a very bad question

leo.hou

Hi guys, prepare for a bad question... I want to know how to pronounce
"~" and "#" in English

Tintin

Hi guys, prepare for a bad question... I want to know how to pronounce
"~" and "#" in English

Depends which variance of English you mean.

For some people, it's:

~ = tilde
# = hash

Peter Wyzl

: Hi guys, prepare for a bad question... I want to know how to pronounce
: "~" and "#" in English

~ is spelt tilde but pronounced tild or tilled

# is called either pound or hash depending whether you speak US English
(pound) or UK/Australian English (hash)

chris-usenet

Hi guys, prepare for a bad question... I want to know how to
pronounce "~" and "#" in English

Larry said:
Tilde and Pound sir.

Ah. You must be using American English.

In English English it's "tilde" and (usually) "hash", respectively.

However, I've also heard "#" being described as "square" and even
"octothorpe". There's a FAQ somewhere on one of the UK newsgroups about
this.

The noun "pound" is never used for "#" as this word is used[*] for our
currency symbol and an (obsolete) imperial weight measurement.

Ob Perl:
print "UK currency symbol is \x{A3}\n"; # U+00A3 POUND SIGN

Chris

[*] Actually there are other uses of the noun "pound" but none is for
describing the symbol "#".

Paul Lalli

Hi guys, prepare for a bad question... I want to know how to pronounce
"~" and "#" in English

In addition to the other responses, you should be aware that some people
refer to '#' as a 'number sign'.

Paul Lalli

jl_post

Paul said:
In addition to the other responses, you should be aware
that some people refer to '#' as a 'number sign'.

Although it's fairly rare, some people will even refer to '#' as the
"tic-tac-toe" sign. (Tic-tac-toe is a simple game played with X's and
O's.)

-- Jean-Luc

Wondering

Wow. I've read the replies, and not one gives the truly correct name
for this symbol "#"

It's an octothorpe - though most people use the more generally
understood terms included in the other posts.

Other symbols typically not reffered to by their correct names -
/ Virgule
\ Anti-virgule

I thought there were more compulsive folks reading this group.

Anno Siegel

Wondering said:
Wow. I've read the replies, and not one gives the truly correct name
for this symbol "#"

It's an octothorpe - though most people use the more generally
understood terms included in the other posts.

That statement only shows that you don't know what you are talking about.

The "truly correct name" for # has been discussed on Usenet hundreds of
times. The result is invariably that there is none.

Here is what the alt.usage.english FAQ has to say about "octothorpe":

Finally, in a failed attempt to avoid the naming problem by
creating a new name, the term "octothorp(e)" (which MWCD10 dates
1971) was invented for "#", allegedly by Bell Labs engineers when.

Anno

Anno Siegel

Wondering said:
Wow. I've read the replies, and not one gives the truly correct name
for this symbol "#"

It's an octothorpe - though most people use the more generally
understood terms included in the other posts.

That statement only shows that you don't know what you are talking about.

The "truly correct name" for # has been discussed on Usenet hundreds of
times. The result is invariably that there is none.

Here is what the alt.usage.english FAQ has to say about "octothorpe":

Finally, in a failed attempt to avoid the naming problem by
creating a new name, the term "octothorp(e)" (which MWCD10 dates
1971) was invented for "#", allegedly by Bell Labs engineers when...

Anno

Chris Mattern

Scott said:
or "sharp."

Actually, in spite of what Microsoft would have you believe, a musical
sharp sign, although very similar in appearance to hash/pound/octothorpe,
is in fact different. If you'll look at Unicode UTF-8, you will discover
that the musical sharp sign is code 0x266f.

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

jhunterj

Chris said:
Actually, in spite of what Microsoft would have you believe,

You misspelled "ANSI" as "Microsoft" there. ANSI decided that
computers would know #.
a musical sharp sign,

Who said "musical sharp sign"? Scott said some people call # a sharp,
and so they do.
although very similar in appearance to hash/pound/octothorpe,
is in fact different. If you'll look at Unicode UTF-8, you will discover
that the musical sharp sign is code 0x266f.

Unicode doesn't dictate English pronunciation of ASCII symbols though.

Martin Kissner

Ah. You must be using American English.

In English English it's "tilde" and (usually) "hash", respectively.

So my version of *nix obviously speaks English English.
see `man ftp | less -p hash` if yours do so, too.

SCNR
Martin

Chris Mattern

Jürgen Exner said:
Rather a contradiction
Well, yes, that's what an oxymoron is, you know.
Like "Large medium", "jumbo shrimp", or "military
intelligence".

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

Eric Schwartz

Jürgen Exner said:
Rather a contradiction

Neither. It's a perfectly valid, if wholly inadequate (Which
America? Deep South? Appalachia? Midwest? New England?)
description for a dialect of English.

See "The American Language", Mencken et. al., for further info.

-=Eric, tired of the America-baiting