A slick trick applied

richard

http://1littleworld.net/

Lots and lots of data with a small footprint.
I try to apply the kiss rule as often as possible.
Keep it simple, stupid.

Beau, do note the little icon at the bottom of the page.

To begin with, note the URL address bar when ever you click on a link.
It never changes does it?
This is done by calling in another page and placing it into a division on
the main page, so that now the content of the main page has changed.

Click on the green button marked "ABC" under "Songs".
Still on the same page aren't we?

Note the three seperate tables.
Each table is its own seperate page.
This is accomplished by using a little used tag in html.
The object tag.

With the object tag, you automatically get scroll bars.
So there is no need to style as you would normally.

Now for a real slick trick.
Click on an image. The lightbox script takes over.
Notice how the overlay did not effect the entire page?
The overlay only happens on the page that image is on.

<begin bashing>

richard

It's called an iframe.

Nothing new.

heh. Little ye know shows.
There is a difference between a real iframe and using script to do it.
Where do you see an iframe tag on the page? nowhere.
As iframes are not allowed in strict, this method is.
Although I use transitional here.

Erwin Moller

[...]

Hi,

First: congrats on passing the w3c validator check.
both:
http://1littleworld.net
and
http://1littleworld.net/Asongs.html
passed.

But there is more. A few remarks:
- I see 2 scrollbars, one in the left (alphabetic list), and one in the
mainpart (the jukebox) after I load the mainpage. That is plain ugly in
my humble opinion.
I understand scollbars have their use if you have long listings, but the
2 scrollbars I see after loading your page don't have any use.
(I am looking with FF 12.0)

- The buttons don't do anything with Javascript disabled: maybe that is
intentional, but it would be nice of you to tell your visitors about it.
When I enable Javascript, I can only click once on a listing in the left
menu, as long as it is ABC, but judging by your code, that is
intentional because you didn't code anything for the other buttons yet.

- Last remark: You have now:

Why not simply leave the anchor tag out, like this:

Regards,
Erwin Moller

Jonathan N. Little

richard said:
There is a difference between a real iframe and using script to do it.

Yes, as distasteful as iframe can be, at least they work when JavaScript
is disabled.

dorayme

Tim Streater said:
How about putting a proper date in the date field.

Quite. Just look at SSgt Barry Sadler, how off the planet is he in the
*23rd month*?