a simple page to copy and learn

PC

Can someone share a simple page using *strict* html and css (all types -
meaning an external s s, maybe a sample with some styles at the top, and
also some inline) that I can copy line for line and watch it build. I feel
I have learned so much from all the researching, studying, tutorial-ing, but
here at alt.html I feel I know so little and seem to have exhausted what I
can learn on my own. I could go out there and pick something out and build
it by looking at the source code, but feel quite certain when I came back
here and shared what I'd done I'd be pelted with garlic again! For
example...when I first started learning, I copied the first page I found on
my ISP's free webhosting. It was in the "A's" so I grabbed it. Here it is
(i hope it's ok to post someone else's link here...i have no idea who these
folks are): http://showcase.netins.net/web/aandjkennel/ Okay, so it uses
frames and a cute little doggy running back and forth...I thot it was cute.
I copied/pasted the code line for line and my copy minus any images looked
"pretty much" like theirs...the frames were a slightly different size which
I never figured out. It was a learning experience.

I'd like to do the same now to help me learn CSS if someone would point me
to a site that we could all agree was good, solid CSS (with no tables,
frames, or that other "evil" stuff), one that will surely validate without
my having to figure out what in the world I did wrong. I can't tell you how
many hours I've spent here, searching, scanning, studying, trying, retrying,
pouring more coffee, and doing it all over again until I look at the clock
and realize it's 2 a.m. and I have to be up at 6:30.

If this is asking too much, I'll just keep doing what I've been doing, which
I'm sure is a muttled up mess of too many different versions of everything I
can find. What's funny is, I know next to nothing about this stuff, but
when I presented what I wanted to do at a council meeting, everyone's eyes
glossed over when all I was trying to explain was that I needed a couple
programs because MSWord's "webpage" function isn't functional at all for
real web pages. And they call me their resident computer guru! Ha!

Thanks

Adrienne Boswell

[...]

I don't know if this will help, it's actually for styling forms with CSS,
but all the source is there for you to see:
http://www.intraproduct.com/beta/requiredform.asp

Oh, and the main site, intraproducts.com is all Strict with CSS.

Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen

PC said:
Can someone share a simple page using *strict* html and css (all types -
meaning an external s s, maybe a sample with some styles at the top, and
also some inline) that I can copy line for line and watch it build.

For what it's worth, you can copy all you want
from my site (see sig.) - not an exciting site
visually, but at least it validates.
For
example...when I first started learning, I copied the first page I found on
my ISP's free webhosting. It was in the "A's" so I grabbed it. Here it is
(i hope it's ok to post someone else's link here...i have no idea who these
folks are): http://showcase.netins.net/web/aandjkennel/ Okay, so it uses
frames and a cute little doggy running back and forth...I thot it was cute.

But you don't think that anymore, I hope? ;-)
I'd like to do the same now to help me learn CSS if someone would point me
to a site that we could all agree was good, solid CSS (with no tables,
frames, or that other "evil" stuff),

Tables are the right thing to use if you are going
to present tabular data.
More evil stuff can be found at
http://home.no.net/ingernet/links.php#How (some
items are for genealogists, but you can just
ignore those).

Sally Thompson

Can someone share a simple page using *strict* html and css (all types -
meaning an external s s, maybe a sample with some styles at the top, and
also some inline) that I can copy line for line and watch it build. I
I'd like to do the same now to help me learn CSS if someone would point me
to a site that we could all agree was good, solid CSS (with no tables,
frames, or that other "evil" stuff), one that will surely validate without
my having to figure out what in the world I did wrong. I can't tell you how
many hours I've spent here, searching, scanning, studying, trying, retrying,
pouring more coffee, and doing it all over again until I look at the clock
and realize it's 2 a.m. and I have to be up at 6:30.

It may be too elementary for you, but have you tried the W3Schools
online tutorials? < http://www.w3schools.com/>
You can try out various things online and see what changes instantly.
I found it very useful.