A required privilege is not held by the client

Mark Olbert

Sigh. I had a working ASPNET application yesterday (using Framework 3.5, running on Server 2003). Today I have the dreaded "a
required privilege is not held by the client" error. This occurs whenever I try to debug the app within VS2008.

Here's what I did between yesterday and today:

1) Both the debug and the release version of my website use the same SqlServer 2005 server. I was using a trusted connection to
develop and debug the website.

2) When I deployed the release version to the server I ran into a sqlserver security problem because the ASPNET user doesn't have
access rights to the sqlserver database. I played around with user impersonation in the release Web.config file, which worked, but I
don't like having my primary user account credentials embedded in Web.config files (this site runs on an intranet).

3) I created a new sqlserver login, gave it read/write (but not dbo) rights to the database, and configured the release Web.config
file to use those login credentials. That worked fine.

4) Now the debug/development process fails with the required privilege error (I'm running Vista Ultimate as my development OS).

5) Removing the login I created in #3 doesn't solve the problem.

I don't know that the problem is related to what I did, but it's the only thing I can think of.

Suggestions?

- Mark

p.s. has anyone else noticed that the primary effect of the way Microsoft has tightened security across its products is to make life
miserable for developers? At the very least they need to upgrade their error messages so they might actually help point one to a
solution.

Mark Olbert

Okay, I'm posting the "solution" here to keep others from tearing their hair out.

I created the new login (#3 below) while I had the website open in VS2008. Exiting and restarting VS2008 appears to have solved the
problem.

- Mark