A slick trick applied

Discussion in 'HTML' started by richard, May 22, 2012.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    http://1littleworld.net/

    Lots and lots of data with a small footprint.
    I try to apply the kiss rule as often as possible.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

    Beau, do note the little icon at the bottom of the page.

    To begin with, note the URL address bar when ever you click on a link.
    It never changes does it?
    This is done by calling in another page and placing it into a division on
    the main page, so that now the content of the main page has changed.

    Click on the green button marked "ABC" under "Songs".
    Still on the same page aren't we?

    Note the three seperate tables.
    Each table is its own seperate page.
    This is accomplished by using a little used tag in html.
    The object tag.

    With the object tag, you automatically get scroll bars.
    So there is no need to style as you would normally.

    Now for a real slick trick.
    Click on an image. The lightbox script takes over.
    Notice how the overlay did not effect the entire page?
    The overlay only happens on the page that image is on.

    <begin bashing>
    richard, May 22, 2012

  2. richard

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 22 May 2012 22:22:54 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 May 2012 18:14:50 -0400, richard <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>http://1littleworld.net/
    >>
    >>Lots and lots of data with a small footprint.
    >>I try to apply the kiss rule as often as possible.
    >>Keep it simple, stupid.
    >>
    >>Beau, do note the little icon at the bottom of the page.
    >>
    >>To begin with, note the URL address bar when ever you click on a link.
    >>It never changes does it?
    >>This is done by calling in another page and placing it into a division on
    >>the main page, so that now the content of the main page has changed.

    > It's called an iframe.
    >
    > Nothing new.

    heh. Little ye know shows.
    There is a difference between a real iframe and using script to do it.
    Where do you see an iframe tag on the page? nowhere.
    As iframes are not allowed in strict, this method is.
    Although I use transitional here.
    richard, May 23, 2012

  3. richard

    Erwin Moller Guest

    On 5/23/2012 12:14 AM, richard wrote:
    > http://1littleworld.net/
    >
    > Lots and lots of data with a small footprint.
    > I try to apply the kiss rule as often as possible.
    > Keep it simple, stupid.
    >
    > Beau, do note the little icon at the bottom of the page.
    >
    > To begin with, note the URL address bar when ever you click on a link.
    > It never changes does it?
    > This is done by calling in another page and placing it into a division on
    > the main page, so that now the content of the main page has changed.
    >
    > Click on the green button marked "ABC" under "Songs".
    > Still on the same page aren't we?
    >
    > Note the three seperate tables.
    > Each table is its own seperate page.
    > This is accomplished by using a little used tag in html.
    > The object tag.
    >
    > With the object tag, you automatically get scroll bars.
    > So there is no need to style as you would normally.
    >
    > Now for a real slick trick.
    > Click on an image. The lightbox script takes over.
    > Notice how the overlay did not effect the entire page?
    > The overlay only happens on the page that image is on.
    >
    > <begin bashing>

    Hi,

    First: congrats on passing the w3c validator check.
    both:
    http://1littleworld.net
    and
    http://1littleworld.net/Asongs.html
    passed.

    But there is more. A few remarks:
    - I see 2 scrollbars, one in the left (alphabetic list), and one in the
    mainpart (the jukebox) after I load the mainpage. That is plain ugly in
    my humble opinion.
    I understand scollbars have their use if you have long listings, but the
    2 scrollbars I see after loading your page don't have any use.
    (I am looking with FF 12.0)

    - The buttons don't do anything with Javascript disabled: maybe that is
    intentional, but it would be nice of you to tell your visitors about it.
    When I enable Javascript, I can only click once on a listing in the left
    menu, as long as it is ABC, but judging by your code, that is
    intentional because you didn't code anything for the other buttons yet.

    - Last remark: You have now:

    Why not simply leave the anchor tag out, like this:

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller

    --
    "That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without
    evidence."
    Erwin Moller, May 23, 2012
  4. richard wrote:

    > There is a difference between a real iframe and using script to do it.

    Yes, as distasteful as iframe can be, at least they work when JavaScript
    is disabled.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, May 23, 2012
  5. richard

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <>,
    richard <> wrote:

    > http://1littleworld.net/

    How about putting a proper date in the date field.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, May 27, 2012
  6. richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Tim Streater <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > richard <> wrote:
    >
    > > http://1littleworld.net/

    > How about putting a proper date in the date field.

    Quite. Just look at SSgt Barry Sadler, how off the planet is he in the
    *23rd month*?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 27, 2012