engineer for last 10 years and generally in IT for nearly 20)
and only wore a suit to the interview twice (during last 10 years).
Most of the time you would want to impress people in IT with your
knowledge, not with your dress. Though I do like that suit...
But, what would I know - I am a man after all.

Mark Rafn

amandaF said:
Is it okay to wear any suit other than black or navy blue such as grey
w/ black trim for an interview for an IT position in Informatics
department ....
The reason I am asking is that the suit is very shapely tailored with
the pencil skirt ....
All these tricks with leather trim and pleats are
ways to give room but when it looks too cute, it makes me wonder
whether I will be a little over dressed for a techincal position in ....
If you are in IT and an employer, recruiter, or interviewer, or know
about this issue, please give me your opinion.

I interview a fair number of people. For software developer and
technical positions, at least on the West Coast of the USA, a suit is
usually overdressed, but it's fairly common and doesn't interfere with the
job prospects. Wearing something you're comfortable in, and most people
will be comfortable around, so the clothes don't interfere with your
interactions during the interview is important, but it doesn't need
to specifically be a conservative navy suit.

This varies widely by region and company, though, so if you're really
worried, drop by the morning before and watch people entering the lobby, or
ask your prospective employer what the normal attire is, and wear something
half a notch above that.

In the majority of technical positions, as long as you're within a reasonable
range (and any suit for an interview is almost always in that range), how
you dress won't matter nearly as much as how well you fit the position and
how you connect and interact with your interviewer(s).

Good luck!

amandaF

It depends on what basis you want to be received and maybe later
employed.
I have been to many interviews (I have been a freelance consultant /
software engineer for last 10 years and generally in IT for nearly 20)
and only wore a suit to the interview twice (during last 10 years).
Most of the time you would want to impress people in IT with your
knowledge, not with your dress. Though I do like that suit...
But, what would I know - I am a man after all.

I wasn't trying to impress with the suit. Kind of liked that grew
color which I realized was not as shosn int he pic - the pic seems
more light gre with brown. I was quite reluctant and now am more
convinced that I should do everythign possible not to draw any
attention on my look because I already look above avergae and I need
to tone it down.

I don't mind wearing the same black suit again. It shouldn't be cold
inside the building anyway.

Thanks for the input.

amandaF

I interview a fair number of people. For software developer and
technical positions, at least on the West Coast of the USA, a suit is
usually overdressed,

Coming from Chemistry background - my previous trade, this information
is very useful. This company is a pharmaceutical company btw but
interview would be for IT position.
but it's fairly common and doesn't interfere with the
job prospects. Wearing something you're comfortable in, and most people
will be comfortable around, so the clothes don't interfere with your
interactions during the interview is important,

I was wondering whether I'd be taken to meet people from other
department, i.e chemists in research to see what they do and so I'd
better not wear that thing which would definetly draw attention
because it's just too stylish. I don't want eyes following me as I
passed people.
but it doesn't need to specifically be a conservative navy suit.

Good. I got rid of the idea to wear Navy blue when I left Chemical
industry. I do have a suit that is kind of burgundy color. I guess I
can use that if I have to meet the same person again first when I go
to the interview.
This varies widely by region and company, though, so if you're really
worried, drop by the morning before and watch people entering the lobby,

That's a good idea. I'd be flying to the east coast and so if I get a
chnace, I'd go by there and see people as they leave.
ask your prospective employer what the normal attire is, and wear something
half a notch above that.

I'll definitely do that.
In the majority of technical positions, as long as you're within a reasonable
range (and any suit for an interview is almost always in that range), how
you dress won't matter nearly as much as how well you fit the position and
how you connect and interact with your interviewer(s).

I understand that. I just wanted to avoid looking too stylish.
Good luck!

Thank you.

Tobi

I think it depends the most on the feel of the company, but I don't
think a suit in general is ever bad. If it is a very conservative/
traditional company, then the color *might* matter, but for the most
part, I think IT people tend to be fairly casual enough not to notice
something that specific.

If anything, I would 2nd the person that said make sure you feel
comfortable in what you are wearing. Tech interview are hard enough
without having to worry about what you are wearing.

Good luck!

Tobi

amandaF

I think it depends the most on the feel of the company, but I don't
think a suit in general is ever bad. If it is a very conservative/
traditional company, then the color *might* matter, but for the most
part, I think IT people tend to be fairly casual enough not to notice
something that specific.
Okay.

If anything, I would 2nd the person that said make sure you feel
comfortable in what you are wearing. Tech interview are hard enough
without having to worry about what you are wearing.

Good luck!
Thanks.

Tobi

I decided to put on the suit just now and check functionality better.
(I only tried it at the store yeterday; they gave me this ridiculous
high heel to try with it and so I was worrying about slipping than
anything else when they asked me to come out and gave their thumps up
review)

I walked from my dresser to this room and am typing wearing it with
*my shoe* and I can function just fine.

