A test can be opened only within a test Project Error

Dave

Having issues with a "Web Test" project.

The project was created by Test => New Test => Web Test. Everything is fine
until I exit the IDE and then re-open the solution. When I try to open the
..WebTest file, the following error is issued:

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
---------------------------
Visual Studio could not open the file
"C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Trax\TraxReportsTest\rptTimePeriodReturnsMultipleNames.webtest"
because the file contains tests. A test can be opened only within a test
project. Add the file to a test project, add the test project to the open
solution, and then try again.
----------------------------

The .webtest is in the "Web Test" project described above.

What is the cause of this error and how can it be avoided? I can't afford
to create new Test Projects everytime I open the IDE.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Dave,

From your description, you're encountering some problem open a webtest file
in your visual studio (2005? ) project, correct?

As for the WebTest, you created throught "Test-->NewTest ...", then do you
already have a web application(project) opened or you create a new
project/solution through "Test-->New Test"? As the error message indicate,
a webtest file must be embeded in a test project, I'm wondering whether
there is anything incorrect with the container project. I've performed a
simple test on my side via the following steps:

** open an existing ASP.NET web project (hosted in IIS)

** "Test-->New Test" and create a new Web Test in the project(also create
a new Test Project inside the solution that contain the original web
project)

** close the IDE and open it again, it seems the webtest file can be opened
correctly.

therefore, I think this should be a solution or project specific issue. For
general test, you can also try create a new solution and copy all the
original projects into the new one to see whether the problems can be
eliminated.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

--------------------

Dave

You seem to be correct...there appears to be a problem with one of the
projects (but I'll be durned if I can figure out what). Thanks for your
help.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply,

If you meet any new problem need help, please feel free to post here.

From: =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZQ==?= <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: A test can be opened only within a test Project Error
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 18:36:01 -0800