    was a more flexible solution, perhaps based on some sort of phoenetic
    routine.

    Bernard.
    bernard, Mar 10, 2005

  2. bernard

    J. Gleixner Guest

    J. Gleixner, Mar 10, 2005

  3. bernard

    Ala Qumsieh Guest

    [TOTALLY OT] Re: A versus An (programatically)

    bernard wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a way to allow Perl to determine whether a word
    > would require the indefinite article 'a' or 'an'. Looking at style
    > guides, such as the one found at:
    > http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/esl/esliart.html
    > we see that it is NOT as simple as just looking for an aeiou at the
    > beginning of a word.

    My biggest pet peeve is people saying "An historic event". That is just
    plain wrong. Somehow, using the article "an" with the word "historic" is
    seen as a sign of higher intellect. It is not!

    Just needed to get that out of my system :)
    Now back to your scheduled clpm programming ..
    --Ala
    Ala Qumsieh, Mar 11, 2005
  4. bernard

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Re: [TOTALLY OT] Re: A versus An (programatically)

    Ala Qumsieh wrote:
    > My biggest pet peeve is people saying "An historic event". That is just
    > plain wrong. Somehow, using the article "an" with the word "historic" is

    Dialects which have silent 'h' in historic
    also use 'an' before it. This is correct
    for them.

    If the 'h' is not silent in your dialect, then
    'an' is "just plain wrong" in _your_ dialect.

    --
    Wes Groleau
    Amateur linguist
    Wes Groleau, Mar 11, 2005
  5. bernard

    Lars Eighner Guest

    Re: [TOTALLY OT] Re: A versus An (programatically)

    In our last episode,
    <>,
    the lovely and talented Wes Groleau
    broadcast on comp.lang.perl.misc:

    > Ala Qumsieh wrote:

    >> My biggest pet peeve is people saying "An historic event".
    >> That is just plain wrong. Somehow, using the article "an"
    >> with the word "historic" is

    > Dialects which have silent 'h' in historic
    > also use 'an' before it. This is correct
    > for them.

    > If the 'h' is not silent in your dialect, then
    > 'an' is "just plain wrong" in _your_ dialect.

    This has been done to death in alt.usage.english. Summary:
    in some cases, people who normally pronounce their h's,
    don't when the stress shifts - or at least the h may become
    very minimal. So some people who do say "a history" will also
    say "an historic" without affectation.

    --
    Lars Eighner http://www.io.com/~eighner/
    Bac'n Bits: Humans don't know it's not bacon!
    Lars Eighner, Mar 11, 2005
  6. Re: [TOTALLY OT] Re: A versus An (programatically)

    http://www.askoxford.com/worldofwords/wordfrom/aitches/

    --
    Darren Dunham
    Darren Dunham, Mar 11, 2005
  7. Re: [TOTALLY OT] Re: A versus An (programatically)

    Ala Qumsieh wrote:
    > bernard wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know of a way to allow Perl to determine whether a word
    >> would require the indefinite article 'a' or 'an'. Looking at style
    >> guides, such as the one found at:
    >> http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/esl/esliart.html
    >> we see that it is NOT as simple as just looking for an aeiou at the
    >> beginning of a word.

    > My biggest pet peeve is people saying "An historic event". That is just
    > plain wrong. Somehow, using the article "an" with the word "historic" is
    > seen as a sign of higher intellect. It is not!

    No, it is simply old-fashioned.
    ---
    John W. Kennedy
    "Sweet, was Christ crucified to create this chat?"
    -- Charles Williams. "Judgement at Chelmsford"
    John W. Kennedy, Mar 12, 2005