    can I make it go away?

    Thanks for any help, and sorry for the dumb question!
    , Dec 29, 2006

  2. Robert Kern Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello all. Let me say first that I have no idea what python is or what
    > it does.
    >
    > I bought a floor model computer, and it came with all sorts of
    > ridiculousness on it that I promptly uninstalled. However, now whenever
    > I start windows I get a message saying "LoadLibrary (pythondll
    > ) failed." It also says this when I try to download into a bittorrent
    > client, and it keeps it from downloading. What does this mean, and how
    > can I make it go away?

    http://effbot.org/pyfaq/installed-why-is-python-installed-on-my-machine.htm

    However, none of us know who built your system or any specifics as to what they
    installed Python for. You should ask them, instead.

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco
    Robert Kern, Dec 29, 2006

  3. At Friday 29/12/2006 00:27, wrote:

    >I bought a floor model computer, and it came with all sorts of
    >ridiculousness on it that I promptly uninstalled. However, now whenever
    >I start windows I get a message saying "LoadLibrary (pythondll
    >) failed." It also says this when I try to download into a bittorrent
    >client, and it keeps it from downloading. What does this mean, and how
    >can I make it go away?

    Please copy the *exact* message that you see.
    python24.dll (or 23, or 25) is a shared component, installed on the
    system directory. If you delete it, you break all applications
    depending on it, like the bittorrent client.

    --
    Gabriel Genellina
    Softlab SRL

    Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
    está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
    ¡Probalo ya!
    http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas
    Gabriel Genellina, Dec 29, 2006

    It says exactly:

    The specified module could not be found.
    LoadLibrary(pythondll) failed

    Don't know if that helps at all.

    wrote:
    > It says exactly:
    >
    > The specified module could not be found.
    > LoadLibrary(pythondll) failed

    > > >I bought a floor model computer, and it came with all sorts of
    > > >ridiculousness on it that I promptly uninstalled. However, now whenever
    > > >I start windows I get a message saying "LoadLibrary (pythondll
    > > >) failed." It also says this when I try to download into a bittorrent
    > > >client, and it keeps it from downloading. What does this mean, and how
    > > >can I make it go away?

    Python is a programming language used to develop (some of) the
    bittorrent clients. You were a little exuberant in uninstalling
    applications and removed the Python files that are required for the
    bittorrent client.

    You could try downloading and installing Python, but I don't know which
    version you'll need.

    You could try uninstalling the bittorrent client and reinstalling a
    client with all its required dependencies.

    HTH,

    casevh
    , Dec 29, 2006
  6. At Friday 29/12/2006 01:05, wrote:

    >The specified module could not be found.
    >LoadLibrary(pythondll) failed

    For the bittorrent client, reinstalling it should be enough.
    For other issues on your system, best to contact your vendor.

    Gabriel Genellina, Dec 29, 2006
  7. Tom Plunket Guest

    luxnoctis wrote:

    > It says exactly:
    >
    > The specified module could not be found.
    > LoadLibrary(pythondll) failed
    >
    > Don't know if that helps at all.

    There's something installed on Compaq computers that uses the Python
    stuff too, but I never figured out what it was. I figured it may have
    been some of the preloaded games, 'cause when I restored a roommate's
    machine from the restore image the Python22 folder was among the things
    that appeared on the fresh machine. It was actually pretty exciting for
    me since I needed to write a little utility to do something on this
    machine, but it was slow as death and only had dialup and I really
    didn't want to deal with downloading and installing that stuff myself.

    ....of course your first problem is buying a machine with a ton of
    shovelware on it. Second problem is uninstalling stuff without knowing
    what it's for.

    -tom!

    Tom Plunket, Dec 29, 2006

    I knew what everything was for when I uninstalled it, I just didn't
    happen to know about every component part, apparently. ;) I have tried
    reinstalling the Bittorrent client, and to no avail. (The computer is a
    Toshiba Satellite laptop, if that helps anyone.) Any other ideas?

    Tom Plunket wrote:
    > luxnoctis wrote:
    >
    > > It says exactly:
    > >
    > > The specified module could not be found.
    > > LoadLibrary(pythondll) failed
    > >
    > > Don't know if that helps at all.

    > There's something installed on Compaq computers that uses the Python
    > stuff too, but I never figured out what it was. I figured it may have
    > been some of the preloaded games, 'cause when I restored a roommate's
    > machine from the restore image the Python22 folder was among the things
    > that appeared on the fresh machine. It was actually pretty exciting for
    > me since I needed to write a little utility to do something on this
    > machine, but it was slow as death and only had dialup and I really
    > didn't want to deal with downloading and installing that stuff myself.
    >
    > ...of course your first problem is buying a machine with a ton of
    > shovelware on it. Second problem is uninstalling stuff without knowing
    > what it's for.
    >

    > -tom!
    >
    > --
    , Dec 29, 2006
  9. Matimus Guest

    wrote:
    > Any other ideas?

    Well, you could always try downloading and installing python:
    http://www.python.org. It is completely free. It won't run anything in
    the task bar or add itself to the startup menu and it doesn't have
    ads... it just sits there waiting for you to use it. I would start with
    version 2.4, and if that doesn't work I would go to 2.3 then 2.5 then
    2.2. Uninstall the last version before moving on to another.

    I do worry a little though because python dlls are named as
    Python<version>.dll, so the dll in that error message could actually be
    from some third party.

    Anyway, there is no harm in installing Python. If it doesn't work it
    will uninstall cleanly.

    -Matt
    Matimus, Dec 29, 2006