    slow, insecure, and overpriced SAP system with an open source
    solution)?

    I am curious to read your opinions.

    Rene Schneider, Jul 13, 2004

  2. Rene Schneider

    Ira Baxter Guest

    "Rene Schneider" <> wrote in message
    > Has anybody ever experimented with something like an ABAP to PHP or
    > JSP translator?

    Not specifically with an ABAP translator. We have a draft ABAP front
    end for our DMS Software Reengineering Toolkit. We're more interested
    in quality checking issues for ABAP. (We also have PHP and Java back
    ends, so "techically" all one has to do is write translation rules :).

    > Can you think of any elements missing for this purpose from PHP/JSP
    > compared to ABAP?

    You mean other than the entire set of runtime libraries provided by SAP?

    > Do you think such a translator would be useful (e.g. to replace a
    > slow, insecure, and overpriced SAP system with an open source
    > solution)?

    Not my place to offer an opinion. If you "replace" SAP with identical
    function, my guess is the replacement will be expensive too. My
    understanding is that much of the cost is configuring SAP to do what
    you want. I'd guess a replacement product would have the same
    problems.
    --
    Ira D. Baxter, Ph.D., CTO 512-250-1018
    Semantic Designs, Inc. www.semdesigns.com