    page. [Priority 1]

    Instructions. | Page. | Code.
    wrong Links: There are 2 links activated through links.

    Ganesh, Jun 30, 2009

  2. Ganesh

    Ganesh Guest

    Checkpoint 8.1 - Result: wrong

    On Jun 30, 7:00 pm, Ganesh <> wrote:
    > I get error on this code when trying to check usinghttp://www.sidar.org
    >
    > Incorrecto <a href="javascript:void(0)" onclick="javascript:AddBookmark
    > ();" class="footer_links">Bookmark</a></div>
    >
    > Checkpoint 6.3 - Result: wrong
    >
    > Ensure that pages are usable when scripts, applets, or other
    > programmatic objects are turned off or not supported. If this is not
    > possible, provide equivalent information on an alternative accessible
    > page. [Priority 1]
    >
    > Instructions. | Page. | Code.
    > wrong Links: There are 2 links activated through links.

    Also get the following error for the following code

    Incorrecto <input name="ctl00$txtSearch" type="text"
    id="ctl00_txtSearch" name="textfield2" onkeypress="return
    searchKeyPress(event)" type="text" class="search_textbox" style="width:
    150px;" />

    Checkpoint 8.1 - Result: wrong

    Make programmatic elements such as scripts and applets
    directly accessible or compatible with assistive technologies.
    [Priority 1 if functionality is important and not presented elsewhere,
    otherwise Priority 2.]

    Instructions. | Page. | Code.
    wrong Scripts: Device dependant events are used and there are no
    redundant events.

    Ganesh, Jun 30, 2009

    http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/showpost.php?p=964935&postcount=6

    Jan C. Faerber, Jun 30, 2009
  4. Ganesh

    C A Upsdell Guest

    Ganesh wrote:
    > I get error on this code when trying to check using http://www.sidar.org
    >
    > Incorrecto <a href="javascript:void(0)" onclick="javascript:AddBookmark
    > ();" class="footer_links">Bookmark</a></div>
    >
    > Checkpoint 6.3 - Result: wrong
    >
    > Ensure that pages are usable when scripts, applets, or other
    > programmatic objects are turned off or not supported. If this is not
    > possible, provide equivalent information on an alternative accessible
    > page. [Priority 1]
    >
    > Instructions. | Page. | Code.
    > wrong Links: There are 2 links activated through links.

    This has nothing to do with validation. Or with HTML. Try a pertinent
    newsgroup.

    C A Upsdell, Jun 30, 2009
  5. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Ganesh
    <> writing in news:7747cc40-d4a2-44e3-
    :

    > I get error on this code when trying to check using

    http://www.sidar.org

    > Incorrecto <a href="javascript:void(0)"

    onclick="javascript:AddBookmark
    > ();" class="footer_links">Bookmark</a></div>
    >
    > Checkpoint 6.3 - Result: wrong
    >
    > Ensure that pages are usable when scripts, applets, or other
    > programmatic objects are turned off or not supported. If this is not
    > possible, provide equivalent information on an alternative accessible
    > page. [Priority 1]
    >
    > Instructions. | Page. | Code.
    > wrong Links: There are 2 links activated through links.

    It's not really an error, it's an advisory. It means that if javascript
    is unavailable, then the script will not work. Actually, I don't think
    this kind of thing works in any other browser except IE.

    Most people know how to bookmark, and they will not be looking for a
    link to bookmark. My advice is to just get rid of it.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 30, 2009
  6. Adrienne Boswell wrote:

    >> I get error on this code when trying to check using
    >> http://www.sidar.org

    That appears to be an accessibility checker. Such checkers are largely
    useless or worse, for various reasons. I once reviewed and tested some of
    them, with rather disappointing results, see
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/acctools.html and although things have
    changed, I'm afraid the situation is still dark.

    Authors waste their time in trying to understand confusing check results -
    and even start modifying their pages according to outdated advice, e.g.
    defining shortcuts for links with accesskey attributes (mostly detrimental
    to accessibility!).

    See also http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/bb.html which explains, among
    other things, why real accessibility thinking is so often replaced by
    official criteria which are in turn replaced by automated testers.

    Here's a proposed quick start to _practical_, achievable accessibility:
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/acc/

    Now let's see...

