a simple page to copy and learn

Discussion in 'HTML' started by PC, Dec 4, 2004.

  1. PC

    PC Guest

    Can someone share a simple page using *strict* html and css (all types -
    meaning an external s s, maybe a sample with some styles at the top, and
    also some inline) that I can copy line for line and watch it build. I feel
    I have learned so much from all the researching, studying, tutorial-ing, but
    here at alt.html I feel I know so little and seem to have exhausted what I
    can learn on my own. I could go out there and pick something out and build
    it by looking at the source code, but feel quite certain when I came back
    here and shared what I'd done I'd be pelted with garlic again! For
    example...when I first started learning, I copied the first page I found on
    my ISP's free webhosting. It was in the "A's" so I grabbed it. Here it is
    (i hope it's ok to post someone else's link here...i have no idea who these
    folks are): http://showcase.netins.net/web/aandjkennel/ Okay, so it uses
    frames and a cute little doggy running back and forth...I thot it was cute.
    I copied/pasted the code line for line and my copy minus any images looked
    "pretty much" like theirs...the frames were a slightly different size which
    I never figured out. It was a learning experience.

    I'd like to do the same now to help me learn CSS if someone would point me
    to a site that we could all agree was good, solid CSS (with no tables,
    frames, or that other "evil" stuff), one that will surely validate without
    my having to figure out what in the world I did wrong. I can't tell you how
    many hours I've spent here, searching, scanning, studying, trying, retrying,
    pouring more coffee, and doing it all over again until I look at the clock
    and realize it's 2 a.m. and I have to be up at 6:30.

    If this is asking too much, I'll just keep doing what I've been doing, which
    I'm sure is a muttled up mess of too many different versions of everything I
    can find. What's funny is, I know next to nothing about this stuff, but
    when I presented what I wanted to do at a council meeting, everyone's eyes
    glossed over when all I was trying to explain was that I needed a couple
    programs because MSWord's "webpage" function isn't functional at all for
    real web pages. And they call me their resident computer guru! Ha!

    Thanks

    --
    PC
    PC, Dec 4, 2004

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "PC" <>
    writing in news:coraor$juh$:

    > Can someone share a simple page using *strict* html and css (all types
    > - meaning an external s s, maybe a sample with some styles at the top,
    > and also some inline) that I can copy line for line and watch it
    > build. I feel I have learned so much from all the researching,
    > studying, tutorial-ing, but here at alt.html I feel I know so little
    > and seem to have exhausted what I can learn on my own. I could go out
    > there and pick something out and build it by looking at the source
    > code, but feel quite certain when I came back here and shared what I'd
    > done I'd be pelted with garlic again! For example...when I first
    > started learning, I copied the first page I found on my ISP's free
    > webhosting. It was in the "A's" so I grabbed it. Here it is (i hope
    > it's ok to post someone else's link here...i have no idea who these
    > folks are): http://showcase.netins.net/web/aandjkennel/ Okay, so it
    > uses frames and a cute little doggy running back and forth...I thot it
    > was cute. I copied/pasted the code line for line and my copy minus any
    > images looked "pretty much" like theirs...the frames were a slightly
    > different size which I never figured out. It was a learning
    > experience.
    >
    > I'd like to do the same now to help me learn CSS if someone would
    > point me to a site that we could all agree was good, solid CSS (with
    > no tables, frames, or that other "evil" stuff), one that will surely
    > validate without my having to figure out what in the world I did
    > wrong. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent here, searching,
    > scanning, studying, trying, retrying, pouring more coffee, and doing
    > it all over again until I look at the clock and realize it's 2 a.m.
    > and I have to be up at 6:30.
    >
    > If this is asking too much, I'll just keep doing what I've been doing,
    > which I'm sure is a muttled up mess of too many different versions of
    > everything I can find. What's funny is, I know next to nothing about
    > this stuff, but when I presented what I wanted to do at a council
    > meeting, everyone's eyes glossed over when all I was trying to explain
    > was that I needed a couple programs because MSWord's "webpage"
    > function isn't functional at all for real web pages. And they call me
    > their resident computer guru! Ha!
    >
    > Thanks

    I don't know if this will help, it's actually for styling forms with CSS,
    but all the source is there for you to see:
    http://www.intraproduct.com/beta/requiredform.asp

    Oh, and the main site, intraproducts.com is all Strict with CSS.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    Please respond to the Group so others can share
    Adrienne Boswell, Dec 4, 2004

  3. PC

    PC Guest

    "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message

    > I don't know if this will help, it's actually for styling forms with CSS,
    > but all the source is there for you to see:
    > http://www.intraproduct.com/beta/requiredform.asp

    Oops! "Cannot find server or DNS Error" For some reason this link is dead
    to me.

    --
    PC
    PC, Dec 4, 2004
  4. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "PC" <>
    writing in news:coriqa$otr$:

    > "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> I don't know if this will help, it's actually for styling forms with
    >> CSS, but all the source is there for you to see:
    >> http://www.intraproduct.com/beta/requiredform.asp
    >>

    > Oops! "Cannot find server or DNS Error" For some reason this link is
    > dead to me.
    >
    > --
    > PC

    Yikes! http://www.intraproducts.com/beta/requiredform.asp (more than
    one product)

    Adrienne Boswell, Dec 4, 2004
  5. PC wrote:

    > Can someone share a simple page using *strict* html and css (all types -
    > meaning an external s s, maybe a sample with some styles at the top, and
    > also some inline) that I can copy line for line and watch it build.

    For what it's worth, you can copy all you want
    from my site (see sig.) - not an exciting site
    visually, but at least it validates.

    > For
    > example...when I first started learning, I copied the first page I found on
    > my ISP's free webhosting. It was in the "A's" so I grabbed it. Here it is
    > (i hope it's ok to post someone else's link here...i have no idea who these
    > folks are): http://showcase.netins.net/web/aandjkennel/ Okay, so it uses
    > frames and a cute little doggy running back and forth...I thot it was cute.

    But you don't think that anymore, I hope? ;-)

    > I'd like to do the same now to help me learn CSS if someone would point me
    > to a site that we could all agree was good, solid CSS (with no tables,
    > frames, or that other "evil" stuff),

    Tables are the right thing to use if you are going
    to present tabular data.
    More evil stuff can be found at
    http://home.no.net/ingernet/links.php#How (some
    items are for genealogists, but you can just
    ignore those).

    --
    Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen
    http://home.no.net/ingernet/
    Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen, Dec 4, 2004
  6. On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 21:24:24 -0600, "PC" <> wrote:

    >Can someone share a simple page using *strict* html and css (all types -
    >meaning an external s s, maybe a sample with some styles at the top, and
    >also some inline) that I can copy line for line and watch it build. I

    <snip>

    >I'd like to do the same now to help me learn CSS if someone would point me
    >to a site that we could all agree was good, solid CSS (with no tables,
    >frames, or that other "evil" stuff), one that will surely validate without
    >my having to figure out what in the world I did wrong. I can't tell you how
    >many hours I've spent here, searching, scanning, studying, trying, retrying,
    >pouring more coffee, and doing it all over again until I look at the clock
    >and realize it's 2 a.m. and I have to be up at 6:30.

    It may be too elementary for you, but have you tried the W3Schools
    online tutorials? < http://www.w3schools.com/>
    You can try out various things online and see what changes instantly.
    I found it very useful.

    --
    Sally in Shropshire, UK
    Reply To address is spam trap