A test can be opened only within a test Project Error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Dave, Feb 2, 2008.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Having issues with a "Web Test" project.

    The project was created by Test => New Test => Web Test. Everything is fine
    until I exit the IDE and then re-open the solution. When I try to open the
    ..WebTest file, the following error is issued:

    ---------------------------
    Microsoft Visual Studio
    ---------------------------
    Visual Studio could not open the file
    "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Trax\TraxReportsTest\rptTimePeriodReturnsMultipleNames.webtest"
    because the file contains tests. A test can be opened only within a test
    project. Add the file to a test project, add the test project to the open
    solution, and then try again.
    ----------------------------

    The .webtest is in the "Web Test" project described above.

    What is the cause of this error and how can it be avoided? I can't afford
    to create new Test Projects everytime I open the IDE.

    Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Dave, Feb 2, 2008

  2. Hi Dave,

    From your description, you're encountering some problem open a webtest file
    in your visual studio (2005? ) project, correct?

    As for the WebTest, you created throught "Test-->NewTest ...", then do you
    already have a web application(project) opened or you create a new
    project/solution through "Test-->New Test"? As the error message indicate,
    a webtest file must be embeded in a test project, I'm wondering whether
    there is anything incorrect with the container project. I've performed a
    simple test on my side via the following steps:

    ** open an existing ASP.NET web project (hosted in IIS)

    ** "Test-->New Test" and create a new Web Test in the project(also create
    a new Test Project inside the solution that contain the original web
    project)

    ** close the IDE and open it again, it seems the webtest file can be opened
    correctly.

    therefore, I think this should be a solution or project specific issue. For
    general test, you can also try create a new solution and copy all the
    original projects into the new one to see whether the problems can be
    eliminated.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    ications.

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Feb 4, 2008

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    You seem to be correct...there appears to be a problem with one of the
    projects (but I'll be durned if I can figure out what). Thanks for your
    help.

    Dave, Feb 5, 2008
  4. Thanks for your reply,

    If you meet any new problem need help, please feel free to post here.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    --------------------
    >From: =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZQ==?= <>

    <>
    >Subject: RE: A test can be opened only within a test Project Error
    >Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 18:36:01 -0800

    >You seem to be correct...there appears to be a problem with one of the
    >projects (but I'll be durned if I can figure out what). Thanks for your
    >help.
    >
    >"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Dave,
    >>
    >> From your description, you're encountering some problem open a webtest

    file
    >> in your visual studio (2005? ) project, correct?
    >>
    >> As for the WebTest, you created throught "Test-->NewTest ...", then do

    you
    >> already have a web application(project) opened or you create a new
    >> project/solution through "Test-->New Test"? As the error message

    indicate,
    >> a webtest file must be embeded in a test project, I'm wondering whether
    >> there is anything incorrect with the container project. I've performed

    >> simple test on my side via the following steps:
    >>
    >> ** open an existing ASP.NET web project (hosted in IIS)
    >>
    >> ** "Test-->New Test" and create a new Web Test in the project(also

    create
    >> a new Test Project inside the solution that contain the original web
    >> project)
    >>
    >> ** close the IDE and open it again, it seems the webtest file can be

    opened
    >> correctly.
    >>
    >> therefore, I think this should be a solution or project specific issue.

    For
    >> general test, you can also try create a new solution and copy all the
    >> original projects into the new one to see whether the problems can be
    >> eliminated.
    >>
    >> Sincerely,
    >>
    >> Steven Cheng
    >>
    >> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    >> ications.

    issues

    follow
    >> professional working with you may need further investigation to reach

    the
    >> most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for

    situations
    >> project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are

    best
    >> handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by

    contacting
    >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/support/default.aspx.

    rights.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Feb 5, 2008