A Straightforward comparison of ASP.net and PHP (ASP.net wins!)

news.microsoft.com

PHP versus Microsoft ASP.net - A Straightforward Comparison

"I do ask that you read this article with an open mind, and consider that it is quite possible that PHP is no better or worse than ASP.net. I have become weary of the whole PHP is superior to ASP.net debate. I believe after reading you may find that ASP.net has a lot to offer you as a developer, maybe more so than PHP.

We as business persons evaluate technology based on its merits, not on what software vendors claim. We look at the nuts and bolts of the technology and what it can and can't do. This article should not be construed as PHP bashing, it is far from that. What it does is debunk several PHP myths and shows that ASP.net can do what PHP does and then some. If PHP could do what we needed, we would of course use it. However ASP.net does what we need and therefore we use it."

Be sure to read the entire post. It's good.

http://www.technoblogo.com/2007/07/17/PHP+Versus+Microsoft+ASPnet++A+Straightforward+Comparison.aspx

Allen

Geary

This type of "this tool is to better than that tool" bs makes about as
much sense as "this browser is better than that browser" or "this
language is superior to that language". What a waste of time. Who
really cares. Who is going to change their personal preference based a
some writer's opinion. Learn to use your preferred technology really
well and you will probably more than offset any advantage one has over
the other.

Alan Silver

news.microsoft.com said:
"I do ask that you read this article with an open mind, and consider
that it is quite possible that PHP is no better or worse than ASP.net.
I have become weary of the whole PHP is superior to ASP.net debate. I
believe after reading you may find that ASP.net has a lot to offer you
as a developer, maybe more so than PHP.

You're asking us to read with an open mind an article that was fairly
obviously not written with an open mind!

The tone is set pretty much at the start. The authors asked developers
which they prefer (which is itself a very subjective and non-technical
question), and then proceeded to defend ASP.NET against any benefits
claimed for PHP. Hardly an open-minded approach!

The point about support is totally wrong as well. The fact that ASP.NET
is produced by a large commercial company does not mean you get better
support (unless you are prepared to pay MS loads for it, but then I bet
there are people who would do personal PHP support for the same amount).
IME, most support for developers comes from newsgroups like this. I'm
certain that PHP has its newsgroups as well. The claim that this issue
scored one for ASP.NET and zero for PHP is completely inaccurate. Other
issues discussed there were treated similarly badly.

I did read it with an open mind. I have never used PHP, so have no
feelings on it one way or the other, and was genuinely interested to see
a comparison. I didn't get that at all. All I got were some poor
arguments for why ASP.NET is better.

Shame, I thought these childish "my technology is better than your
technology" arguments had died a death years ago. I was amused by the
poster's words...

"I have become weary of the whole PHP is superior to ASP.net debate"

....when he/she is promoting exactly that debate! If you are weary of it,
as most of us are, then drop it and get on with something useful.