A Rubyist's Dream

Benjamin Stiglitz

Hi, everyone. I had a dream last night that drove me to join the list
today.

A car whizzes up to the house, and before it even stops, Matz jumps out
and runs up to my door. I realize it's him, and as I do, he wishes me a
happy new year. Apparently he's greeting all the Rubyists! Then I
invite him in for a drink, and as I do...

...my alarm goes off.

Does this happen to all young Rubyists, or should I worry? <grin>

-Ben
(a.k.a stig)

why the lucky stiff

Benjamin said:
Hi, everyone. I had a dream last night that drove me to join the list
today.

A car whizzes up to the house, and before it even stops, Matz jumps out
and runs up to my door. I realize it's him, and as I do, he wishes me a
happy new year. Apparently he's greeting all the Rubyists! Then I
invite him in for a drink, and as I do...

That sounds about right, Ben. Early on, long ago, I had a dream that
Matz came over in his little painter's outfit and started to wallpaper
my house with lettuce. But I think my dream was influenced by the fact
that when I first met Matz he was holding salad tongs. I speak the
unimpeachable truth.

Just understand that Matz has powers beyond our realm. And he is able
to select his followers and drive vehicles within their thoughts.

Do you think it is any coincidence that Onigurama (Ruby's new Regexp
engine) translates as "ghost car"?

Welcome to the neither regions of coding.

_why

Benjamin Stiglitz

That sounds about right, Ben. Early on, long ago, I had a dream that
Matz came over in his little painter's outfit and started to wallpaper
my house with lettuce. But I think my dream was influenced by the fact
that when I first met Matz he was holding salad tongs. I speak the
unimpeachable truth.

Some how I expected a response like this from you, _why.
Do you think it is any coincidence that Onigurama (Ruby's new Regexp
engine) translates as "ghost car"?
Does this mean I get to brag to my coworkers that I dream about regular
expressions?

-Ben

Belorion

You know you're addicted to coding when ...
Does this mean I get to brag to my coworkers that I dream about regular
expressions?

-Ben

I found myself dreaming about Rails last night. To abstract to
describe, but it kept waking me up when my dream would hit a bug in
the Model/Controller interface. :p

Jeffrey Moss

I dream about server strings, whatever those are. You know you need a
vacation when you wake up in the middle of the night yelling "server
strings!"

-Jeff

From: "David Sletten said:
"Oni" means demon/fiend/ogre (Also the player who's "it" in a game of tag)
"Kuruma" means car. This becomes "guruma" in the compound "Oniguruma".

Since http://ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/36756
I've thought it was "Demon Wheel"...

I hope so, I really love that name ... :) I was writing
a regex engine at the time (with some banal working title
like ReflEx).

When I heard the name Demon Wheel, it instantly resonated
with me as so perfectly encompassing (to borrow a friend's
words out-of-context) the "madness and majesty, ghastliness
and indescribable beauty" of both the internals, and the
raw romantic power of an engine like that.

=D

Anyway . . .

Happy Rubying,

Bill

David Sletten

why said:
Would that I could swallow up all of my vowelish improprieties here
throughout the years.

Look, guys. I have insider information saying that it's "ghost car" and
that's what I like!

Lots and lots of love,

_why
I'll buy that. Another dictionary defines 'oni' as: devil, demon, ghost;
spirits of the dead; fiend; creditor; ...

On the other hand, 'kuruma' can also mean 'wheel'. So 'Demon Wheel' is
reasonable too...

David Sletten

Mark Hubbart

I found myself dreaming about Rails last night. To abstract to
describe, but it kept waking me up when my dream would hit a bug in
the Model/Controller interface. :p

I sometimes spend my mornings fixing bugs. An alarm rings, and I have
to fix the bug quick. I do this by quickly hitting a small button,
which only fixes the bug temporarily...

This has caused problems in the past.

cheers,
Mark