A very sad ? about frames

Wipkip

On a site that uses frames how can I make pages open in the proper frame. Problem is
that the pages are indexed in search engines and they have no means of navigation.

I have just inherited this mess & need a quick fix for it until I finish a complete
redo.

Wipkip said:
On a site that uses frames how can I make pages open in the proper frame. Problem is
that the pages are indexed in search engines and they have no means of navigation.

I have just inherited this mess & need a quick fix for it until I finish a complete
redo.
Add navigation links to all major pages on each page, even
if they're redundant to the framed links-page. Also
see:
http://www.highrankings.com/framedsite.htm

Cheers, m at http://www.mbstevens.com/
via Tux and Ice: 0% GatesBloat.

Wipkip said:
When I redone there won't be any frames. I know there is just a bit if code that
will poen it in the frame but I can't find it.
Create a frame with links that target the content frame,
which has been named in its declaration in the frameset:

Wipkip

m said:
Create a frame with links that target the content frame,
which has been named in its declaration in the frameset:

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Wed, 15 Oct 2003 04:13:44 GMT, Wipkip is reported to have
stated:
On a site that uses frames how can I make pages open in the proper frame. Problem is
that the pages are indexed in search engines and they have no means of navigation.

I have just inherited this mess & need a quick fix for it until I finish a complete
redo.

There is a javascript hack for it - couldn't tell you what it is, but a
quick Google search should turn it up. And of course the usual caveats
apply - won't work for users without Javascript, etc. But if it is only a
temporary fix, it is better than nothing. :)

Wipkip

Mark said:
Sometime around Wed, 15 Oct 2003 04:13:44 GMT, Wipkip is reported to

There is a javascript hack for it - couldn't tell you what it is, but
quick Google search should turn it up. And of course the usual
caveats
apply - won't work for users without Javascript, etc. But if it is
only a
temporary fix, it is better than nothing. :)

I think I found it. I doesn't display the page searched but it does at least take
you to the home page in frames. Good enough for now.

Thanks

Whitecrest

On a site that uses frames how can I make pages open in the proper frame. Problem is
that the pages are indexed in search engines and they have no means of navigation.
I have just inherited this mess & need a quick fix for it until I finish a complete
redo.

Your page can check to see (via the DOM) where it exists, and if it is
not where it thinks it should be it changes the location to one that is
appropriate within the framed site. Kind of like the reverse of the
"hey kick me out of this frame" javascript. We will usually put this in
an external js file and everyone references it if we work on a frame
site. This lets people book mark specific places in your framed site.
When they return, they see the nice framed site just like they saw it
the last time.

:: Lets save time, and everyone insert their favorite thread about this
depending on javascript turned on here::

TCD

| In article <[email protected]>,
| (e-mail address removed) says...
| > On a site that uses frames how can I make pages open in the proper frame. Problem is
| > that the pages are indexed in search engines and they have no means of navigation.
| > I have just inherited this mess & need a quick fix for it until I finish a complete
| > redo.
|
| Your page can check to see (via the DOM) where it exists, and if it is
| not where it thinks it should be it changes the location to one that is
| appropriate within the framed site. Kind of like the reverse of the
| "hey kick me out of this frame" javascript. We will usually put this in
| an external js file and everyone references it if we work on a frame
| site. This lets people book mark specific places in your framed site.
| When they return, they see the nice framed site just like they saw it
| the last time.
|
| :: Lets save time, and everyone insert their favorite thread about this
| depending on javascript turned on here::
|

| --
| Whitecrest Entertainment
| www.whitecrestent.com

i need something like that, u got a link for that???