A "terminators' club" for clp

Discussion in 'Python' started by kj, Nov 13, 2009.

  1. kj

    kj Guest

    This is "meta-question" about comp.lang.python. I apologize in
    advance if it has been already discussed. Also, I don't know enough
    about the underlying mechanics of comp.lang.python, so this may be
    *totally unfeasible*, but how about giving a few bona fide *and
    frequent* clp posters the ability to *easily* delete spam from the
    comp.lang.python server?

    Or it could be set up so that at least n > 1 "delete" votes and no
    "keep" votes are required to get something nixed. Etc.

    This seems simpler than all-out moderation.

    ("all-out moderation"? now, there's an oxymoron for ya!)

    One possible *initial* criterion for selecting these "terminators"
    would be the number of posts to clp between, say, January 2009 and
    July 2009. The members of this seed set could then select new
    members for the terminators' club.

    Just a thought.

    kynn
    kj, Nov 13, 2009

  2. kj

    Paul Rubin Guest

    kj <> writes:
    > frequent* clp posters the ability to *easily* delete spam from the
    > comp.lang.python server?

    Um, this is usenet; there is no comp.lang.python server. Are you
    saying you want a moderated newsgroup? Hmm, maybe this group is busy
    enough that there is some merit to that idea.
    Paul Rubin, Nov 13, 2009

  3. kj

    r Guest

    On Nov 13, 5:29 pm, kj <> wrote:
    > This is "meta-question" about comp.lang.python.  I apologize in
    > advance if it has been already discussed.  Also, I don't know enough
    > about the underlying mechanics of comp.lang.python, so this may be
    > *totally unfeasible*, but how about giving a few bona fide *and
    > frequent* clp posters the ability to *easily* delete spam from the
    > comp.lang.python server?

    How long you been hanging around here?

    There are problems inherent in all moderated groups. When you give
    anyone the power to delete post they can use it for good and for evil.
    c.l.py like all groups has good and bad followers, spam, and trollers
    like anywhere else. What you consider spam and trolling i may consider
    freedom of speech although like anyone here i vehemently hate spammers
    and would like to put them out of business permanently! Trolls don't
    bother me so much because i just skip past their posts -- And there
    are many levels of trolling.

    However if you are selling something (that is *not* directly python
    related) then i think we could *safely* say that you are spamming this
    group. Nobody has come here to buy a knockoff Rolex's or Nike tennis
    shoes at ten bucks each. If you are posting porn links then we could
    *safely* say that porn is in no way applicable to this group and
    delete them on that merit. I'm OK with that, but would it stop there?

    If you look back through history you will find many instances of the
    powerful robbing the innocent peoples of freedoms in the name of good,
    or even the name of God, despicable hypocrite's!. Heck people where
    murdered by nation states just because of fear and ignorance ("Salem
    witch trials" ring a bell, the holocaust ring a bell?, and many many
    more sad cases).

    So if i had a choice between trollers, spammers, and power hungry
    murderers, i'll buy the rolex and listen to x-and-lee's all day long
    thank you very much!

    Power is corrupting, and absolute power is absolutely corrupting!
    r, Nov 14, 2009
  4. kj

    kj Guest

    In <> Paul Rubin <http://> writes:

    >kj <> writes:
    >> frequent* clp posters the ability to *easily* delete spam from the
    >> comp.lang.python server?

    >Um, this is usenet; there is no comp.lang.python server. Are you
    >saying you want a moderated newsgroup? Hmm, maybe this group is busy
    >enough that there is some merit to that idea.

    Sorry, I had a mistaken view of how usenet was implemented. But
    yeah, I guess I'm thinking of a moderated newsgroup, but with a
    large number of moderators working in parallel, and a very lax
    acceptance policy. The goal is to filter out only the obvious
    spam, and let through all the other non-spam traffic as quickly as
    possible... What do I mean by "obvious spam"? Well, among the
    most recent messages (that have survived my killfile policies) I
    see the following subject lines:

    * Top 10 US mp3 songs.....Cheers
    * www.find68.com cheaper nike shoes g-satr kidrobot hoodies ed hardy star red monkey gino green global true religion ed-hardy kidrobot jeans hoodies china supplier wholesaler exporters,manufacture
    * "jobs in france" "jobs in france for english people" "jobs in france for foreigners" "jobs in france for australians" "jobs in france for foreigners " "jobs in france for new zealanders" "jobs" "paris jobs" http://jobs-in-fr ance.blogspot.com/
    * "germany jobs" "germany job sites" "germany job search" "jobs in germany" "german jobs" "germany jobs it" "germany jobs for foreigners" "germany jobsite" "germany jobs in english" on http://jobs-germany.blogspot.com/

    Those look pretty obvious to me.

