    at the first sign of neglecting to fill the food
    dish for the cat population of this home."

    ~ Annie, aka "Old Iron-Claw" ~

    Lupine Predator, Sep 11, 2008

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Lupine Predator <0m>
    writing in news::

    > When linking from an html page, is it possible to code the link so
    > that rather than using the existing open tab, the link target opens in
    > either a new tab, (preferred), or in a new window (NOT preferred).
    > Thanks...

    No. Let the user decide if they want to open a link a new tab or window. I
    HATE it when a link opens in a new window/tab and there I am gesturing back
    and nothing happens, and then I look at the back button and see it is
    greyed out. I REALLY REALLY HATE THAT!!!

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Sep 11, 2008

  3. Lupine Predator <0m> writes:

    > When linking from an html page, is it possible to code the link so that
    > rather than using the existing open tab, the link target opens in either a
    > new tab, (preferred), or in a new window (NOT preferred). Thanks...

    First off, as a user, on the "things that annoy the hell out of me on
    the web" scale, opening up new tabs or windows ranks right below
    resizing my window to suit your preferences instead of mine. A site
    that disrespects its users in that way will only get my business if
    there is no possible altenative - and on today's web that's hardly
    ever the case.

    Having said that, it's not my problem if you want to annoy your
    users. So, if you want to do that, just use the target attribute in
    your link, like this:

    don't come back!</a>

    sherm--

    --
    My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com

    Sherm Pendley, Sep 11, 2008
  4. Lupine Predator

    freemont Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:20:37 -0400, Lupine Predator writ:

    > When linking from an html page, is it possible to code the link so that
    > rather than using the existing open tab, the link target opens in either a
    > new tab, (preferred), or in a new window (NOT preferred). Thanks...

    Results 1 - 10 of about 424,000 for html open link new tab. (0.23 seconds)

    <http://www.google.com>

    --
    I... drink... your... MILKSHAKE!

    I DRINK IT UP!!!

    freemont, Sep 11, 2008
  5. Travis Newbury, Sep 11, 2008
  6. On 2008-09-11, Lupine Predator wrote:
    > When linking from an html page, is it possible to code the link so that
    > rather than using the existing open tab, the link target opens in either a
    > new tab, (preferred), or in a new window (NOT preferred). Thanks...

    Any site that does that to me will be immediately blacklisted.
    Luckily for you, my browser is configured so that it never
    happens.

    Author:

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Sep 11, 2008
  7. On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 21:58:32 GMT, Adrienne Boswell <>
    wrote:

    >Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Lupine Predator <0m>
    >writing in news::
    >
    >> When linking from an html page, is it possible to code the link so
    >> that rather than using the existing open tab, the link target opens in
    >> either a new tab, (preferred), or in a new window (NOT preferred).
    >> Thanks...

    >No. Let the user decide if they want to open a link a new tab or window. I
    >HATE it when a link opens in a new window/tab and there I am gesturing back
    >and nothing happens, and then I look at the back button and see it is
    >greyed out. I REALLY REALLY HATE THAT!!!

    Maybe I wasn't being clear enough then.

    This is for a launchpad page that resides on my HD, and is used as my
    homepage. It is nothing but a list of links. *I* *WANT* this to happen.

    So... The user has decided that this is what he wants...

    TYVM...
    --
    L.P.

    My Blog - Updated on a (somewhat) regular basis:
    http://lupinepredator.wordpress.com/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My Website - Spirit of the Winds:
    http://spiritofthewinds.byethost22.com/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "This human's usenet privileges will be revoked

    Lupine Predator, Sep 12, 2008
  8. On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 18:10:00 -0400, Sherm Pendley <>
    wrote:

    >Lupine Predator <0m> writes:
    >
    >> When linking from an html page, is it possible to code the link so that
    >> rather than using the existing open tab, the link target opens in either a
    >> new tab, (preferred), or in a new window (NOT preferred). Thanks...

    >First off, as a user, on the "things that annoy the hell out of me on
    >the web" scale, opening up new tabs or windows ranks right below
    >resizing my window to suit your preferences instead of mine. A site
    >that disrespects its users in that way will only get my business if
    >there is no possible altenative - and on today's web that's hardly
    >ever the case.
    >
    >Having said that, it's not my problem if you want to annoy your
    >users. So, if you want to do that, just use the target attribute in
    >your link, like this:

    > don't come back!</a>
    >
    >sherm--

    Thanks, Sherm. This is for a launchpad kind of homepage that is only for
    my use, and I want the links to remain in a separate tab, while the link I
    clicked opens in a new tab.