    >> Incorrecto <a href="javascript:void(0)"

    > onclick="javascript:AddBookmark
    >> ();" class="footer_links">Bookmark</a></div>

    The idea is foolish, and we don't need an accessibility checker to tell
    that. "Bookmark me" buttons were popular around 1996 or 1997, and they were
    dropped for a reason.

    Technically, if you even wanted to create a JavaScript-based pseudo-link
    that way, you would generate the link with JavaScript, so that it's not
    there at all when JavaScript is disabled.

    >> Instructions. | Page. | Code.
    >> wrong Links: There are 2 links activated through links.

    Huh? The wording surely isn't accessible.

    > It's not really an error, it's an advisory. It means that if
    > javascript is unavailable, then the script will not work.

    Well, obviously not, but more importantly the _link_ (or pseudo-link) cannot
    work but it is still there.

    > Most people know how to bookmark, and they will not be looking for a
    > link to bookmark. My advice is to just get rid of it.

    I think it was in late 1997 when we used to say that a "Bookmark me!" button
    or link was one of the sure indications that a page is not worth
    bookmarking.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 30, 2009
  7. On 30 Jun., 21:17, "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > The idea is foolish, and we don't need an accessibility checker to tell
    > that. "Bookmark me" buttons were popular around 1996 or 1997, and they were
    > dropped for a reason.
    >
    > > Most people know how to bookmark, and they will not be looking for a
    > > link to bookmark. My advice is to just get rid of it.

    > I think it was in late 1997 when we used to say that a "Bookmark me!" button
    > or link was one of the sure indications that a page is not worth
    > bookmarking.

    http://www.socialbookmarkscript.com/

    Just a link ...
    to tell something... huch -
    When you have a frameset everybody is angry because you cannot
    bookmark a special one.
    Like on the java doc.
    Now you have plenty pages without any framesets and specific urls with
    ids etc. for each content
    and at the same time plenty people adore twitter, facebook, youtube
    and so on.
    So a social bookmark script might be more interesting nowadays -
    depends on your page and
    on your taste for JS.

    Jan C. Faerber, Jul 1, 2009
  8. Jan C. Faerber wrote:

    > Just a link ...
    > to tell something... huch -

    Please excuse me while I get bored to death. If you cannot tell what the
    page is about, I won't follow the link.

    > When you have a frameset everybody is angry

    Of course, and justly. Get rid of slimy frames.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jul 1, 2009
  9. On 1 Jul., 18:26, "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:
    > Jan C. Faerber wrote:
    > > Just a link ...
    > > to tell something... huch -

    > Please excuse me while I get bored to death. If you cannot tell what the
    > page is about, I won't follow the link.

    Well, it's not my problem.

    > > When you have a frameset everybody is angry

    > Of course, and justly. Get rid of slimy frames.

    Now I get bored.

    Jan C. Faerber, Jul 1, 2009
  10. Ganesh

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 01 Jul 2009, "Jan C. Faerber" <> wrote:

    > On 1 Jul., 18:26, "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:
    >> Jan C. Faerber wrote:
    >> > Just a link ...
    >> > to tell something... huch -

    >> Please excuse me while I get bored to death. If you cannot tell what
    >> the page is about, I won't follow the link.

    > Well, it's not my problem.
    >
    >> > When you have a frameset everybody is angry

    >> Of course, and justly. Get rid of slimy frames.

    > Now I get bored.

    You 2 wild-and-crazy-guys need to get out more...

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, Jul 2, 2009
  11. Ganesh

    Ganesh Guest

    On Jun 30, 7:00 pm, Ganesh <> wrote:
    > I get error on this code when trying to check usinghttp://www.sidar.org
    >
    > Incorrecto <a href="javascript:void(0)" onclick="javascript:AddBookmark
    > ();" class="footer_links">Bookmark</a></div>
    >
    > Checkpoint 6.3 - Result: wrong
    >
    >         Ensure that pages are usable when scripts, applets, or other
    > programmatic objects are turned off or not supported. If this is not
    > possible, provide equivalent information on an alternative accessible
    > page. [Priority 1]
    >
    >     Instructions. | Page. | Code.
    >     wrong Links: There are 2 links activated through links.

    I have suggested to use the traditional Hold Ctrl+D message. Let's c

    Ganesh, Jul 2, 2009