a tag style with css

Michael Huhn

Hello,

I've got a small problem to define an a Tag via css.style sheet.
In my html page I have a couple of href. These links are always visible in the status bar as soon as they get the mouse over event.
I don't want that the user is able to see where the href is linked.
I found the following source code to customize the status bar as soon as I get the mouse over event:

<A HREF="page.html" onMouseOver="self.status='Message';
return true" onMouseOut="self.status=";return true">text</A>

I want to define this in my css file which I is included in each html file I have. But I can't find the css file syntax for this.
Do I have to define this in the style hwere I defined the link, hover, visited ... ??

for example style.css:
a:link { color:#666666; font-size: 16px; }
a:visited { color:#666666; font-size: 16px; }

Thank u for your help.

Michael

Els

Michael said:
Hello,

I've got a small problem to define an a Tag via css.style sheet.
In my html page I have a couple of href. These links are always visible in the status bar as soon as they get the mouse over event.
I don't want that the user is able to see where the href is linked.

Why?
I will always be able to see that.
I found the following source code to customize the status bar as
soon as I get the mouse over event:

<A HREF="page.html" onMouseOver="self.status='Message'; return
true" onMouseOut="self.status=";return true">text</A>

Bad idea. If I would have JavaScript enabled, and notice that I can't
see where the link is going, I'll be paranoid, thinking you're trying
to trick me into opening something weird :)
I want to define this in my css file which I is included in each
html file I have. But I can't find the css file syntax for this.

You can't define JavaScript in a CSS file. CSS is for styling.

Barbara de Zoete

Firstly, please set your client to send plain text messages to usenet. Not
html. They are too big for no reason at all.
I've got a small problem to define an a Tag via css.style sheet.

Secondly, you can't define anything. You can just suggest the looks of an
element.
What you call 'an a Tag' is the anchor element, not a tag. The tag is what
you use to mark some content up to be an anchor.
In my html page I have a couple of href.

Thirdly, it is usualy best to provide an URL so we all get to see what you
are talking about.
These links are always visible in the status bar as soon as they get the
mouse over event.
I don't want that the user is able to see where the href is linked.

Why is that? What do you have to hide? Do you import someone elses pages
into a frame on your page or something? Playing some music, while I don't
want that? Trying to execute a small app, like installing an expensive
dialer? Other ugly methods?
There are a few unsafe things going on in the www. That means for example
that I would not ever click on a link that doesn't show me where it takes
me or what it does for me.
I found the following source code to customize the status bar as soon as
I get the mouse over event:

<A HREF="page.html" onMouseOver="self.status='Message';
return true" onMouseOut="self.status=";return true">text</A>

Oh, that's okay then. Do use that. Since I don't have any javascript
running, it won't bother me a bit. And it has an error btw.
I want to define this in my css file which I is included in each html
file I have. But I can't find the css file syntax for this.
Do I have to define this in the style hwere I defined the link, hover,
visited ... ??

for example style.css:
a:link { color:#666666; font-size: 16px; }

Ah, anyone not see that coming? Don't use fixed font sizes. People with IE
won't be able to (easily) change font size in their screen if they
want/need to. Use something like 100% or 1em or other relative unit.
a:visited { color:#666666; font-size: 16px; }

And the last mistake, don't make links and visited links look the same.
People want to know if they've been there already.

Then to the answer: yes, you have to set properties and their values for
the link, for all it's 'forms':

a:link
a:visited
a:hover
a:focus
a:active

Michael Huhn

I am absolteley with you.

But the problem I have is that the webserver accept that the user is able to
delete somthing from the link and they can see the file and directory
structure of the fileserver.

Example:

www.test.html/html/index.html

If they delete the index.html they can see the file structure of
www.test.html/html And they can see a complete list of the files they are in
the html folder:

Index.html

Test2.html

Test.html

Xxxxx

I don't want this. That's the reason why I want to make the link invisible
in the status bar.

May be u have another useful reason for me.

:)

Michael

Barbara de Zoete

[ Please quote properly and do not top-post ]

[ I want to be able to obscure the URL from the visitor with javascript ]

[ Please delete the signature block by hand, if your news client doesn't
do that for you. ]
I am absolteley with you.

But the problem I have is that the webserver accept that the user is
able todelete somthing from the link and they can see the file and
directory
structure of the fileserver.

So, set the server up correctly, so visitors can't do that anymore.
Example:

www.test.html/html/index.html

If they delete the index.html they can see the file structure of
www.test.html/html And they can see a complete list of the files they
are in the html folder:

They still can, you know. If they arrive on a page, they can simply snip
part of the URL from the address bar. You want to hide the address bar too?

I had this problem and I do not have access to set the server up properly
(cheap host; free as a matter of fact). What I did was put an index.html
in every 'directory' there is in my site. If a visitor types an URL to a
directory without a filename this index.html will open. So no visitor gets
to see my directories and files lists.

Alan J. Flavell

But the problem I have is that the webserver accept that the user is able to
delete somthing from the link and they can see the file and directory
structure of the fileserver.

The problem you have, then, is that you're trying to solve the wrong
problem.
www.test.html/html/index.html

If they delete the index.html they can see the file structure of
www.test.html/html And they can see a complete list of the files they are in
the html folder:

So fix the server configuration to avoid that happening.
I don't want this. That's the reason why I want to make the link invisible
in the status bar.

No, it isn't. It's the reason that you erroneously *think* you want
that. Even if you succeeded with that (which, fortuately, readers can
defend themselves against, anyway), you would not have solved the real
problem.

dorayme

From: "Barbara de Zoete said:
Firstly, please set your client to send plain text messages to usenet. Not
html. They are too big for no reason at all.

It annoyed me for a different reason, it was too small and not in the font I
normally see...

Jonathan N. Little

Michael said:
I am absolteley with you.

But the problem I have is that the webserver accept that the user is able to
delete somthing from the link and they can see the file and directory
structure of the fileserver.
They can? FTP with no password/user name??? What server?
Example:

www.test.html/html/index.html

If they delete the index.html they can see the file structure of
www.test.html/html And they can see a complete list of the files they are in
the html folder:

Index.html

Test2.html

Test.html

Xxxxx

Your server has indexes o, just need to turn them off. If you do not
control the server, you may able to turn off Indexes for your site with
an .htaccess file with

Options -Indexes

within the file and saved to your document root.
I don't want this. That's the reason why I want to make the link invisible
in the status bar.

May be u have another useful reason for me.

:)
<snip>

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Michael Huhn quothed:
I am absolteley with you.

But the problem I have is that the webserver accept that the user is able to
delete somthing from the link and they can see the file and directory
structure of the fileserver.

Example:

www.test.html/html/index.html

If they delete the index.html they can see the file structure of
www.test.html/html And they can see a complete list of the files they are in
the html folder:

Even with index.html still in the folder? Hmmm.

Anyway, as others suggested, Google for .htaccess and turn indices off.
If you do the statusbar thing with javascript (which is unrelated to
css, btw,) non-js-enabled browsers will still be able to read it,
nevertheless.