A Ruby IDE with GUI capabilities

JaredAngell

So far, as far as I can tell, there is no Ruby IDE with GUI
capabilities.

What I want to understand is: How can there be Gambas and yet Ruby
lacks a GUI interface?

I've been reading about Ruby and considering learning it and using it
exclusively but I'm not a command-line man and I don't want to have to
manually figure out all the GUI widgets and whatnot so I'm curious if
any one knows of any current project underway to make a new Ruby IDE
with GUI capabilities???

Chris Carter

So far, as far as I can tell, there is no Ruby IDE with GUI
capabilities.

What I want to understand is: How can there be Gambas and yet Ruby
lacks a GUI interface?

I've been reading about Ruby and considering learning it and using it
exclusively but I'm not a command-line man and I don't want to have to
manually figure out all the GUI widgets and whatnot so I'm curious if
any one knows of any current project underway to make a new Ruby IDE
with GUI capabilities???
Hi,
The main problem with the idea of an IDE with a GUI builder is that
there are a lot of GUI toolkits in ruby, and nobody agrees on which
one is best

Alex Young

I've been reading about Ruby and considering learning it and using it
exclusively but I'm not a command-line man and I don't want to have to
manually figure out all the GUI widgets and whatnot so I'm curious if
any one knows of any current project underway to make a new Ruby IDE
with GUI capabilities???
Does Glade do what you need?

Alex Fenton

Felipe said:
VisualWx, a WxWidget GUI builder with Ruby Support

Slightly OT, but you should be able to use most or all of the large number of free and commercial GUI designers for WxWidgets with wxRuby, because they and wxRuby support XRC, a common XML interface description language. See:

http://www.wxcommunity.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewsdownload&sid=4

AFAIK, VisualWx is the only one that supports ruby programming in the same environment.

I haven't tried these (still using emacs and a pencil), but other users have reported finding them productive.

Bear in mind that wxruby though pretty complete is not quite stable enough for production use.

Alex

David Roberts

So far, as far as I can tell, there is no Ruby IDE with GUI
capabilities.... so I'm curious if
any one knows of any current project underway to make a new Ruby IDE
with GUI capabilities???

It isn't an IDE, but for another choice of graphical tool that
can help to build a GUI for a ruby application, see foxGUIb at
http://fox-tool.rubyforge.org/

It has the advantage of being written in ruby and using the
same library that it targets, ie FXruby.

Incidentally, this thread roughly replicates the one titled
"Ruby GUI with IDE" dated mid-November 2006 - there may be
material of interest there too.

znmeb

Quoting David Roberts said:
It isn't an IDE, but for another choice of graphical tool that
can help to build a GUI for a ruby application, see foxGUIb at
http://fox-tool.rubyforge.org/

It has the advantage of being written in ruby and using the
same library that it targets, ie FXruby.

Incidentally, this thread roughly replicates the one titled
"Ruby GUI with IDE" dated mid-November 2006 - there may be
material of interest there too.
To further duplicate previous threads, there are two Ruby IDEs written using the
Fox toolkit -- FreeRide and Mondrian. FreeRide is at least stable enough to be a
part of the Windows One-Click Installer.

znmeb

Quoting Kevin Olemoh said:
What about Qt? I
know that KDevelop supports ruby and has a designer in it, but are
there any other projects out there that integrate Qtdesigner that
support ruby?
Well ... QTRuby/Korundum/Kommander do. Right now, that's all Qt-3, but stable as
all get out. And Linux only. There's no Open Source Qt-3 for Windows; all this
magic needs to work for QT-4 before you'll be able to get Windows
compatibility, and I have no clues whatsoever about Macs. My advice -- if
you're willing to limit yourself to Linux, it's a keeper. Otherwise, there are
probably better ways to go.

David Vallner

--------------enigD280B64245B89A32E1E074EF

What I want to understand is: How can there be Gambas and yet Ruby
lacks a GUI interface?
=20

I resent that comment and any moaning to garner attention to a problem.
Noone's forcing you to use Ruby for GUI development, if you find the
(apparent?) lack of an IDE problematic, use a language where it's
available. If you honestly want to find out if there is a solution you
missed, ask -that- and don't troll for the answer.

David Vallner

--------------enigD280B64245B89A32E1E074EF

--------------enigD280B64245B89A32E1E074EF--

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Well ... QTRuby/Korundum/Kommander do. Right now, that's all Qt-3, but stable as
all get out.
And well-documented, thanks to Caleb Tennis. :)
My advice -- if
you're willing to limit yourself to Linux, it's a keeper. Otherwise, there are
probably better ways to go.
There's one other thing I should mention. There are two ways to use Qt,
and they are mutually exclusive by the Trolltech license. So you pretty
much have to have your business and legal model defined up front -- if
you're going to start an open source project, you may not be able to
convert it to something else later, and vice versa.