I doubt that I'd be wearing this for that interview but I do feel
better to realize that my suit is not exactly like that one shown in
the pic with pleats in the front. Aside from being darker grey, mine
doesn't have pleats in the front and have a normal appearance. Now, I
am only debating whether I should keep this suit or not. Where would I
use it, etc.?

Ramon F Herrera

If you are in IT and an employer, recruiter, or interviewer, or know
about this issue, please give me your opinion.

Amanda:

As long as you don't show up dressed like Reese Witherspoon in
"Legally Blonde", carrying a dog with a little pink hat...

As long as you are not dressed like a goth queen or Elvira...

As long as you don't have a bunch of visible tatoos and/or
piercings...

As long as you don't wear a miniskirt that makes it impossible to sit
down (Fran Fine comes to mind)...

I wouldn't look at your dressing twice -and trust me, I do enjoy
watching and pursuing the ladies *outside* work.

-Ramon

amandaF

Amanda:

As long as you don't show up dressed like Reese Witherspoon in
"Legally Blonde", carrying a dog with a little pink hat...

As long as you are not dressed like a goth queen or Elvira...

As long as you don't have a bunch of visible tatoos and/or
piercings...

As long as you don't wear a miniskirt that makes it impossible to sit
down (Fran Fine comes to mind)...

I wouldn't look at your dressing twice

Of course, that's the whole point. I don't want to appear like "look
at me*. hence the question.

My dress is none of the above, but because it is not one color like
shown here
http://tinyurl.com/28h6jd (even this might appear a little too stylish
with the skirt not looking traditional business style) that I became
concerned the way I was. That and probably because the other one costs
about more. I guess I was self-consciousness about moving away from
traditonal colors of navy blue and black and traditonal business suit
style. Just don't want to take a chance. May be I should consider
getting the black one above especially since the jacket doesn't look
too tailored in the waist.
-and trust me, I do enjoy
watching and pursuing the ladies *outside* work.

I guess you misunderstood me. I just didn't want to appear as if I was
acting like "watch me" by not sticking to one solid color and of
black.

Hunter Gratzner

Is it okay to wear any suit other than black or navy blue such as grey
w/ black trim for an interview for an IT position in Informatics
department [snip]

As a guy I can not relate to all your problems with the suit :) And I
have anyhow another cultural background. From where I come, showing up
formally business dressed at an interview for a job, even for IT
people, indicates to the interviewer that you take the thing serious,
so it is the norm. Its only on the first or second working day when
you start to blend in with the the great unwashed masses in IT
(sneakers, T-shirt).

It is also acceptable, particular for younger woman, to show up at an
interview formally dressed but fashionable. Some color is ok, and
showing a little bit "look at me, ain't I pretty?" is also a privilege
of woman. If you are fresh, young, energetic there is nothing wrong
showing this. The more experienced the woman is (I tried to avoid the
word "older" :)), and the more higher up the job, the more formal
business dressing is expected.

YMMV

But you didn't mention the most important thing for your interview
dressing: Shoes. Make sure they not only look ok, but that you can
even walk in them comfortably.

amandaF

Is it okay to wear any suit other than black or navy blue such as grey
w/ black trim for an interview for an IT position in Informatics
department [snip]

As a guy I can not relate to all your problems with the suit :)

This problem of started because after a friend said - this was about
9-10 weeks ago - that people in IT are more causual and warned me how
to communiciate in email. I was aware that one doesn't need to be too
formal in emails but it helped me to hear that. So in my email
communication with the recruiter that I initially met in person, I
just addressed him with his first name. I would not have otherwise.

Because I saw a job seeker without suit at the caeer event by this
company (a major one and a household name), this dressing issue was in
the back of my mind. I noticed that guy only because he was talking
with someone at the same table where I was talking with someone else.
Personally, if I were the recruiter, I would have preferred that he
wore a jacket over his white shirt.
And I> have anyhow another cultural background. From where I come, showing up
formally business dressed at an interview for a job, even for IT
people, indicates to the interviewer that you take the thing serious,

That, I agree. That's why I do want to wear a suit but which one was
what I wondered. I don't mind wearing the same one I wore to the
event, actually.
so it is the norm. Its only on the first or second working day when
you start to blend in with the the great unwashed masses in IT
(sneakers, T-shirt).
Oh, I am not planning to dress up when at work. No way.

It is also acceptable, particular for younger woman, to show up at an
interview formally dressed but fashionable. Some color is ok, and
showing a little bit "look at me, ain't I pretty?" is also a privilege
of woman.

Isn't it privilege only for positions that are not technical and
interact with external people (of the company)? Even then, say, for a
business analyst, I'd say looking good wouldn't do any good unless she
knows what she is doing.
If you are fresh, young, energetic there is nothing wrong
showing this. The more experienced the woman is (I tried to avoid the
word "older" :)), and the more higher up the job, the more formal
business dressing is expected.

