"a" tag rel and rev

kakalka

I was browsing the web and somehow found this two attributes of a tag.
Can someone explain me what they are for? Or maybe give me a link to a
website (not w3c =)) which explains it nicely.

Thanks,
Here are the attributes an their values.

rel

alternate
designates
stylesheet
start
next
prev
contents
glossary
copyright
chapter
section
subsection
appendix
help
bookmark

rev

alternate
designates
stylesheet
start
next
prev
contents
glossary
copyright
chapter
section
subsection
appendix
help
bookmark

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit (e-mail address removed):
I was browsing the web and somehow found this two attributes of a tag.

"This two"?
Can someone explain me what they are for? Or maybe give me a link to a
website (not w3c =)) which explains it nicely.

So you _don't_ want to find the _authoritative_ information on these
attributes? Just hearsay and made-up info? Try w3schools.com then. :)

Seriously, you don't need to know about these attributes, since they are
virtually unsupported by browsers and vaguely defined, except for
rel="stylesheet" in <link>, and any CSS tutorial should explain that part.

Jonathan N. Little

I was browsing the web and somehow found this two attributes of a tag.
Can someone explain me what they are for? Or maybe give me a link to a
website (not w3c =)) which explains it nicely.

Thanks,
Here are the attributes an their values.

Install the cmSiteNavigation Toolbar extension in your Firefox,

http://www.christophm.de/software/firefox/cmSiteNavigation/

or use SeaMonkey or Opera and visit my site or Toby's (there are a
number of folks in the NG that have progressive sites) and see the links
in action...

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=

Joel Shepherd

Jukka K. Korpela said:
Seriously, you don't need to know about these [rel] attributes, since they are
virtually unsupported by browsers and vaguely defined, except for
rel="stylesheet" in <link>, and any CSS tutorial should explain that part.

It might be more truthful to say that rel attributes are virtually
unsupported by _websites_. Several more sophisticated browsers have
supported them just fine for quite a while: Opera and Mozilla variants
are two that I've used personally.

The browser support is there: it's the web authoring community that
needs to catch up.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Joel Shepherd:
Jukka K. Korpela said:
Seriously, you don't need to know about these [rel] attributes,
since they are virtually unsupported by browsers and vaguely
defined, except for rel="stylesheet" in <link>, and any CSS tutorial
should explain that part.

It might be more truthful to say that rel attributes are virtually
unsupported by _websites_.

To some extent, this is a chicken and egg problem: few people want to use
attributes that have no useful impact on anything; and few browser vendors
are willing to implement support to attributes that are not used by authors.

But basically, the browser vendors haven't even figured out how those
attributes _should_ be supported. And I don't blame them much for _this_.

What should a browser do when it encounters

<a rel="mun kiva linkkini" href="foo">bar</a>

or something similar? For a long time, there was no authoritative
_definition_ of the _meanings_ of rel (and rev) values. I would still say
so, since the current excuse for a specification of HTML semantics (HTML
4.01, that is) is particularly vague when it comes to those values. Most of
the values have little use in <a> elements, and regarding the use of <link>
elements for navigation, it was a great idea in the middle 1990s but it's a
lost cause: everyone uses <a> elements for navigation (except the misguided
Several more sophisticated browsers have
supported them just fine for quite a while: Opera and Mozilla variants
are two that I've used personally.

I cannot see what you see as interesting in "supporting" something that is
so vaguely defined. Surely you _can_ make a browser display a rel attribute
value on mouseover or to show all links with rel="cool" as blinking, but
seriously, what is the point?