A stupid question

luxnoctis

Hello all. Let me say first that I have no idea what python is or what
it does.

I bought a floor model computer, and it came with all sorts of
ridiculousness on it that I promptly uninstalled. However, now whenever
I start windows I get a message saying "LoadLibrary (pythondll
) failed." It also says this when I try to download into a bittorrent
client, and it keeps it from downloading. What does this mean, and how
can I make it go away?

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the dumb question!

Robert Kern

Hello all. Let me say first that I have no idea what python is or what
it does.

I bought a floor model computer, and it came with all sorts of
ridiculousness on it that I promptly uninstalled. However, now whenever
I start windows I get a message saying "LoadLibrary (pythondll
) failed." It also says this when I try to download into a bittorrent
client, and it keeps it from downloading. What does this mean, and how
can I make it go away?

http://effbot.org/pyfaq/installed-why-is-python-installed-on-my-machine.htm

However, none of us know who built your system or any specifics as to what they
installed Python for. You should ask them, instead.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

Gabriel Genellina

At said:
I bought a floor model computer, and it came with all sorts of
ridiculousness on it that I promptly uninstalled. However, now whenever
I start windows I get a message saying "LoadLibrary (pythondll
) failed." It also says this when I try to download into a bittorrent
client, and it keeps it from downloading. What does this mean, and how
can I make it go away?

Please copy the *exact* message that you see.
python24.dll (or 23, or 25) is a shared component, installed on the
system directory. If you delete it, you break all applications
depending on it, like the bittorrent client.

--
Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
¡Probalo ya!
http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

luxnoctis

It says exactly:

The specified module could not be found.
LoadLibrary(pythondll) failed

Don't know if that helps at all.

casevh

It says exactly:

The specified module could not be found.
LoadLibrary(pythondll) failed

Python is a programming language used to develop (some of) the
bittorrent clients. You were a little exuberant in uninstalling
applications and removed the Python files that are required for the
bittorrent client.

You could try downloading and installing Python, but I don't know which
version you'll need.

You could try uninstalling the bittorrent client and reinstalling a
client with all its required dependencies.

HTH,

casevh

Gabriel Genellina

At said:
The specified module could not be found.
LoadLibrary(pythondll) failed

For the bittorrent client, reinstalling it should be enough.
For other issues on your system, best to contact your vendor.

--
Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
¡Probalo ya!
http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

Tom Plunket

luxnoctis said:
It says exactly:

The specified module could not be found.
LoadLibrary(pythondll) failed

Don't know if that helps at all.

There's something installed on Compaq computers that uses the Python
stuff too, but I never figured out what it was. I figured it may have
been some of the preloaded games, 'cause when I restored a roommate's
machine from the restore image the Python22 folder was among the things
that appeared on the fresh machine. It was actually pretty exciting for
me since I needed to write a little utility to do something on this
machine, but it was slow as death and only had dialup and I really
didn't want to deal with downloading and installing that stuff myself.

....of course your first problem is buying a machine with a ton of
shovelware on it. Second problem is uninstalling stuff without knowing
what it's for.

-tom!

luxnoctis

I knew what everything was for when I uninstalled it, I just didn't
happen to know about every component part, apparently. ;) I have tried
reinstalling the Bittorrent client, and to no avail. (The computer is a
Toshiba Satellite laptop, if that helps anyone.) Any other ideas?

Matimus

Any other ideas?

Well, you could always try downloading and installing python:
http://www.python.org. It is completely free. It won't run anything in
the task bar or add itself to the startup menu and it doesn't have
ads... it just sits there waiting for you to use it. I would start with
version 2.4, and if that doesn't work I would go to 2.3 then 2.5 then
2.2. Uninstall the last version before moving on to another.

I do worry a little though because python dlls are named as
Python<version>.dll, so the dll in that error message could actually be
from some third party.

Anyway, there is no harm in installing Python. If it doesn't work it
will uninstall cleanly.

-Matt