    Be sure to read the entire post. It's good.

    http://www.technoblogo.com/2007/07/17/PHP Versus Microsoft ASPnet A Straightforward Comparison.aspx

    Allen

    news.microsoft.com, Jul 18, 2007

  2. news.microsoft.com

    Geary Guest

    This type of "this tool is to better than that tool" bs makes about as
    much sense as "this browser is better than that browser" or "this
    language is superior to that language". What a waste of time. Who
    really cares. Who is going to change their personal preference based a
    some writer's opinion. Learn to use your preferred technology really
    well and you will probably more than offset any advantage one has over
    the other.

    Geary, Jul 18, 2007

  3. news.microsoft.com

    Alan Silver Guest

    In article <>, news.microsoft.com
    <allen@_.mvp.invalid> writes
    >"I do ask that you read this article with an open mind, and consider
    >that it is quite possible that PHP is no better or worse than ASP.net.
    >I have become weary of the whole PHP is superior to ASP.net debate. I
    >believe after reading you may find that ASP.net has a lot to offer you
    >as a developer, maybe more so than PHP.

    You're asking us to read with an open mind an article that was fairly
    obviously not written with an open mind!

    The tone is set pretty much at the start. The authors asked developers
    which they prefer (which is itself a very subjective and non-technical
    question), and then proceeded to defend ASP.NET against any benefits
    claimed for PHP. Hardly an open-minded approach!

    The point about support is totally wrong as well. The fact that ASP.NET
    is produced by a large commercial company does not mean you get better
    support (unless you are prepared to pay MS loads for it, but then I bet
    there are people who would do personal PHP support for the same amount).
    IME, most support for developers comes from newsgroups like this. I'm
    certain that PHP has its newsgroups as well. The claim that this issue
    scored one for ASP.NET and zero for PHP is completely inaccurate. Other
    issues discussed there were treated similarly badly.

    I did read it with an open mind. I have never used PHP, so have no
    feelings on it one way or the other, and was genuinely interested to see
    a comparison. I didn't get that at all. All I got were some poor
    arguments for why ASP.NET is better.

    Shame, I thought these childish "my technology is better than your
    technology" arguments had died a death years ago. I was amused by the
    poster's words...

    "I have become weary of the whole PHP is superior to ASP.net debate"

    ....when he/she is promoting exactly that debate! If you are weary of it,
    as most of us are, then drop it and get on with something useful.

    --
    Alan Silver

    Alan Silver, Jul 22, 2007