<abbr> and <acronym>

Marcus Stollsteimer

dorayme said:
being meant, it is just "radar" in capitals. When folk say or
write this word, it is just, by now, an English word meaning
devices and beams for detecting ....

(German submarines that are about to blow up Allied shipping...?
- or as in the marvellous Das Boot, roughly other way around...
Er, maybe that is going too far or is a bit in the past... but
the movies are still playing... better not go on or BdeZ will
increase my killfile time even further... (Can one be good inside
a kf and earn parole or something?)

that would have been SONAR, also an acronym :)

Regards,
Marcus

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Marcus Stollsteimer quothed:
that would have been SONAR, also an acronym :)

She's Australian so everything's rather down under...

dorayme

Marcus Stollsteimer said:
that would have been SONAR, also an acronym :)

The U boots were creamed when radar was fitted to planes like the
Catalina which bombed, strafed or intimidated them out of
existence. I dont know if the Germans had radar. Even if they
did the merest blip would have sent them below and afraid to
surface. Because of this they could not charge the batteries and
were rendered powerless. About 20% of submariners survived. The
submarine proper came about with nuclear power. Before that the
subs of the Germans an the Allies were really just submersible
boats. Did you know that the US boats had airconditioning? No
wonder they all looked so comfortable. You could smell the
stench of diesel, chlorine and worse in "Das Boot" and the fear
too...

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Marcus Stollsteimer quothed:

She's Australian so everything's rather down under...

So is Officer "Bud" White, deep down under, whom you will meet
and remember. Don't ask, even she does not fully know what
motivates her mongrel temper...

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
So is Officer "Bud" White, deep down under, whom you will meet
and remember. Don't ask, even she does not fully know what
motivates her mongrel temper...

Yes, but in the present case, I would have expected the term "dingo
temper" instead.

Did I mention I know jujitsu, karate, and mai tai?