    But, as I already showed, I'm out of my depth here,
    so I'd better shut up.

    kynn
    kj, Nov 14, 2009
  5. kj

    r Guest

    On Nov 14, 4:59 am, kj <> wrote:
    > But, as I already showed, I'm out of my depth here,
    > so I'd better shut up.

    Don't give up so easy! The idea is great, what Paul is saying is that
    most people who read this group use newsreaders and that has nothing
    to do with google groups. These guy's have kill filters for just this
    sort of thing but either way the emails are on their puters so they
    have to deal with them on an individual basis. It would be nice
    however to clean up the Google group version and rid it of the plagues
    of spam infestations.
    r, Nov 14, 2009
  6. kj

    gil_johnson Guest

    On Nov 13, 5:29 pm, kj <> wrote:
    [...]
    > Or it could be set up so that at least n > 1 "delete" votes and no
    > "keep" votes are required to get something nixed.  Etc.
    >
    > This seems simpler than all-out moderation.
    >
    > ("all-out moderation"? now, there's an oxymoron for ya!)

    How about using a "rank this post" feature? Anybody could rank a post
    as spam, and a sufficiently large number of negatives would quickly
    draw the attention of someone with the power to kill the message. I
    suppose even this is subject to abuse, allowing harassment of a
    legitimate poster., but my guess is that the votes against counterfeit
    Nike shoes, etc., would outnumber the most energetic "vote troll."
    Gil
    gil_johnson, Nov 14, 2009
  7. * gil_johnson:
    > On Nov 13, 5:29 pm, kj <> wrote:
    > [...]
    >> Or it could be set up so that at least n > 1 "delete" votes and no
    >> "keep" votes are required to get something nixed. Etc.
    >>
    >> This seems simpler than all-out moderation.
    >>
    >> ("all-out moderation"? now, there's an oxymoron for ya!)
    >>

    > How about using a "rank this post" feature? Anybody could rank a post
    > as spam, and a sufficiently large number of negatives would quickly
    > draw the attention of someone with the power to kill the message. I
    > suppose even this is subject to abuse, allowing harassment of a
    > legitimate poster., but my guess is that the votes against counterfeit
    > Nike shoes, etc., would outnumber the most energetic "vote troll."

    The problem with moderation isn't getting rid of spam and trolls etc., but
    turnaround time.

    In some cases trivial questions cause a flood of essentially identical trivial
    dilemma of whether to approve all that or make judgements based on /content/.
    The latter leads to a very slippery slope, you really don't want the mods to do
    that, plus that in some cases what might appear trivial leads to very fruitful
    discussion of not-so-trivial aspects.

    But it's not either/or: it's possible to have both an unmoderated group (fast
    turnaround, much spam, some heated discussion) and a corresponding moderated
    group (slow turnaround, no spam, far less heat, presence of more experts), e.g.
    as [comp.lang.c++] and [oomp.lang.c++.moderated]. :)

    Cheers & hth.,

    - Alf
    Alf P. Steinbach, Nov 14, 2009
  8. kj

    r Guest

    On Nov 14, 7:28 am, gil_johnson <> wrote:

    > How about using a "rank this post" feature? Anybody could rank a post
    > as spam, and a sufficiently large number of negatives would quickly
    > draw the attention of someone with the power to kill the message. I
    > suppose even this is subject to abuse, allowing harassment of a
    > legitimate poster., but my guess is that the votes against counterfeit
    > Nike shoes, etc., would outnumber the most energetic "vote troll."
    > Gil

    Actually there is a "rank this post" (gotta be careful with that
    verbage!) AND a "report this post as spam". Of course it only exists
    in GG's and not Usenet. I *do* know that the star system is used quite
    frequently, but i doubt anyone bothers to use the "report as spam"
    link since it seems have no effect whatsoever.
    r, Nov 14, 2009
  9. kj

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Alf P. Steinbach" <> writes:
    > The problem with moderation isn't getting rid of spam and trolls etc.,
    > but turnaround time.

