    I have a video in the hard drive. Its format is mp4, and about 30 minutes long. I wanted to upload it to my web site, and ask other people to watch. I may have to make a web page for it. Could anyone teach me the steps on how to proceed.

    If such an inquiry is not for this group, I appreciate information on which group to go. Thanks.

    fulio pen
    fulio pen, Mar 21, 2013

  2. fulio pen

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 15:48:47 -0700 (PDT), fulio pen wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a video in the hard drive. Its format is mp4, and about 30 minutes long. I wanted to upload it to my web site, and ask other people to watch. I may have to make a web page for it. Could anyone teach me the steps on how to proceed.
    >
    > If such an inquiry is not for this group, I appreciate information on which group to go. Thanks.
    >
    > fulio pen

    www.google.com
    html tutorials.
    richard, Mar 21, 2013

  3. fulio pen

    123Jim Guest

    On 21/03/2013 22:48, fulio pen wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a video in the hard drive. Its format is mp4, and about 30 minutes long. I wanted to upload it to my web site, and ask other people to watch. I may have to make a web page for it. Could anyone teach me the steps on how to proceed.
    >
    > If such an inquiry is not for this group, I appreciate information on which group to go. Thanks.
    >
    > fulio pen

    <!doctype html>
    <head>
    <title>HTML5 VIDEO example</title>
    </head>
    <video controls="true" autoplay="true" loop="true" muted="true"
    height="400" width="400" >
    <source src="myvideo.mp4" type="video/mp4" />
    <source src="myvideo.webm" type="video/webm" />
    </video>

    Neither Firefox nor Opera do mp4 in html5 so you need to convert it to
    WEBM format and offer both formats. You can convert video using VLC
    media player the free media player.
    Some help here:
    http://www.ghacks.net/2011/08/02/how-to-convert-videos-with-vlc/

    Alternatively you could offer your mp4 video by using embed as below,
    also HTML5, and quite likely the browser will have a plugin for mp4, or
    maybe not.

    <!doctype html>
    <head>
    <title>HTML5 embed VIDEO (requires plugin)</title>
    </head>
    <embed src="myvideo.mp4" type="video/mp4" width="400px" height="400px" />

    123Jim, Mar 22, 2013
  4. fulio pen

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > fulio pen wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I have a video in the hard drive. Its format is mp4, and about 30 minutes
    > > long. I wanted to upload it to my web site, and ask other people to watch.
    > > I may have to make a web page for it. Could anyone teach me the steps on
    > > how to proceed.
    > >
    > > If such an inquiry is not for this group, I appreciate information on which
    > > group to go. Thanks.
    > >
    > > fulio pen
    > >

    > Depends. If your server offers streaming you would set it up one way.
    > Or just put a link up and let the user click and allow it to download
    > and run in their default app for that file type.

    Or load up to YouTube and get the markup from there.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 22, 2013
  5. fulio pen

    fulio pen Guest

    On Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:48:47 PM UTC-4, fulio pen wrote:
    > Hello,
    >

    > I have a video in the hard drive. Its format is mp4, and about 30 minuteslong. I wanted to upload it to my web site, and ask other people to watch.I may have to make a web page for it. Could anyone teach me the steps on how to proceed.
    >

    > If such an inquiry is not for this group, I appreciate information on which group to go. Thanks.
    >

    > fulio pen

    Hello,

    Thanks a lot for your help. I've contacted the server people, and got the following response.

    start
    Yes, you can do that.
    Basically, people will download that file instead of stream it.
    If you want stream, you need to install 3rd party software for streaming.
    end.

    I guess your instructions are of downloading the file, rather than streaming, because streaming requires installing a third-party software. I originally downloaded the file from YouTube to my hard drive. It is in mp4 format.In order to use the skills you guys talked about, I have to first of all upload it to my web site. This is I like to do right now. Please teach me. Can an mp4 file be uploaded to the web site directly?

    Of course I will read your responses again carefully, hoping to learn more.Thanks for help again.

    This message should be placed at the very end of your discussions, to indicate i've read all your messages. But unfortunately, that way didn't work for me.
    fulio pen, Mar 22, 2013
  6. fulio pen

    fulio pen Guest

    Hi,

    I tried to upload the video file to my web site. This was my first time. The file is less than 30 min. long. but after starting. it said that the uploading will take nearly 5 hours. I stopped the uploading. Is such long time normal? Is there a way to compress the file to shorten the uploading time? Thanks for the information.

    fulio pen

    fulio pen, Mar 22, 2013
  7. fulio pen

    fulio pen Guest

    On Mar 22, 5:22 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:
    > fulio pen wrote:
    > > I tried to upload the video file to my web site.  This was my first
    > > time.
    > > The file is less than 30 min. long. but after starting. it said that the
    > > uploading will take nearly 5 hours.  I stopped the uploading.  Is such
    > > long time normal?

    > So what is the filesize?
    >
    > Can you afford the bandwidth charges when people start downloading it?
    >
    > > Is there a way to compress the file to shorten the
    > > uploading time?  Thanks for the information.

    > Depends on the upload speed of your ISP, most likely.
    >
    > --
    >    -bts
    >    -This space for rent, but the price is high

    The file size is 43.6 MB.

    I understand that after uploading the video file to my web site, when
    other people download it, I have to pay bandwidth charges to the web
    site owner. .

    I know there is also the way of streaming. A third-party software has
    to be purchased and installed to my computer or web site. . After
    that, people can watch a movie as they do on the YouTube. My question
    is where to find the third-party software? Is it quite expensive?
    Now I only need a couple of videos for this project, and may never
    need any in the future.

    Also, whether downloading or streaming, the file has to be uploaded
    to my web site first. This is the same step for both the methods.

    Thank you very much for your expertise. .

    fulio pen
    fulio pen, Mar 23, 2013
  8. fulio pen

    TK Guest

    On 3/23/2013 5:22 PM, fulio pen wrote:

    > I understand that after uploading the video file to my web site, when
    > other people download it, I have to pay bandwidth charges to the web
    > site owner. .

    A really effective (aka lazy) way of accomplishing what you (I think)
    are wanting is to upload the file to youtube and link to it as I have in
    my signature.

    They compress and handle all the bandwidth and you are able to display
    the information you want in the way you want.

    HTH

    --
    TK ~ aka Terry Kimpling
    http://wejuggle2.com/video.php