    I appreciate the help - I thought that this was the case, but W3 Schools
    didn't give me much in terms of understandable explanations.

    Lupine Predator, Sep 12, 2008
  9. Lupine Predator wrote:

    > Thanks, Sherm. This is for a launchpad kind of homepage that is only for
    > my use, and I want the links to remain in a separate tab, while the link I
    > clicked opens in a new tab.

    Hold down the CTRL key and click!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 12, 2008
  10. On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 21:33:48 -0400, "Jonathan N. Little"
    <> wrote:

    >Lupine Predator wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks, Sherm. This is for a launchpad kind of homepage that is only for
    >> my use, and I want the links to remain in a separate tab, while the link I
    >> clicked opens in a new tab.

    >Hold down the CTRL key and click!

    Yeah, I know...

    I'm lazy... I want to click, and that's all... <G>

    Lupine Predator, Sep 12, 2008
  11. richard wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 22:52:49 +0000, "Chris F.A. Johnson"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-09-11, Lupine Predator wrote:
    >>> When linking from an html page, is it possible to code the link so that
    >>> rather than using the existing open tab, the link target opens in either a
    >>> new tab, (preferred), or in a new window (NOT preferred). Thanks...

    >> Any site that does that to me will be immediately blacklisted.
    >> Luckily for you, my browser is configured so that it never
    >> happens.

    > Either you don't do much with your browser or you have one hell of a
    > long blacklist.

    SeaMonkey: Edit > Preferences > Navigator > Tab Browsing > Link open
    behavior, Open links meant for a new window [x]The current tab/window

    "power to the people!"

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 12, 2008
  12. Lupine Predator wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 21:33:48 -0400, "Jonathan N. Little"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Lupine Predator wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks, Sherm. This is for a launchpad kind of homepage that is only for
    >>> my use, and I want the links to remain in a separate tab, while the link I
    >>> clicked opens in a new tab.

    >> Hold down the CTRL key and click!

    > Yeah, I know...
    >
    > I'm lazy... I want to click, and that's all... <G>

    Well set your links to open in a new windows with the TARGET attribute,
    forget validation, and set you browser preferences to force new windows
    to a new tab. Problem solved.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 12, 2008
  13. On 2008-09-12, richard wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 22:52:49 +0000, "Chris F.A. Johnson"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2008-09-11, Lupine Predator wrote:
    >>> When linking from an html page, is it possible to code the link so that
    >>> rather than using the existing open tab, the link target opens in either a
    >>> new tab, (preferred), or in a new window (NOT preferred). Thanks...

    >> Any site that does that to me will be immediately blacklisted.
    >> Luckily for you, my browser is configured so that it never
    >> happens.

    > Either you don't do much with your browser or you have one hell of a
    > long blacklist.

    No, because, as I said above, "my browser is configured so that it
    never happens."

    Author:

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Sep 12, 2008
  14. Lupine Predator

    Roy A. Guest

    On 12 Sep, 04:14, Lupine Predator <0m> wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 21:33:48 -0400, "Jonathan N. Little"
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >Lupine Predator wrote:

    > >> Thanks, Sherm.  This is for a launchpad kind of homepage that is only for
    > >> my use, and I want the links to remain in a separate tab, while the link I
    > >> clicked opens in a new tab.

    > >Hold down the CTRL key and click!

    > Yeah, I know...
    >
    > I'm lazy...  I want to click, and that's all...  <G>

    You could use target="_blank" on the links:

    go back.">read more</a>

    There should be a meta tag for this, but sadly, there isn't.

    If you have a template, you could replace the body tag with this:

    {a.target='_blank'}">

    It want work if the browser don't support javascript, or the user for
    some reason has disabled it. In that case, just inform the user in a
    nice way.

    <noscript>
    close the window to go back!</p>
    </noscript>

    Roy A., Sep 12, 2008
  15. Lupine Predator <0m> writes:

    > This is for a launchpad kind of homepage that is
    > only for my use

    Did you know, that was the original use of a "home" page? Back when
    browsers had names like Cello and Mosaic. The idea was that everyone
    would make his or her own start page of links.

    sherm--

    --
    My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com

    Sherm Pendley, Sep 12, 2008