A suggestion for perldoc

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Michele Dondi, Aug 31, 2003.

  1. A lot of GUI programs feature a "tip of the day" box at startup, that
    actually is mostly annoying, and in fact generally people disable it!

    OTOH every now and again reading this ng or a doc/faq while looking
    for something else I happen to discover some very cool feature I was
    unaware of...

    So I wonder if it may be worth to add a "tip of the day" feature to
    perldoc, say by means of 'perldoc -T': of course there would be some
    overlap with other pieces of documentation, but indeed I for one would
    consider it useful!

    Then two items that for sure I would include are the possibility of
    putting a coderef into @INC (as of including Perl 5.6.1 and latter)
    and that of open()ing a fh to "in memory" files held in a scalar.

    To be definite, these tips should be very brief pieces of text
    pointing to the full documentation.

    For example, for the first item above I would say something like "Did
    you know that you can put a coderef into @INC? For more info see
    perlvar".

    Any comments?!?

    Michele
    --
    # This prints: Just another Perl hacker,
    seek DATA,15,0 and print q... <DATA>;
    Michele Dondi, Aug 31, 2003

  2. >>>>> "MD" == Michele Dondi <> writes:

    MD> So I wonder if it may be worth to add a "tip of the day"
    MD> feature to perldoc, say by means of 'perldoc -T': of course
    MD> there would be some overlap with other pieces of
    MD> documentation, but indeed I for one would consider it useful!

    There is a service that picks one of the Perl FAQ questions each day
    and e-mails it to a mailing list. Perhaps you should subscribe.

    Alternately, build the infrastructure yourself and ask people to
    donate tips. I'm not sure how useful this would be for perldoc --
    since the people who find this sort of thing useful are unlikely to
    stumble upon it -- but there are hundreds of joke-, picture-, word-,
    and tip-of-the-day mailing lists out there.

    Charlton

    --
    cwilbur at chromatico dot net
    cwilbur at mac dot com
    Charlton Wilbur, Aug 31, 2003

  3. On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 18:00:03 GMT
    Charlton Wilbur <> wrote:

    > MD> So I wonder if it may be worth to add a "tip of the day"
    > MD> feature to perldoc, say by means of 'perldoc -T': of course
    > MD> there would be some overlap with other pieces of
    > MD> documentation, but indeed I for one would consider it
    > MD> useful!
    >
    > There is a service that picks one of the Perl FAQ questions each day
    > and e-mails it to a mailing list. Perhaps you should subscribe.
    >
    > Alternately, build the infrastructure yourself and ask people to
    > donate tips. I'm not sure how useful this would be for perldoc --
    > since the people who find this sort of thing useful are unlikely to
    > stumble upon it -- but there are hundreds of joke-, picture-, word-,
    > and tip-of-the-day mailing lists out there.

    Lest we forget how many times people have asked the all time favorite
    question - that _is_ answered in the FAQ:
    "Is there an IDE or Windows Perl Editor?"

    If people don't take the time to _use_ perldoc, what good is this new
    feature?

    Just another 2 cents - take it for what it's worth :)

    Jim
    --
    and now, a quote from fortune ....
    Whistler's Law: You never know who is

    and a real quote ....
    Linus Torvalids: "They are somking crack ...."
    (http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1227150,00.asp)
    James Willmore, Aug 31, 2003
  4. Charlton Wilbur wrote:

    > There is a service that picks one of the Perl FAQ questions each day
    > and e-mails it to a mailing list. Perhaps you should subscribe.
    >
    > Alternately, build the infrastructure yourself and ask people to
    > donate tips. I'm not sure how useful this would be for perldoc --
    > since the people who find this sort of thing useful are unlikely to
    > stumble upon it -- but there are hundreds of joke-, picture-, word-,
    > and tip-of-the-day mailing lists out there.
    >
    > Charlton

    I did a search for this, but could not find it. If anybody else
    finds it, please post for all to see.

    I did find this comment:

    To the fine person behind the mailing of these Perl FAQ questions in
    comp.lang.perl.misc:

    I love you!! I look forward to these each day and
    they've stopped my learnin-self
    from asking a repetitive question MANY a time in this
    Newsgroup!

    Bravo! Bravo!!!! They're short - PERFECT for us
    newbies, and concise!

    Eric
    Mike Flannigan, Aug 31, 2003
  5. Michele Dondi

    Matt Garrish Guest

    "Mike Flannigan" <> wrote in message

    > Charlton Wilbur wrote:
    >
    > > There is a service that picks one of the Perl FAQ questions each day
    > > and e-mails it to a mailing list. Perhaps you should subscribe.
    > >
    > > Alternately, build the infrastructure yourself and ask people to
    > > donate tips. I'm not sure how useful this would be for perldoc --
    > > since the people who find this sort of thing useful are unlikely to
    > > stumble upon it -- but there are hundreds of joke-, picture-, word-,
    > > and tip-of-the-day mailing lists out there.
    > >
    > > Charlton

    > I did a search for this, but could not find it. If anybody else
    > finds it, please post for all to see.