    There is automatic moderation software that auto-approves any post
    from an address that has had one or two posts manually approved.
    While that's susceptible to address forgery, the typical spammer
    doesn't do that.
    Paul Rubin, Nov 14, 2009
  10. kj

    Terry Reedy Guest

    r wrote:
    > On Nov 14, 4:59 am, kj <> wrote:
    >> But, as I already showed, I'm out of my depth here,
    >> so I'd better shut up.

    > Don't give up so easy! The idea is great, what Paul is saying is that
    > most people who read this group use newsreaders and that has nothing
    > to do with google groups. These guy's have kill filters for just this
    > sort of thing but either way the emails are on their puters so they
    > have to deal with them on an individual basis. It would be nice
    > however to clean up the Google group version and rid it of the plagues
    > of spam infestations.

    Anyone with a newsreader can, like me, read gmane.comp.python.general,
    which mirrors python-list, which now filters out much/most of the spam
    on c.l.p from G.g.

    To post from g.c.p.g, one must use a real email address and respond once
    to an email sent to that address.

    So, the only reason to use c.l.p is if one wants to post anonymously,
    like the spammers do ;-).

    Terry Jan Reedy
    Terry Reedy, Nov 14, 2009
  11. kj

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Terry Reedy <> writes:
    > To post from g.c.p.g, one must use a real email address and respond
    > once to an email sent to that address.
    >
    > So, the only reason to use c.l.p is if one wants to post anonymously,
    > like the spammers do ;-).

    No I don't think so. "Unwilling to disclose email address or enroll
    yet another computer account" is not the same as "anonymous".
    Paul Rubin, Nov 14, 2009
  12. kj

    r Guest

    On Nov 14, 4:52 pm, Terry Reedy <> wrote:
    > So, the only reason to use c.l.p is if one wants to post anonymously,
    > like the spammers do ;-).

    I don't think that completely correct. Lots of people find GG's to be
    more suited to their news reading pleasures, i am one of them. I hate
    to have an email just overflowing with mails all the time. Here in
    GG's, i just come and go without worrying about deleting messages or
    kill filters or whatever.

    Maybe even Guido himself uses GG's? Heck for all we know Guido could
    have a "pybot" sending all these spams just so Python's TIOBE index
    will increase! ;-)
    r, Nov 14, 2009
  13. kj

    Terry Reedy Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > Terry Reedy <> writes:
    >> To post from g.c.p.g, one must use a real email address and respond
    >> once to an email sent to that address.
    >>
    >> So, the only reason to use c.l.p is if one wants to post anonymously,
    >> like the spammers do ;-).

    > No I don't think so. "Unwilling to disclose email address or enroll
    > yet another computer account" is not the same as "anonymous".

    There is no 'enrolling' except for hitting reply to an email *when you
    first post*, but never to just read. You point your news reader to gmane
    just like to any other newsserver. Once you do, you have access to a
    couple hundred other Python mailing lists and 1000s of others. I believe
    c.l.p is one of the few that also appear on gmane, and only because of
    its gateway to/from python-list.

    Terry Jan Reedy
    Terry Reedy, Nov 15, 2009
  14. kj

    Terry Reedy Guest

    r wrote:
    > On Nov 14, 4:52 pm, Terry Reedy <> wrote:
    >> So, the only reason to use c.l.p is if one wants to post anonymously,
    >> like the spammers do ;-).

    > I don't think that completely correct. Lots of people find GG's to be
    > more suited to their news reading pleasures,

    I was referring to c.l.p on a nntp newsserver read by a newsreader
    program. That was the context of the previous discussion. G.G. is
    different, read through a browser (and only that, as far as I know).

    i am one of them. I hate
    > to have an email just overflowing with mails all the time. Here in
    > GG's, i just come and go without worrying about deleting messages or
    > kill filters or whatever.

    That is why I read python-list and other mailing lists (that are not
    available as a g.g.) via gmane.

    Terry Jan Reedy
    Terry Reedy, Nov 15, 2009
  15. kj

    Terry Reedy Guest

    Ben Finney wrote:
    > Terry Reedy <> writes:
    >
    >> So, the only reason to use c.l.p is if one wants to post anonymously,
    >> like the spammers do ;-).

    > Or if one has an ISP who provides a Usenet feed, like mine does.

