A rotating globe with javascript

avalence

Hello,
I am trying to create a nice rotating earth globe (on mouse) on my web
site, in order to display my professional relationships all over the
world. The best way seems to be a javascript. In fact I still hesitate
between java and javascript. My question is how can I create a
interacting globe using a satellite photo. This is a very usefull
applet for everybody. All suggestion welcome!
Thanks
Arnaud

jeckab612

(e-mail address removed) said the following on 5/27/2007 5:45 PM:

If you want the globe to be interactive, then Java (or Flash) is your
best bet. The trouble to pull that off in Javascript isn't worth the
effort. Especially since you want a rotating globe. With JS, you would
have to have an image of each rotation and then swap them out.

--
Randy
Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

I agree with Randy. Switch to Java (not to Flash), since Java has some
fine 3d functionality.

cwdjrxyz

Hello,
I am trying to create a nice rotating earth globe (on mouse) on my web
site, in order to display my professional relationships all over the
world. The best way seems to be a javascript. In fact I still hesitate
between java and javascript. My question is how can I create a
interacting globe using a satellite photo. This is a very usefull
applet for everybody. All suggestion welcome!
Thanks
Arnaud

There are many methods that could be used. The most easy may be to use
an animated gif of a rotating globe, and switch it on and off using
visibility. Some ready made rotating globes are available, or it would
not be difficult to make your own by setting up a camera on a tripod
in front of a globe and making exposures at a few positions of equal
rotation. Many of the image programs can make animated gifs from such
a set of photos.

I have an example of the principle at http://www.cwdjr.info/dhtml/rotateglobe.html
.. The image is loaded as hidden. I use an onload event to show the
image at about 4 seconds, and another to hide it in about 4 more
seconds. You likely could use many different types of events to turn
the image on and off when an event you desire occurs. Excuse the code.
I just threw a demo together from an existing page, and you likely
would not need absolute positioning, etc. for your purpose.