    I can't say that I know of the service that he was speaking about, but there
    was a time when FAQ entries were posted to clpm. They were being posted up
    to a year ago, but in the intervening time it seems a change was made to
    posting posting guidlines. I believe you can get tips emailed to you at
    learn.perl.org, but I don't know if they're the faqs or something else.

    Matt
    Matt Garrish, Aug 31, 2003
  6. Michele Dondi

    Scott Yanoff Guest

    Scott Yanoff, Sep 3, 2003
  7. On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 18:00:03 GMT, Charlton Wilbur
    <> wrote:

    > MD> So I wonder if it may be worth to add a "tip of the day"
    > MD> feature to perldoc, say by means of 'perldoc -T': of course
    > MD> there would be some overlap with other pieces of
    > MD> documentation, but indeed I for one would consider it useful!
    >
    >There is a service that picks one of the Perl FAQ questions each day
    >and e-mails it to a mailing list. Perhaps you should subscribe.

    I know! FAQ entries used to be posted regularly here too, as someone
    else mentioned. However, as I said, my (vague) idea was of something
    somehow different from a (the) FAQ.

    I think that the tip-of-the-day feature, would one exist, should focus
    on advanced, hardly known, cool (not or not necessarily misunderstood,
    as is more common in a FAQ) features possibly introduced in recent
    versions of the language.

    >Alternately, build the infrastructure yourself and ask people to
    >donate tips. I'm not sure how useful this would be for perldoc --
    >since the people who find this sort of thing useful are unlikely to
    >stumble upon it -- but there are hundreds of joke-, picture-, word-,
    >and tip-of-the-day mailing lists out there.

    I mostly agree. However I was thinking that while you generally have
    to perform a well determined task and you learn while working on it,
    OTOH sometimes you happen to wonder what other cool trick is hidden in
    Perl that you still don't know and maybe you have some spare time, so
    this might be an occasion for a perldoc based tip of the day.

    Of course it wouldn't be of MUCH use. Yet, IMHO, it would be of SOME
    use...

    Thanks,
    Michele
    Michele Dondi, Sep 3, 2003
  8. Michele Dondi

    Anno Siegel Guest

    Michele Dondi <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:

    > > MD> So I wonder if it may be worth to add a "tip of the day"
    > > MD> feature to perldoc, say by means of 'perldoc -T': of course
    > > MD> there would be some overlap with other pieces of
    > > MD> documentation, but indeed I for one would consider it useful!
    > >
    > >There is a service that picks one of the Perl FAQ questions each day
    > >and e-mails it to a mailing list. Perhaps you should subscribe.

    > I know! FAQ entries used to be posted regularly here too, as someone
    > else mentioned. However, as I said, my (vague) idea was of something
    > somehow different from a (the) FAQ.
    >
    > I think that the tip-of-the-day feature, would one exist, should focus
    > on advanced, hardly known, cool (not or not necessarily misunderstood,
    > as is more common in a FAQ) features possibly introduced in recent
    > versions of the language.

    The hard part, it seems to me, is generating an initial mass of such
    tips. If it's going to be run in a fortune-cookie manner, you need a
    hundred, better more. They would have to be short, too. I can't think
    of too many of those, but then I'm just one. I think the 03 thing to
    do is set up a wiki.

    Anno
    Anno Siegel, Sep 3, 2003
  9. * Michele Dondi <>:

    [...]
    > OTOH every now and again reading this ng or a doc/faq
    > while looking for something else I happen to discover some
    > very cool feature I was unaware of...

    Perhaps purchase "Perl Cookbook" (2nd edition is freshly
    released). It contains many useful tips, all in bite sized
    morsels.

    cheers,
    --
    Iain.
    Iain Truskett, Sep 4, 2003
  10. On 3 Sep 2003 21:00:32 GMT, -berlin.de (Anno
    Siegel) wrote:

    >The hard part, it seems to me, is generating an initial mass of such
    >tips. If it's going to be run in a fortune-cookie manner, you need a
    >hundred, better more. They would have to be short, too. I can't think

    Well, I suggested 2 that came to mind soon...

    >of too many of those, but then I'm just one. I think the 03 thing to
    >do is set up a wiki.

    Some friends of mine working on a cluster at our University's
    department (mostly on a volounteering basis!) were thinking of a
    possible service of general/public utility for the lab.

    I *think* that setting up a wiki for this task would be OK, but I'm a
    bit concerned about the visibility it might have amongst all those
    /.*perl.*/ domains out there...

    Michele
    Michele Dondi, Sep 5, 2003