A table with a left border

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Peddler, Sep 20, 2003.

  1. Peddler

    Peddler Guest

    Hello all:

    I have several page containing tables with a left side border 15% wide. It
    is formatted like the following example:

    My question, when the balance of page is longer that the left side
    containing text how to get both to match in length?

    Thanks for any advice. The Peddler

    this contains text and etc.

    balance of page is formatted here

    Peddler, Sep 20, 2003

  2. Peddler

    Els Guest

    Peddler wrote:

    > Hello all:
    >
    > I have several page containing tables with a left side border 15% wide. It
    > is formatted like the following example:
    >
    > My question, when the balance of page is longer that the left side
    > containing text how to get both to match in length?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice. The Peddler

    > this contains text and etc.

    > balance of page is formatted here

    I'm not sure I understand your question, but what I am
    pretty sure of, is that 15% plus 100% is too much. ;-)

    The second <td> can only have width 85 % to fill up 100% of
    the table's width.

    (But I still don't understand your question.)

    --
    Els

    Mente humana é como pára-quedas; funciona melhor aberta.

    Els, Sep 20, 2003

  3. Peddler

    Kae Verens Guest

    Peddler wrote:
    > Hello all:
    >
    > I have several page containing tables with a left side border 15% wide. It
    > is formatted like the following example:
    >
    > My question, when the balance of page is longer that the left side
    > containing text how to get both to match in length?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice. The Peddler

    > this contains text and etc.

    > balance of page is formatted here

    why are you placing a second table within the first?

    this contains txt, etc.
    balance of page is formatted here

    although - that's the pre-1999 method of layout. Try one of the layouts
    at http://glish.com/css/

    Kae

    Kae Verens, Sep 21, 2003
  4. Peddler

    Richard Guest

    Peddler wrote:

    > Hello all:

    > I have several page containing tables with a left side border 15%
    > wide. It
    > is formatted like the following example:

    > My question, when the balance of page is longer that the left side
    > containing text how to get both to match in length?

    > Thanks for any advice. The Peddler

    Having one row and two columns, one table can not be 100% of anything.
    If cell 1 is 15% witdth of the screen, then cell 2 MUST be 85% or less.
    85%
    + 15%
    -----------
    100%

    Capice? Simple math.

    Richard, Sep 22, 2003
  5. Peddler

    Peddler Guest

    "Els" <> wrote in message
    > Peddler wrote:
    >
    > > Hello all:
    > >
    > > I have several page containing tables with a left side border 15% wide.

    It
    > > is formatted like the following example:
    > >
    > > My question, when the balance of page is longer that the left side
    > > containing text how to get both to match in length?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any advice. The Peddler

    > > this contains text and etc.

    > > balance of page is formatted here
    > >

    > I'm not sure I understand your question, but what I am
    > pretty sure of, is that 15% plus 100% is too much. ;-)
    >
    > The second <td> can only have width 85 % to fill up 100% of
    > the table's width.
    >
    > (But I still don't understand your question.)
    >
    > --
    > Els
    >
    > Mente humana é como pára-quedas; funciona melhor aberta.

    It is my understanding when a width of 15% is used for the first <td> the
    balance of the screen for the second <td> would be 100% not 85%. Is this
    incorrect?

    Thanks.

    The Peddler

    Peddler, Sep 23, 2003
  6. Peddler

    Peddler Guest

    Peddler, Sep 23, 2003
  7. Peddler

    Peddler Guest

    "Kae Verens" <> wrote in message
    > Peddler wrote:
    > > Hello all:
    > >
    > > I have several page containing tables with a left side border 15% wide.

    It
    > > is formatted like the following example:
    > >
    > > My question, when the balance of page is longer that the left side
    > > containing text how to get both to match in length?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any advice. The Peddler

    > > this contains text and etc.

    > > balance of page is formatted here

    > why are you placing a second table within the first?

    > this contains txt, etc.
    > balance of page is formatted here
    >
    > although - that's the pre-1999 method of layout. Try one of the layouts
    > at http://glish.com/css/
    >
    > Kae

    Thanks for the css tip.

    The balance of page or second column requires it to be formatted using an
    additional table.

    Thanks.

    The Peddler

    Peddler, Sep 23, 2003
  8. Peddler

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Peddler" <>
    writing in news:UZ2cb.557602$Ho3.97109@sccrnsc03:

    > It is my understanding when a width of 15% is used for the first <td>

    the
    > balance of the screen for the second <td> would be 100% not 85%. Is this
    > incorrect?
    >
    > Thanks.

    No, 15 + 100 = 115 and 100 - 15 = 85

    The screen is irrelavent. I might have a browser open, an email client
    open, a image editor open, etc. Additionally, I might have a history
    panel open in my browser, and I might be using a few tool bars in my
    browser as well, all affecting the size of the window.

    The window is 100% - the first td is 15%, which leaves 85% remaining for
    the second td.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Sep 23, 2003
  9. Peddler

    Martijn Guest

    "Peddler" <> wrote in message news:<UZ2cb.560215$o%2.245415@sccrnsc02>...
    > "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message
    > > Peddler wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hello all:

    > > > I have several page containing tables with a left side border 15%
    > > > wide. It
    > > > is formatted like the following example:

    > > > My question, when the balance of page is longer that the left side
    > > > containing text how to get both to match in length?

    > > > Thanks for any advice. The Peddler

    > > Having one row and two columns, one table can not be 100% of anything.
    > > If cell 1 is 15% witdth of the screen, then cell 2 MUST be 85% or less.
    > > 85%
    > > + 15%
    > > -----------
    > > 100%
    > >
    > > Capice? Simple math.
    > >

    > It is my understanding when a width of 15% is used for the first <td> the
    > balance of the screen for the second <td> would be 100% not 85%. Is this
    > incorrect?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > The Peddler

    align

    Martijn, Sep 24, 2003
  10. Peddler

    Peddler Guest

    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions...

    The Peddler

    Peddler, Sep 25, 2003