A service for testing Python code on multiple platforms and versions

Discussion in 'Python' started by David Moss, Sep 13, 2008.

  1. David Moss

    David Moss Guest

    Hopefully a service like this already exists and I just haven't found
    it yet. If not it could be an idea for some kind soul(s) to pick up
    and run with ;-)

    As someone who writes and releases Python modules for the community, I
    find it difficult to have a decent level of confidence in the efficacy
    of my code on platforms and Python versions other than those that I
    own or use regularly. My documentation states that I support Python
    2.3 or higher. This ends up being more of a statement of good
    intentions than a one of fact.

    A case in point. A bug (in Python), that I believed to have been
    killed off after Python 2.2, resurfaced in a 2.4.x release of Python
    on PowerPC recently. As I don't own any PowerPC kit, it was very
    difficult to a) investigate the bug and b) create an effective fix for
    it in a timely fashion. Fortunately I'd come across it before so the
    fix was easy but it might not have been.

    While I realise one's code can never be perfect, you can cover for
    these sorts of eventualities fairly easily by running your software
    and unit tests under different environments. You'd also like to be
    able to do this on a continual basis rather than just once or twice.
    If this was done with some kind of automated testing and reporting so
    much the better. Bigger projects that take code quality seriously
    probably already have this sort of thing in place for their own
    purposes, but for smaller ones it just isn't possible.

    Wouldn't it be great to have a service/setup out there available for
    Python developers to access that covered a fairly broad base of
    possible Python installations for the purpose of improve overall code
    quality? Am I the only one that would find something like this useful?

    Dave M.
    David Moss, Sep 13, 2008

  2. David Moss

    Stef Mientki Guest

    Re: A service for testing Python code on multiple platforms andversions

    David Moss wrote:
    > Hopefully a service like this already exists and I just haven't found
    > it yet. If not it could be an idea for some kind soul(s) to pick up
    > and run with ;-)
    >
    > As someone who writes and releases Python modules for the community, I
    > find it difficult to have a decent level of confidence in the efficacy
    > of my code on platforms and Python versions other than those that I
    > own or use regularly. My documentation states that I support Python
    > 2.3 or higher. This ends up being more of a statement of good
    > intentions than a one of fact.
    >
    > A case in point. A bug (in Python), that I believed to have been
    > killed off after Python 2.2, resurfaced in a 2.4.x release of Python
    > on PowerPC recently. As I don't own any PowerPC kit, it was very
    > difficult to a) investigate the bug and b) create an effective fix for
    > it in a timely fashion. Fortunately I'd come across it before so the
    > fix was easy but it might not have been.
    >
    > While I realise one's code can never be perfect, you can cover for
    > these sorts of eventualities fairly easily by running your software
    > and unit tests under different environments. You'd also like to be
    > able to do this on a continual basis rather than just once or twice.
    > If this was done with some kind of automated testing and reporting so
    > much the better. Bigger projects that take code quality seriously
    > probably already have this sort of thing in place for their own
    > purposes, but for smaller ones it just isn't possible.
    >
    > Wouldn't it be great to have a service/setup out there available for
    > Python developers to access that covered a fairly broad base of
    > possible Python installations for the purpose of improve overall code
    > quality? Am I the only one that would find something like this useful?

    I would love to have such a tool, but have no idea how to create
    something like that.
    Something like a multi-virtual machine on a web server, that you launch
    in the night,
    and in the morning you would get a full report of all problems on the
    specific OSs
    (probably someone is going to say that this is impossible, but
    fortunately I'm not hindered by any knowledge ;-)

    cheers,
    Stef

    Stef Mientki, Sep 13, 2008

  3. David Moss

    Guest

    Re: A service for testing Python code on multiple platforms andversions

    David> As someone who writes and releases Python modules for the community, I
    David> find it difficult to have a decent level of confidence in the efficacy
    David> of my code on platforms and Python versions other than those that I
    David> own or use regularly. My documentation states that I support Python
    David> 2.3 or higher. This ends up being more of a statement of good
    David> intentions than a one of fact.

    How about Buildbot? Here are some Python examples:

    http://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/

    And the Buildbot home page:

    http://buildbot.net/trac

    Skip
    , Sep 13, 2008
  4. David Moss

    Guest

    Re: A service for testing Python code on multiple platforms andversions

    Stef> Something like a multi-virtual machine on a web server, that you
    Stef> launch in the night, and in the morning you would get a full
    Stef> report of all problems on the specific OSs (probably someone is
    Stef> going to say that this is impossible, but fortunately I'm not
    Stef> hindered by any knowledge ;-)

    You could run Buildbot on a bunch of virtual machines on your computer
    (assuming your computer is x86 and its OS is supported by something like
    Sun's VirtualBox or VMWare's offerings).

    Skip
    , Sep 13, 2008