Any work experience I have is from a different principle though my
former education is an asset to the type of business this company is
in. So, the position is not higher up. I guess it would be okay to
wear the suit I got.

I am keeping both the skirt and the jacket since I found a dressy
blouse with that same skirt on a mannequin and can use for other
occasions while jacket can be used with jeans of the dressy kind.
YMMV

But you didn't mention the most important thing for your interview
dressing: Shoes. Make sure they not only look ok, but that you can
even walk in them comfortably.

I didn't because I have a pair that does just that. I also bought a
mid calf boot(bootie?) with grey fur trim that would go with the suit
- I will use it if it rains that day, which can also use be used with
a lot of other things.

I really appreciate the para before your last para. I am not too young
but I am not old either. Just that I don't look my age either.

Thanks everyone.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

amandaF said:
This problem of started because after a friend said - this was about
9-10 weeks ago - that people in IT are more causual and warned me how
to communiciate in email. I was aware that one doesn't need to be too
formal in emails but it helped me to hear that. So in my email
communication with the recruiter that I initially met in person, I
just addressed him with his first name. I would not have otherwise.

Because I saw a job seeker without suit at the caeer event by this
company (a major one and a household name), this dressing issue was in
the back of my mind. I noticed that guy only because he was talking
with someone at the same table where I was talking with someone else.
Personally, if I were the recruiter, I would have preferred that he
wore a jacket over his white shirt.

Look at it this way:

you are in business, the interviewer is in business casual: he
smiles and tell you that they are not very formal and no problems

you are in business casual, the interviewer is in business: he
looks at you without saying anything and the temperature in
the rooms drops to zero

Arne

Roedy Green

Is it okay to wear any suit other than black or navy blue such as grey
w/ black trim for an interview for an IT position in Informatics
department like this one at
http://www.bebe.com/gp/product/B000QY6AFO/ref=pd_sim_2/103-6386986-9517438?ie=UTF8&bbBrand=core

At first I though this was spam to sell clothes, but it appears you
are genuine.

I would say those particular clothes are a little too decorative. They
say "I won't do any work, so you are hiring me for my looks."

If you have a good figure, a crisp white blouse will show it off while
still projecting a competent, business like manner.

Expectations come from TV. Watch how the women dress in the various
legal shows, e.g. Boston Legal.

amandaF

At first I though this was spam to sell clothes, but it appears you
are genuine.

I would say those particular clothes are a little too decorative.

Well, mine doesn't have pleats in the front and so it's not as
decorative as int he pic but, a BIG but, mine has pleats in the back
(middle). May be that's makes it decorative. Well, I'll just play it
safe and find something else.
They say "I won't do any work, so you are hiring me for my looks."

That's what I was worried about. I don't even like shopping. It just
so happened that I stopped by that store as I was passing by on my way
to another store and they got me try that suit and the rest if
history.
If you have a good figure, a crisp white blouse will show it off while
still projecting a competent, business like manner.
I am fraid I will be cold in east coast in this season with that. I
do need something like a jacket.
Expectations come from TV.

I was in even more conservative environment before. I meant for the
interview. For work, it was more casual than in IT because it in lab
wearing white coat on top.
Watch how the women dress in the various legal shows, e.g. Boston Legal.

Well, I'll check "Boston Legal" out. I used to like shows related to
legal stuff.

amandaF

Look at it this way:

you are in business, the interviewer is in business casual: he
smiles and tell you that they are not very formal and no problems

you are in business casual, the interviewer is in business: he
looks at you without saying anything and the temperature in
the rooms drops to zero

Arne

POint taken. I did have intention to wear a suit.

I'd not be having this problem (on which suit) if that store I used to
shop didn't go out of business. Oh, well.

Patricia Shanahan

amandaF said:
Is it okay to wear any suit other than black or navy blue such as grey
w/ black trim for an interview for an IT position in Informatics
department like this one at
http://www.bebe.com/gp/product/B000QY6AFO/ref=pd_sim_2/103-6386986-9517438?ie=UTF8&bbBrand=core ....
If you are in IT and an employer, recruiter, or interviewer, or know
about this issue, please give me your opinion.

Many jobs require formal business contact with customers. I think of
interview clothes as a demo of what I would wear if my manager told me
to accompany the sales team on a customer visit, as technical expert.

Your relative interest in working and dressing up, on the job, will be
conveyed more by how you answer questions and by body language than by
your choice of clothing, within reasonable limits.

Patricia

amandaF

Many jobs require formal business contact with customers.

My customewrs will be those peopel in white lab caoat since I said
"..... for an IT position in Informatics department" :)

Lew

My customewrs will be those peopel in white lab caoat since I said
"..... for an IT position in Informatics department" :)

Which does not rule out the possibility that the job will require formal
business contact with customers, nor does it invalidate dressing thus for the
interview.

For the interview always dress above the job.