a scipy installation problem?

avik

Hi. I need to use SciPy (a library of scientific tools for python) but
I runned upon a problem after installing it. I downloaded the binaries
from scipy.org and copied the contents of the archive in the
/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/ (there I have a number of other
modules and the "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages" is in the
sys.path). What I use are: Python 2.2.1 on linux2 and
SciPy-0.2.0_alpha_200.4161.linux2_py.tar.gz
Then, this is what I get...
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Everything seems to be ok when I import a different module (for
plotting) that comes together with scipy (simply, it is another folder
isnide of the same folder /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/chaco):

This is probably something simple, but I just start to use python and
have no experience in programming, so I can not figure out where the
problem is.
Does anyone know what's needed to do so as to make it working?
Thanks in advance.
Regards

avik

Robin Munn

avik said:
[...]

What happens if you do "import scipy" instead of "from scipy import *"?

"from ... import *" is _almost_ always a bad idea anyway, since it
clutters up your namespace. It also causes issues with the reload()
function. Avoid that usage unless you *really* know what you're doing.

avik

Robin Munn said:
What happens if you do "import scipy" instead of "from scipy import *"?

"from ... import *" is _almost_ always a bad idea anyway, since it
clutters up your namespace. It also causes issues with the reload()
function. Avoid that usage unless you *really* know what you're doing.

Actually, up to now (during a short time, anyway) I have always used
"import <module>" without having any special reason to avoid "from
<module> import *" :).
In the case of scipy I just tried out the first thing that's written
in its short tutorial and

the same is with that:

avik said:
Actually, up to now (during a short time, anyway) I have always used
"import <module>" without having any special reason to avoid "from
<module> import *" :).
In the case of scipy I just tried out the first thing that's written
in its short tutorial and

the same is with that:

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Regards

OK, so "from ... import *" isn't the culprit.

I see in your original post that you downloaded the binaries and copied
them into your site-packages. It may be that the binaries you downloaded
were linked against a library version you don't have. Try downloading a
source archive and doing "python setup.py install" to install it. I'm
guessing that will fix the segfault problem.