    Gmane is a nntp news feed, just not a usenet feed. If you can read
    usenet, you can read gmane, probably in the time it took you to write
    this post -- and get access to 1000s of mirrer mailing lists. I switched
    to gmane's mirror of python-list *before* I had to because it was
    superior, overall, to my ISP at the time. Hoever, if you like the extra
    spam, don't spend the minute it takes. But my comment is directed at
    those complaining about it.

    Just tell your newsreader to make a new news 'account' for
    news.gmane.org or snews.gmane.org (port 563) to use ssl - either at the
    corresponding default ports.

    tjr
    Terry Reedy, Nov 15, 2009
  16. kj

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    Ben Finney <> wrote:
    >Terry Reedy <> writes:
    >>
    >> So, the only reason to use c.l.p is if one wants to post anonymously,
    >> like the spammers do ;-).

    >Or if one has an ISP who provides a Usenet feed, like mine does.

    Mine does, too.

    >A pox upon Andrew Cuomo for bashing ISPs in the USA with the stick of
    >“child pornography†(which he discovered on 88 out of many thousands of
    >forums). Faced with the unreasonable role of policing Usenet, they shut
    >it all off <URL:http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-9964895-38.html>.

    Actually, my ISP is in New York City.
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    [on old computer technologies and programmers] "Fancy tail fins on a
    brand new '59 Cadillac didn't mean throwing out a whole generation of
    mechanics who started with model As." --Andrew Dalke
    Aahz, Nov 15, 2009
  17. kj

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:

    >There is automatic moderation software that auto-approves any post
    >from an address that has had one or two posts manually approved.
    >While that's susceptible to address forgery, the typical spammer
    >doesn't do that.

    There's even auto-mod with e-mail confirmation (similar to subscribing to
    a mailing list), see soc.singles.moderated.

    Aahz, Nov 15, 2009
  18. kj

    David Bolen Guest

    Terry Reedy <> writes:

    > r wrote:
    >> On Nov 14, 4:59 am, kj <> wrote:
    >>> But, as I already showed, I'm out of my depth here,
    >>> so I'd better shut up.

    >> Don't give up so easy! The idea is great, what Paul is saying is that
    >> most people who read this group use newsreaders and that has nothing
    >> to do with google groups. These guy's have kill filters for just this
    >> sort of thing but either way the emails are on their puters so they
    >> have to deal with them on an individual basis. It would be nice
    >> however to clean up the Google group version and rid it of the plagues
    >> of spam infestations.

    > Anyone with a newsreader can, like me, read gmane.comp.python.general,
    > which mirrors python-list, which now filters out much/most of the spam
    > on c.l.p from G.g.

    The same is true on some (not sure if it qualifies for many) Usenet
    servers. I use news.individual.net for example (for a modest yearly
    fee as of a few years ago) and in my experience it does a great job at
    filtering spam. I'm sure there are other services that do as well. I
    don't have to manage any special filters and don't seem to see any of
    the stuff in this group, for example, mentioned in this thread.

    I do use gmane for a lot of other lists (including python-dev) that
    aren't operated as a Usenet newsgroups and it's an excellent service.

    -- David
    David Bolen, Nov 15, 2009
  19. kj

    gil_johnson Guest

    On Nov 14, 12:08 pm, r <> wrote:
    > On Nov 14, 7:28 am, gil_johnson <> wrote:

    > Actually there is a "rank this post" (gotta be careful with that
    > verbage!) AND a "report this post as spam". Of course it only exists
    > in GG's and not Usenet. I *do* know that the star system is used quite
    > frequently, but i doubt anyone bothers to use the "report as spam"
    > link since it seems have no effect whatsoever.

    Heh. I should look around more before posting. It does prove your
    point, though. The 'spam' button is ubiquitous, but so seldom used
    it's forgotten.

    Actually, my enthusiasm for my idea faded with a little thought. It is
    an extra effort to open spam to get to the 'spam' button, and sends
    the message to the spammer that people are, indeed opening their junk.
    I'd use it if I opened a message with a deceptive subject.
    Gil
    gil_johnson, Nov 16, 2009
  20. kj

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    Terry Reedy <> wrote:

    >Some usenet newsgroups were/are moderated either by a robot, a person,
    >or a team (as you suggested). But a particular newsgroup has to be set
    >up that way from the beginning. Last I knew, it wan/is? difficult to
    >convert an unmoderated group to moderation.

    It has gotten exponentially more difficult over the last decade.
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    definition, not smart enough to debug it." --Brian W. Kernighan
    Aahz, Nov 19, 2009