a scipy installation problem?

Discussion in 'Python' started by avik, Nov 21, 2003.

  1. avik

    avik Guest

    Hi. I need to use SciPy (a library of scientific tools for python) but
    I runned upon a problem after installing it. I downloaded the binaries
    from scipy.org and copied the contents of the archive in the
    /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/ (there I have a number of other
    modules and the "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages" is in the
    sys.path). What I use are: Python 2.2.1 on linux2 and
    SciPy-0.2.0_alpha_200.4161.linux2_py.tar.gz
    Then, this is what I get...

    >>> from scipy import *

    Segmentation fault (core dumped)

    Everything seems to be ok when I import a different module (for
    plotting) that comes together with scipy (simply, it is another folder
    isnide of the same folder /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/chaco):

    >>> from chaco import *

    This is probably something simple, but I just start to use python and
    have no experience in programming, so I can not figure out where the
    problem is.
    Does anyone know what's needed to do so as to make it working?
    Thanks in advance.
    Regards

    avik
    avik, Nov 21, 2003

  2. avik

    Robin Munn Guest

    avik <> wrote:
    > Hi. I need to use SciPy (a library of scientific tools for python) but
    > I runned upon a problem after installing it. I downloaded the binaries
    > from scipy.org and copied the contents of the archive in the
    > /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/ (there I have a number of other
    > modules and the "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages" is in the
    > sys.path). What I use are: Python 2.2.1 on linux2 and
    > SciPy-0.2.0_alpha_200.4161.linux2_py.tar.gz
    > Then, this is what I get...

    > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    >
    > Everything seems to be ok when I import a different module (for
    > plotting) that comes together with scipy (simply, it is another folder
    > isnide of the same folder /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/chaco):

    > This is probably something simple, but I just start to use python and
    > have no experience in programming, so I can not figure out where the
    > problem is.
    > Does anyone know what's needed to do so as to make it working?
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Regards

    What happens if you do "import scipy" instead of "from scipy import *"?

    "from ... import *" is _almost_ always a bad idea anyway, since it
    clutters up your namespace. It also causes issues with the reload()
    function. Avoid that usage unless you *really* know what you're doing.

    --
    Robin Munn
    Robin Munn, Nov 21, 2003

  3. avik

    avik Guest

    Robin Munn <> wrote in message
    > What happens if you do "import scipy" instead of "from scipy import *"?
    >
    > "from ... import *" is _almost_ always a bad idea anyway, since it
    > clutters up your namespace. It also causes issues with the reload()
    > function. Avoid that usage unless you *really* know what you're doing.

    Actually, up to now (during a short time, anyway) I have always used
    "import <module>" without having any special reason to avoid "from
    <module> import *" :).
    In the case of scipy I just tried out the first thing that's written
    in its short tutorial and

    the same is with that:

    >>> import scipy

    avik, Nov 21, 2003
  4. avik

    Robin Munn Guest

    avik <> wrote:
    > Robin Munn <> wrote in message
    >> What happens if you do "import scipy" instead of "from scipy import *"?
    >>
    >> "from ... import *" is _almost_ always a bad idea anyway, since it
    >> clutters up your namespace. It also causes issues with the reload()
    >> function. Avoid that usage unless you *really* know what you're doing.

    > Actually, up to now (during a short time, anyway) I have always used
    > "import <module>" without having any special reason to avoid "from
    ><module> import *" :).
    > In the case of scipy I just tried out the first thing that's written
    > in its short tutorial and
    >
    > the same is with that:

    > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    >
    > Regards

    OK, so "from ... import *" isn't the culprit.

    I see in your original post that you downloaded the binaries and copied
    them into your site-packages. It may be that the binaries you downloaded
    were linked against a library version you don't have. Try downloading a
    source archive and doing "python setup.py install" to install it. I'm
    guessing that will fix the segfault problem.

    --
    Robin Munn
    Robin Munn, Nov 22, 2003